Missing power

T7ODD

My car had a 40k service yesterday at Volkscraft in Exeter (very knowledgable chap). While it was there I asked for him to look for boost leaks or any reason why I've never seen full requested boost since my remap. I've changed N75 valve, checked air filter and changed dump valve. He came back with the following.

1. No boost leaks

2. Car is running spot on at idle, best he's seen in a long time but is running unacceptably rich under full load only.

3. Requested load is very high and my actual load is nowhere near.

4. Timing looks very conservative compared to Revo cars he's looked at.

5. When changing the oil on the service, it was very low so it's getting through oil but not exactly sure on how much.

He did agree with me that it smelt a bit eggy when he took it into the workshop which still throws suspicion at a blocked cat but then if it's running rich on full load maybe the cat would smell?

I came away will the following possibilities.

1. The turbo is shafted (but then again it spools up fine and it's only since the remap in November that the car has shown an issue and it hasn't got any worse).

2. The cat is blocked.

3. It's the map maybe asking too much and the car is refusing and pulling back.

or I've thought of...

4. The FMIC is blocked (but it looks in really good condition - how could I check this?)

Does anyone have any ideas? Many thanks.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
doubt its the turbo, there would be other symptoms

could be cat, emissions check probably tell you if it was

most logical points to the map itself as i remember viewing the logs and it was abit odd

why would you think its the fmic? you could bypass it with a piece of pipe and then check. IATs will be sky high but if it was clogged up it should boost better, however if it were, it would be relatively slow now and you'd be really concerned, so i dont think it is

you mention it runs rich at the top, did you ever check maf? perhaps you should again

T7ODD

I did MAF logs a while back after I'd changed it. That was the first port of call back in November.

I don't see why it would be the intercooler, just that it was a Laguna one from a breaker and I'm running out of ideas.

The car passed it's MOT without any emissions problems which I was told about in April.

It seems that air is getting lost somewhere under load. Otherwise it's the map.

Actually, thinking of the MAF... what readings should a mapped car be getting? If I'm getting those readings but only registering 10psi on my actual boost, what does that mean?
Or should the MAF reading be comparitive to my actual boost? What if it is? What is it's not?

Last edited:

Olly20VT

Jun 8, 2004
Stroud Glos ,England
I think it COULD be the turbo because if the seals are gone it would use oil and not run aswell but sould still run, also if your car is maped the it may have just finished the turbo off, i also think it could be the map, who did your remap?

T7ODD

I understand what you're saying about the turbo but it seemed to run fine before the remap. When I had it remapped it just never gave the performance I was expecting and the performance is now difference now to immediately after the remap. I'd have thought the turbo would worsen? It gave 8/9psi when standard and after the remap only gave 10psi sometimes bordering on 11psi according to my guage which seems consistent with vagcom logs. The only time I see more and can see 15psi is under full load in a high, unsuitable, gear on a steep hill with foot to the floor. It's still boosting exactly the same as immediately after the remap (6 months on). I've never ever seen the requested boost.
Remap was done at p-torque where many others have been fine.
I'm very baffled. :confused:

T7ODD

I've also come up with option 5...
Actuator.

Now, I do have a Forge replacement sitting in my cupboard which was never fitted due to the original housing having to be drilled out slightly to take thethicker rod. Can anyone tell me if the actuator is the same for the K03 and k03s as I might have to start looking into taking the plunge on a k03s to see if that resolves it and I may as well put the Forge actuator on at the same time.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
yeah should be ok to use the forge actuator, however it needs to be set up correctly monitoring WG duty and boost levels. somebody had one fitted to a k03s before, set up by Jabbasport and it was running 26psi for about 4/5months until it destroyed the turbo

so be wery

however personally i dont believe this to be your problem, but unfortunatly i cannot think of a more suitable solution that you haven't already tried

Last edited:

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Dan Cupra R had a few problems with his re-map from p-torque, and had to have it mapped a 2nd time. He did also have a few engine problems at the time though. As for the FMIC ive heard that you can take it off anf flush it threw with some gunk. Might be worth a try for the price of a bottle. Sorry cant be any more help that that.

David.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
I understand what you're saying about the turbo but it seemed to run fine before the remap. When I had it remapped it just never gave the performance I was expecting and the performance is now difference now to immediately after the remap. I'd have thought the turbo would worsen? It gave 8/9psi when standard and after the remap only gave 10psi sometimes bordering on 11psi according to my guage which seems consistent with vagcom logs. The only time I see more and can see 15psi is under full load in a high, unsuitable, gear on a steep hill with foot to the floor. It's still boosting exactly the same as immediately after the remap (6 months on). I've never ever seen the requested boost.
Remap was done at p-torque where many others have been fine.
I'm very baffled. :confused:

post some logs of requested vs actual boost and also block 118 N75 duty cycle to judge how hard its trying to achieve

T7ODD

Bump - was my log any use? Does anybody know why my N75 load isn't 100%?
Is it worth bypassing the N75 to see what happens or anything else I can try with that respect to narrow down the issue of whether it's linked to turbo, wastegate or actuator? Thank you.

Oct 17, 2006
Walthamstow
The n75 should never reach 100% - it should reach about 95% i believe - sorry am i right in thinking you havnt got any fault codes coming up which might point in the direction?

Dan Cupra R

The Yellow Sub
May 2, 2006
Reading
I would speak to will and get him to look at the map again, thats what I did and now the car boosts fine, so much much more than before, really does feel a different car since the 2nd map.

Now you have no faultcodes I would get the map looked at and maybe redone again without the fault codes.:)

I havent looked back since......

T7ODD

Will has been helpful all the way through and has said to post my ecu to him. I just have to try and do without the car for a few days.

I've never had any performance fault codes on the car.
Besides, Will clears any old codes before doing the map anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Weird logs, your actual is way down on requested but your WG duty is low as if its not trying at all.

Has your wastegate been played with before?

Your map is requesting 17psi at 6500, a bit hopeful from a k03... wish mine did that.

T7ODD

your WG duty is low as if its not trying at all.
Has your wastegate been played with before?

This is what I don't understand. As far as i know the turbo hasn't been touched and the car only had 40k on the clock at the time of remap.
What would cause the WG duty to be low?
N75? - I've changed this and made no difference and checked for kinks in the pipework.
Faulty turbo?
Dodgy actuator?

seli_babe

Don't Mess....
Nov 22, 2005
Bedfordshire
Have you tried driving it with out the map, to see if you pull properly since you had the map put on..

That might be worth a go.. at least that way you'll know if your car is running OK std.

T7ODD

Have you tried driving it with out the map, to see if you pull properly since you had the map put on..

That might be worth a go.. at least that way you'll know if your car is running OK std.

The car seemed to be running fine before on the standard map.
I'd just fitted the Laguna intercooler and saw no decrease in boost. I was getting 8/9 psi and pulling hard.
After the remap was done, on first test drive I felt more of an urgency lower down the revs as if the car was more responsive but when I put my foot down it didn't seem to pull any harder than before but this must be due to my missing boost.

-pseudonymous-

Oct 28, 2005
This is what I don't understand. As far as i know the turbo hasn't been touched and the car only had 40k on the clock at the time of remap.
What would cause the WG duty to be low?
N75? - I've changed this and made no difference and checked for kinks in the pipework.
Faulty turbo?
Dodgy actuator?

Yeah your actual isn't meeting requested which would usually point to a boost leak. But your wastegate isn't jammed shut to make up for lost boost which is strange. Sounds like either a mapping problem or maybe the actuator has been tampered with.

You should feel a big difference with a re-map also so something isnt right.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.