Am I missing something?

LCR64

I m just the cook.
Mar 24, 2006
Driving style.

If there are no obvious faults give it some time for your driving style to adjust. I came from a history of high revving jap cars and you have a tendency to "drive through" the power band without anything happening. Hold the boost and dont rev it much past 5500rpm and the LCR will fly but it always feels so smooth, its very deceptive. Took me a good 8 months hit the spot as I dont do many miles.

acs87

Hi Geoff - Welcome firstly!

From what i have learned on this site. The ECU can play quite a big part in the car feels. It learns how the driver drives and the loads that are expected of the engine.

It think, firstly it would benefit from resetting it and re-aligning the throttle body at the same time. Both easy to do. Have a search for instructions as its a very well talked about subject.

It might be woth plugging it in to a diagnostic tool like VAG-COM to make sure all is well and there are no fault codes. Perhaps try the reset first and have a drive to see if you think its any different.

Depending on where you are, if someone near you has VAG-COM, they can log some data from your engine to determine whether there are no boost leaks, or air flow problems, problems with timing or fuel etc... I am in Kent if you need some help in that dept..

The resetting definitely worked for me as the previous bloke only did short journeys and rarely gave it any welly! Resetting it made it learn how I drive instead.

Sorry to butt in, but would this ecu reset and throttle body alignment work on my mk 1 fr tdi? I was away from home for 4 months earlier in the year and left my car with my mum and dad, who somehow managed to clock up 5000 miles, which i was not too happy about!! but anyway ever since i came back it has felt different. Could it have learnt their driving styles?
tthanks
Alex

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Thanks; I think some of it is placebo, as in when im driving my clio like have stole it the sound of induction kit/ exhaust is fantastic however the std. lcr is quite tame in comparrison.

My head is spinning from all these part numbers and model specs that i cant see the woods for the tress lol

Thanks for the tips Andycupra,

In relation to the DV i assume Dump Valve? how easy are they to install, can a web designer do it? :) also can you damage you car if done wrong? also despite being very thick! i did manage to find the search facility but have still not worked out what a MAF is? seems to crop up a lot in topics.

Cheers again!

Geoff

The DV is a piece of cake for anyone. Its a straight swap for the original and its orrientation is self explanitory. The hardest bit is removing the 3x single use pipe clips. Just use jubilee clips instead! ;)

As for the MAF - Mass Air Flow sensor. It measures how much air is being sucked into the inlet of the turbo. This then can be matched my the right amount of fuel, controlled by the ECU. This ensured maximum efficiency and minimum c02 emmissions etc.

Good luck mate, I would help with the diagnostics that I so rapidly jumped to suggest but I am way down in Kent. :rolleyes:

You could request the help of someone on here in the VAG-COM forum if you haven't already. It would always be cheaper than the dealers.:D

Ninja

Cupra now gone :(
Oct 1, 2005
Reading
www.peugeot-gti.net
yep the dumpvalve takes about 5 minutes (it analyst here lol) and you really cant go wrong!!

As said above though once you remap it it should happily eat up the little clio :)

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Give it a bit of time mate, just get the dumpvalve uprated and dogbone done,
remap it and say bye bye to anythin that isn't a supercar, an EVO or a UK300 Scoob, as for an M3, instead of them leaving you at 100, you'll prob get by them!

Sunburn

Cheers guys for all your input, Its really helped alot, Last night on the way home I tried to adjust my own personal driving style as mentioned, by depressing the acclerator slowly rather then just flooring it and i was impressed with the speed pickup.

Also to further decide clio or leon, in the wee hours after dinner i took both cars out around the private block (hmmm) :) my conclusions are that the seat just needs to sound better! :)

With that in mind ill be listing my Clio (will miss her sooo very much) and proceed with ECU reset - DV - Dog Bone - Remap

Only other thing which I think would really help would be changing the suspension to coliovers and fitting arbs, has anyone had any expereince with this as in ...

1. Can arbs be fitted to the stock suspension on the lcr front and back or do you need coliovers.

2. Any preference in which coilovers offer best bang for buck, I appreciate the more you spen on them the better? or maybe im wrong?

Cheers all

Sunburn

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
You will get an S3 front strutt brace from Audi for £50
Change your front suspension bushes for polyflex ones (£17 each)
Rear ARB 28 mm (adjustable) Neuspeed £200
Dog bone mount bush is a must £30 changed
Suspension is personnel preference, many manufacturers KW, Koni ect

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Geoff

This will help you with everything. The pics and Torque settings are really handy. The only problem I had was doing up the long centre bolt as the new bushes wouldn't compress enough for the thread to bold....Have a vice handy!!
It is simple to do...I can't begin to design web sites and I did it!!

http://www.neuspeed.com/data/installs/22.10.89.pdf

If you describe that its the lower mount from the gearbox to the chassis. They should know what you mean.

Sunburn

Cheers long man thats a life saver, however how do i know when i have "Torque to 20 ft-lb. " + "Torque to 15 ft-lb"

thats whats getting me pickled. :) is thier a guage on a torque wrench? never seen not alone hold one :)

PS. what happens if you over tighten it? etc.

Geoff (Tim nice but dim)

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
A torque wrench is essentially a ratchet, like in a socket set.

You set it to a value in ft/lb or Nm (Newton Meters) and it will let you know when you reach the torque value you set. Usualy by clicking or some expencive gucci ones vibrate!!

This will stop you over tightening....You stop when it clicks/vibrates.

If you do over tighten. The inside of the car will be really noisey with the engine running and it will vibrate LOADS when you start up or pull away.

When you first fit it... It will seem really harsh and it will vibrate quite a bit but this does settle down after a week or so of driving. Its quite disconcerting at first.

Dec 19, 2006
The torque wrenches i use at work have a gauge on it, you twist the handle till you get to the desired torque setting, on the ones we use it has newton metres and ft-lb i think. If you over tighten the bolt then you risk stripping the thread on it which will cause major probs or when the bolt has maximum load on it then it could snap which is also a major problem.

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
sunburn this kind of contradicts whats actualll said above but have a look for your self

http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=503&Itemid=6

This is what i actually set mine too as its whats on our forum. But as far as under or over tightening if its under tightened there wont be much of an improvement and if its over tightened it will be more obvious improvements but will result in more vibrations.

Yeah, it is slightly different aye? I guess the difference in values is what a quater turn does as per the Neuspeed instructions.

That one gives you the torque for the big centre bolt that will give you the bush compression. I guess its prefference as to which values you use for the others, I bet they aren't far different with the extra 1/4 turn.

Sunburn

I think I'll get a garage to do it :) lol

I have to admit you guys seriously know your mechanical stuff! thanks you so much for helping me out !

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members