Had a major accident in the cupra last night :(

wazo786

Apr 3, 2006
Was doing about 65/70 while moving over from slip road onto the M74 from Hamilton heading into Glasgow, and it was PISSING it down

Dont have a clue what happened, but must have just tugged at the steering wheel a bit suddenly when changing lanes, back end spun out - tried correcting the car but weather didnt help and it went on to spin a few times on the slip road and then slid sideyways across 3 lanes and hit drivers side first into the crash barrier at a very high speed! :(

I walked away unhurt but very badly shaken and with minor bumps, but only after getting out and seeing the damage to the car did I realise just how lucky I was - even the Police agreed!

Front and back bumper and basically mangled and ripped to pieces, and drivers side panels are all bashed in, and the front drivers wheel arch has been crushed so much that the wheel wont turn - so Police had a bit of difficulty moving it onto the hard shouler!

Tarmac was full of all sorts of liquids - so looks like a lot of things have burst during the impact - and engine was smoking pretty badly

Was VERY lucky, because theres no kerb before the gravel starts at the side of that stretch of motorway - chances are if i had slid the way i was into a kerb, car would have flipped:headhurt:

Also - was 2am, so there was no traffic at all on the motrway - lucky, because it would have caused mayhem across all lanes seeing as the car slid across all of them!

Just a reminder at how rain has such a major impact on driving conditions.....and thats even with all 4 alloys wrapped in the best tyres available - Eagle F1 GDS3's

Last edited:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
It sounds like you were very lucky, its times like these that your glad you bought a Leon and not a Subaru or Civic
Bet you were hurtin a bit last night.
Are you fully insured?
Car looks lovely in your profile picture
Did you get any pictures?

wazo786

Apr 3, 2006
It sounds like you were very lucky, its times like these that your glad you bought a Leon and not a Subaru or Civic
Bet you were hurtin a bit last night.
Are you fully insured?
Car looks lovely in your profile picture
Did you get any pictures?

Nah no pics mate, it was the last thing on my mind tbh....plus i was shaking too much to even dial the correct numbers on my phone to dial 999, nevermind hold it still for some shots

Just glad im ok - got a bit of the usual whiplash, but seatbelt saved me!

A wake up call to those of you who refuse to wear seatbelts - and I know there are lots who fall into this category!

Skii

Jul 14, 2007
Slough
You are ok - that is by far the most important thing. The car is insured and can be replaced easily, you can't.

You WILL be getting another LC won't you .....? :D

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
sorry to hear , gutted about the car was very nice mate glad your ok and even though it was your pride and joy its only a bit of metal

Deleted member 13581

Glad your ok mate. Pity about the car.

That road was flooded to fcuk though. Standing water everywhere. And as ususal there was prob oil and everything on the road.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Hi Wazo,

As previously said glad you are ok. Know the exit. As far as I remember it has a long curving exit.

Anyway, always a silver lining as a visit to Livingstones or Bickets is in order as I assume the car is a write off.

wazo786

Apr 3, 2006
Yeah im fully insured, all mods declared - so thats not a problem

I have PI suspension - not everyones cup of tea, but never let me down in the past 2 years since it was fitted, even although im a very aggressive driver

I really dont know what caused it - weather was very bad though, A LOT of surface water, so may have just aquaplaned when i switched lanes

Airbag never came out, nor did the traction light flash ONCE during the spin or slide!

tbh - i LOVE the car, but if i get a insurance pay-out, i would probably change to something else, Audi A3 / Golf GTi / RX8 - but I also fancy myself a BTCC leon

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.