Front Components Mk4

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
oh when you say mdf ring...is this a ring going round the entire circumferance of the speaker, or 4 small rings that each nut& bolt go thro?

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
hi Phil, they should go around the entire circumference.

hi Ric. Do you mount the mdf with the same bolts as the speakers? Are the whole perfectly aligned with those of the doors? I bought some bolts plus some wood screws for the speaker. Will install everything next weekend most likely. btw, what size mdf did you use?

I got my Focals today!! :) They look great, although there is some rust on the back, but nothing that won't come off. I do think that I will end up having to stick the crossovers in the back, cause wow are they heavy! Probably velcro them to the back of the seats.

RichieRich

Mk4 Golf GT TDi
Sep 17, 2005
Oxfordshire :)
www.bebo.com
funboy get some dynamat and stick it to the door!!! they wont come off if done properly!!! it dont really matter what size mdf but the thicker prob the better sound quality... and of course it dont have to be perfect (it cant be anyway!!) who is going to see it after u put the door card back on?

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
bugger there arent any others for the mk4.

actually scratch that i can buy some mdf rims for a tenner or something. which i'm prepared to do!

does the mounting onto the mdf have to be as hard surfaces as possible? (ie metal to wood) or is it a good idea to put a layer of material or something to soften it?

Last edited:

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
hi Phil, they should go around the entire circumference.

hi Ric. Do you mount the mdf with the same bolts as the speakers? Are the whole perfectly aligned with those of the doors? I bought some bolts plus some wood screws for the speaker. Will install everything next weekend most likely. btw, what size mdf did you use?

I got my Focals today!! :) They look great, although there is some rust on the back, but nothing that won't come off. I do think that I will end up having to stick the crossovers in the back, cause wow are they heavy! Probably velcro them to the back of the seats.

Size of mdf depend upon your mounting depth, as to thick may foul with the door card, too thin will foul on the window. Think I either used 10mm or 12mm MDF.

Tried best I could to aline central with the orignial speaker hole then stuck it with no more nails and used electrical tape to hold it in position. Then I dynamated the entire door and MDF ring. Lapped it over the ring and stuck it the other side of the door. If you follow me?

Then just screwed in the speakers with the standard screws for the box, biggest nightmare for me was fitting the 60mm diameter tweeter into that triangle bit where the original one was housed.

Last edited:

funboy.ch

Feb 15, 2007
Switzerland
Thanks for the info Ric. I'll try my luck with 16mm MDF cause the Focal KPs have a 71mm mounting depth :( . I really hope they fit okay, otherwise I will have a big problem.

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
i just had one of my questions answered!

so put the bolts into the mdf from the outside pionting in, till they mount the mdf securely and solidly , then screw the speaker onto the mdf, screwing into the mdf wood as the speaker base?

key point being that you can reach thro an mdf ring to the inside of the door to fix the bolts pointing 'in', but you can't reach thro a speaker

edit - so the speaker's screws won't be going into the original drilled holes, they will just be secured to the mdf ...?

Last edited:

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
right i see yea....

drill rivets out
secure mdf ring onto hole
screw the bolts thro from the toher side thro the mdg ring till it sits tight
wire up the speaker
mount speaker onto bolts
spin nuts onto bolts and tighten

:)

Ric 2001

Need an ID-ten-T form
drill rivets out
secure mdf ring around the original hole with said bolts
screw the bolts thro from one side thro the mdf ring till it sits tight
wire up the speaker
mount speaker onto MDF with bolts stick out from where screw holes in the speaker
spin nuts onto bolts and tighten

thus omitting the screws but you have to measure the screw points and mark them on the MDF so they are in the correct spot.

Last edited:

Phil_beeza

May 15, 2007
i reckon a reasonable bit of padding sandwiched between the triangle, and the metal, would hold it ok?