RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
mate pat has said DO NOT!!!!!!!! put threadlock in
just take blank alley bolt off and screw the sender in

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
pat i've been thinking about that threadlock.... im 100% sure theres still going to be a decent contact between the two parts. threadlock wont stop them touching it just fills the voids. even ptfe tape tears on the sharp edges of the threads..

youre into electrics like me are you not? you know how little contact you need for continuity..

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
pat i've been thinking about that threadlock.... im 100% sure theres still going to be a decent contact between the two parts. threadlock wont stop them touching it just fills the voids. even ptfe tape tears on the sharp edges of the threads..

youre into electrics like me are you not? you know how little contact you need for continuity..

Yeah but i also know how little it takes to screw it up - if there's contact but not enough quality of contact you don't know what effect that will have, especially on something like a gauge.

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
if the sender doesnt bottom out as such, then i can see how its possible to get a dodgy contact, but if it does bottom out im pretty sure it will be ok with threadlock.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
It's something i'd read on some of the VW forums when they were doing this, of course it depends on how much threadlock you use etc etc and i guess there could be other things interfering but you shouldn't need threadlock if you tighten the thing up properly.

Personally i wouldn't use threadlock in that application or PTFE tape for that matter - the thread should be a proper fit in the first place and if it wasn't i'd put the OE part back and look for a different part to fit that fitted properly.

I didn't use it on my sump plug and didn't need to :)

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
why would you need threadlock anyway??
im lost, surely this has no chance of coming undone as its on the top of the filter housing so no gravity effect over time and its not under a great force of pressure from the oil either to pop it out

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
The only reason you might use threadlock or ptfe would be to prevent leaks if the metal case expands or contracts faster than the sender unit which 'might' cause a leak. Either that or to ensure there's no slack threads the oil can work its way past.

However some people are paranoid and put the stuff on like spotty women put coverup on :)

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
i must admit i suppose each car is diff i had no oil or anything come out must of been lucky mind you pat its eye level to you isnt it? lol

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
ok i got problem. My sender is taperd. i know somone has had this problem also and they had there made non taperd at there work. I dont work at metal factory. I can get it nipped up but start the car and oil leeks. All i think of is ask someone to get it non taperd or get som washers and tread lock.

What u think??

234DSC00074.jpg

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
well mine was the same as that and had no probs does it screw in all the way or is there a gap? if so use the washer off of the blanking plug and put that on your sender i did that and worked a treat

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise