big bhp for Cupra

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Thinkin of going with regal and Giac, lookin at Jbs's cc and the work theyre doing at the min too.. wouldve liked to have been the first with big turbo but with afghan coming up iv been so busy... will have plenty of money sitting doing nothing when i get back :)

Z's graph: the figures say about 290 doesnt it?? Seems low??

My apr phase 1 at min is that... my mates edition 3o had same apr phase 1 map and aparrently was running quite lean... gone with fuel pump and custom code on that, immense

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Thinkin of going with regal and Giac, lookin at Jbs's cc and the work theyre doing at the min too.. wouldve liked to have been the first with big turbo but with afghan coming up iv been so busy... will have plenty of money sitting doing nothing when i get back :)

Z's graph: the figures say about 290 doesnt it?? Seems low??

My apr phase 1 at min is that... my mates edition 3o had same apr phase 1 map and aparrently was running quite lean... gone with fuel pump and custom code on that, immense

DanGB already has a big turbo mate ;)

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
Most recent. As already posted above anyway!!!

main.php

This dynograph is taken with these mods on ? => "Yes APR Stage 2 + APR Fuel Pump and the APR 3" Turbo back exhaust."

I'm expecting something like 340bhp (from engine) with 98RON fuel and that graphs says max power ≈300bhp from Clutch... As above someone mentioned, that APR software and powerlevels are lower at the moment for Cupras engine than ED30 Golf if comparing these two models between....

Last edited:

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
It does not have to be that (APR) pricey though mate. The APR pump although very pricey, has been made up, pressure tested and is ready to be fitted to a car.

Yes APR is Pricey, but its have to remember that it is whole new system HPFP + with APR designed internals. You can sell your OEM pump for your Friend which is intrested to buy example AutoTech or KMDs offered version.

This is not propaganda, but this short clip from youtube showed the results when HPFP pump fails !! Yes.. Its heavy use and the car has Garret3071 turbo and the AutoTech HPFP....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ra-QgDQGfU

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
This dynograph is taken with these mods on ? => "Yes APR Stage 2 + APR Fuel Pump and the APR 3" Turbo back exhaust."

I'm expecting something like 340bhp (from engine) with 98RON fuel and that graphs says max power ≈300bhp from Clutch... As above someone mentioned, that APR software and powerlevels are lower at the moment for Cupras engine than ED30 Golf if comparing these two models between....

Bit of a myth 340hp to be honest at the moment at least, even the Ed30's are only producing around 10bhp more and the torque is sometimes lower with the same modifications. Generally i believe that it's due to different mapping. APR particularly have spent longer with the ED30 code than they have the Cupra. REVO on the other hand have developed quite a bit on the Cupra.

You can map for peak figures, but you just end up with it hitting peak power then dropping off sharply. You might say have 340hp for about 500rpm of your rev band, but you'll see it fall off in power pretty damn quickly.

In this case, my car has a genuine 300hp from 4500rpm to the limiter pretty much. Mega drivability almost right across the rev band.

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
Bit of a myth 340hp to be honest at the moment at least, even the Ed30's are only producing around 10bhp more and the torque is sometimes lower with the same modifications. Generally i believe that it's due to different mapping. APR particularly have spent longer with the ED30 code than they have the Cupra. REVO on the other hand have developed quite a bit on the Cupra.

You can map for peak figures, but you just end up with it hitting peak power then dropping off sharply. You might say have 340hp for about 500rpm of your rev band, but you'll see it fall off in power pretty damn quickly.

In this case, my car has a genuine 300hp from 4500rpm to the limiter pretty much. Mega drivability almost right across the rev band.

Yes so true !! The most important thing is that APR mapped powerlevels with HPFP is giving 300bhp so soon from the 4500rpms area to allmost up to ≈7000rpms, which means very good, fast response and drivability when accellerate.

edit: but I still expect more to come and maybe with Watermethanol inject system and with RaceFile it could give even more power :) APR IC could give also more longevity for power than OEM IC could handle....

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Yes APR is Pricey, but its have to remember that it is whole new system HPFP + with APR designed internals. You can sell your OEM pump for your Friend which is intrested to buy example AutoTech or KMDs offered version.

This is not propaganda, but this short clip from youtube showed the results when HPFP pump fails !! Yes.. Its heavy use and the car has Garret3071 turbo and the AutoTech HPFP....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ra-QgDQGfU

To be honest, there is no point in arguing this. I am aware that there is more to the APR pump than just the part that Autoech and KMD supply and as I noted, it is tested as a system therefore the higher cost, but APR designed internals are going to be much less proven than the OEM VAG article to be honest, and there are far less of them too.

My point was that you can buy another piece of kit that does the same thing for much less money.

With reference to the clip you posted, the pump on that golf was probably running bigger injectors, larger aperture piston and at higher pressure if it was tuned to run with a GT30 turbo.

Have you got a link to what actually happened to that Golf and what damage was caused?

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Totally agree with you dj, as i said in another thread you pay your money you takes your choice. I've not heard of any negatives to going with the lower cost internals over the full APR pump.

APR choose to do it the way they do it. I went that way because i dealt with Awesome and that's what they market.

I think the video of the Golf is ambiguous at best and scaremongering at worst. It's obviously a highly tuned example being driven very hard. I also agree, not enough information is presented to actually reveal why it decided to pop.

Normal fast road motoring over the course of the car's lifetime i suspect won't harm the car a great deal.

But no doubt over time we'll find that out, plenty of cars in the USA and now here are taking the next step to upgrade to the pumps.

iSot

Jan 30, 2008
Finland
To be honest, there is no point in arguing this. I am aware that there is more to the APR pump than just the part that Autoech and KMD supply and as I noted, it is tested as a system therefore the higher cost, but APR designed internals are going to be much less proven than the OEM VAG article to be honest, and there are far less of them too.

My point was that you can buy another piece of kit that does the same thing for much less money.

With reference to the clip you posted, the pump on that golf was probably running bigger injectors, larger aperture piston and at higher pressure if it was tuned to run with a GT30 turbo.

Have you got a link to what actually happened to that Golf and what damage was caused?

I'm not arguing anything. I'm just make a conversations for upgraded HPFP fuel systems. I'm not saying that APR or other else product is superior or the best or the worse.

This video link is from VWvortex forum. There is a thread in 2.0TFSI area where this cars owner tells more about his car and project.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3601844&postid=47923763#47923763

seat_lion

Oct 26, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
car in the video is JC and at the time he was running standard internals with gt3071R his build is crazy the failure was a seized autotech pump, hes now running a APR HPFP and has had no problems at all he has also since fitted uprated conrods and JE pistons and running roughly 380hp with use of watermeth, achieved 350whp without thou

should be noted that he is a VW mechanic so fitting of the autotech stuff couldnt really be done by anyone more suitable he is a well renowned for his modified dubs in the states has had a number of crazy builds and is just about to start turboing a mk5 r32

also should be noted alot of the revo code in the states was developed and tested on JC's car

38 page build thread all i can say is immense, i will def be going for a similar setup

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
car in the video is JC and at the time he was running standard internals with gt3071R his build is crazy the failure was a seized autotech pump, hes now running a APR HPFP and has had no problems at all he has also since fitted uprated conrods and JE pistons and running roughly 380hp with use of watermeth, achieved 350whp without thou

should be noted that he is a VW mechanic so fitting of the autotech stuff couldnt really be done by anyone more suitable he is a well renowned for his modified dubs in the states has had a number of crazy builds and is just about to start turboing a mk5 r32

also should be noted alot of the revo code in the states was developed and tested on JC's car

38 page build thread all i can say is immense, i will def be going for a similar setup

We will need to see if the APR unit stands up then eh. Time will tell. Remember though that it is not an Autotech pump - but a VAG pump with Autotech internals.

seat_lion

Oct 26, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
We will need to see if the APR unit stands up then eh. Time will tell. Remember though that it is not an Autotech pump - but a VAG pump with Autotech internals.

no need to be pedantic im well aware of what it is but considering all that is really left thats standard when changing the internals of the pump is the pump casing and electrics then calling it an autotech pump is not technically inaccurate as the apr pump changes the exact same parts only difference is apr changes the parts over in house, what do you think happens to the exchanged standard pumps

Al

Aug 29, 2005
no need to be pedantic im well aware of what it is but considering all that is really left thats standard when changing the internals of the pump is the pump casing and electrics then calling it an autotech pump is not technically inaccurate as the apr pump changes the exact same parts only difference is apr changes the parts over in house, what do you think happens to the exchanged standard pumps

Was not trying to be pedantic actually :).

With these parts being so new, it will probably be a while before any faults show up on any of the pump variants. JKM have advised they have a customer who has done between 20,000 and 30,000 miles on an Autotech Pump with no problems and another customer who has done over 10,000 miles on a JKM pump. One runs a K04 and the other a K03s.

Looks like you will be going with the APR pump like Z. Hopefully it, along with the KMD, Autotech, GIAC and whoever else does upgrades will all work with the K04 turbo.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Z, do you know if you can switch between programs on the move?
ive looked but cant find a yes/no answer.

cheers,
chris

I've been told no I can't, because of the way the newer ECU's reflash.

You must set it while in a dash lights on engine off scenario. Once the new setting is applied, then you have to turn off ignition for approx 10 secs, then you can start the car with the new program applied.

Ben CTR

Still Part Of VAG
May 6, 2003
Open Road...
Visit site
Interesting read lads.. Didn't realise this thread had carried on like this, I thought it was still on about the Autocar miss-print.. lol
I am very keen to see what Igor's car does once it's back on the rollers (with it being Revo mapped) now that the Stage 2+ and pump is on..
I for one won't be going any further with the mods, as personally can't justify spending 100's more £ for a couple more horses and a bit more midrange, when I got 320bhp 362lb/ft for £750 :D (Got my Milltek very cheap).. Would cost me nearly double that to get to get a few extra bhp, my warranty would go for a big fat $hit and I would probably be pushing my DSG box to far (especially with the mileage I do)..
All in all I am more than chuffed with the way mine is running (no fuelling issues or hiccups whatsoever, touch wood) and it's plenty quick enough to the point there's very little day to day cars that I come up against that can live with it..
Here are my 2 Awesome graphs to compare if anyone's interested..

First one ran end of April with 1100 miles on clock...

2nd one ran 7th June, 5k on clock but with the new Awesome RR software..