APR or Bells Auto???

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
I've always been of the opinion that the map comes last. The map will be based on many variables, many of which can be affected by changing engine parts, even if they are only minor bolt-on parts. Now I appreciate that they may only make a tiny difference, but it's a difference none the less.

I'm no mechanic so I'm not for one second going to argue with somebody obviously more clued up than me. But I personally would prefer to know the map I'm getting - assuming we're talking custom here - is based around the exact setup of my engine and related items. Even minor changes can have an affect so I'd personally want it to be as accurate as possible.

I would have been of that opinion myself, but having had "custom" maps on heavily modded cars in the past, I feel qualified to say that a "generic" map can work better.

Don't forget, the ECU is always adjusting, start off with a custom mapped car and with a generic one, then drive for 1000 miles and they would have both adapted.

Why do you think the custom one would have adapted more than the generic one?

What do you think needs to be adjusted on the custom one anyway?

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
You're presuming that:

1) there's something wrong with the OE kit you're removing
2) that the resolution / tools used to taylor the map effectively
3) old sk00l tech that didn't have adaptive & clever ECU's

Is this aimed at me mate?

If so can you explain please :shrug: :shrug: thanks

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Bigjode - In that case, what's the point in a custom map if it's not to adjust it to the exact setup of your engine? And what's the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 maps if they can both adjust to suit whatever changes are made to the car? Surely just save your money and stick with Stage 1 and it will adjust itself?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Same with Revo I think. It reverts back to a Revo-version of stock. You should be able to have your ECU flashed back to Seat standard though?

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Seems RobM is thinking exactly the same as me here.

Just want some guidance :)

For sure. I'm desperately trying to word my posts to show I'm not arguing with anybody here, in fact I love these sort of conversations as you actually gain something from it :)

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Bigjode - In that case, what's the point in a custom map if it's not to adjust it to the exact setup of your engine? And what's the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 maps if they can both adjust to suit whatever changes are made to the car? Surely just save your money and stick with Stage 1 and it will adjust itself?

No, you are right, I over simplified my analysis, but I think that the whole custom game over complicates it. Again, I'm no expert here, But i believe some tuners will tell you something is custom to make more money out of it, when really they're only adjusting a few parameters.

If you increase the boost and timing because someone has an FMIC, and adjust the power so that it is more linear, you could call that custom. You could also just call it Revo stg2 with an SPS.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org

Think you nearly answered your own question

A tailored solution will only show advantages from stage 2 onwards IMO

Stage 1 tuning take you pick and consider the bigger picture
- R&D
- Customer Service
- Distance you need to go back if you have issues/problems
- future plans for modifications / tuning
etc
etc

1001 previous threads on this :rolleyes:

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
well i've phone awesome just there n the guy is def saying it reverts back to stock and that he has had people after the apr trial going with another company... he said that there shouldn't be a problem with anyone else trying to remap it...

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
still bit sceptical about it though, waste of a day n money if it needs soldered, i don't want anything physically done to the ecu.

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Is this aimed at me mate?

If so can you explain please :shrug: :shrug: thanks

Don't think Mork's comment was aimed at your car m8.

He was just giving situations where a custom map would work better:

1 - if you had a fault with your parts
2 - if the tuner and his tools are actually effective/skilled
3 - if the ECU didn't do any adapting itself.

I think thats what he was saying

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
No EEprom in the world can instruct itself to write over itself....

the switching routine that is built in might be the same, but it will still have remnants of the performance trial built in (isn't full APR the same as trial APR?)

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
Don't think Mork's comment was aimed at your car m8.

He was just giving situations where a custom map would work better:

1 - if you had a fault with your parts
2 - if the tuner and his tools are actually effective/skilled
3 - if the ECU didn't do any adapting itself.

I think thats what he was saying

Oh i get it now :rolleyes:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Bigjode - In that case, what's the point in a custom map if it's not to adjust it to the exact setup of your engine??

CUSTOM remappring is not a bespoke remap for your car, It's clever marketing, a closer description would be "Tailored version of Generic" or "Tweaked as best they can to suit you car".

what's the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 maps if they can both adjust to suit whatever changes are made to the car? Surely just save your money and stick with Stage 1 and it will adjust itself?

Stage 2 maps run with Higher boost, use 4bar FBR for more fuel and require exhaust mods and intercoolers etc. They are set up for these mods and on an LCR they extract another 10bhp or so.....they also sustain peak figures further into the rev range.

On the road IMHO the £1,000+ of mods needed for 10bhp is better spent on suspension upgrades as they may pull a car length or two down the straight but you will make up more through the twisties

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Stop typing and 'Search' :worship: Excellent!

Although yours should say "stop prowling the SEAT boards and join the badge snobs at Audiworld.com" ;)

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
When I got my Bell remap - I specified EXACTLY when I wanted the power to come in, and how much. have a look at my review in the Bell Auto section.

3 1/2 hour drive eh..............................just think of the fun on the way home lol

ps - I'd take your radio codes with you & reset ECU before coming home, as mine took a few days to adapt. If you reset ECU, you should feel the power right away.

Pete from BA is recommended by me - I dont think he has had one complaint from SCN :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.