APR or Bells Auto???

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
of course it hasnt Mork.

obvo im not qualified enough to talk bout all this so....

MY OPINION i would buy filter first.

END

gtd86

Doctor of driving
Sep 9, 2006
www.batit.com
yeh just spoke to pete the now, he says won't make any difference at all wether i put it in before or after...only bi*ch is though, that beacause i've had an apr trial he reckons something might be wrong with the ecu n that it would require him to solder the ecu???... im a bit annoyed if that the case... should i contact APR???

Can Sarah shed any light on this please?

bigjode

Feb 25, 2006
Same goes for a random rolling road.....

No, an RR is about as accurate as the torque reading on a std car. The torque reading on remapped car is about as accurate as my mate jack telling me my 0-60 is 3 secs cuz he timed on his Timex while I sped past his bedroom window.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
im not qualified enough to talk bout all this so....

MY OPINION i would buy filter first.

I'm nosey

What facts do you base it on?

People have repeated back to back tests with std, panel filter, induction kit, enclosed induction kit, relocated induction kit - with otherwise standardised components & have shown either no gain, or minimal loses or minimal gains from a any modified components when compared to a paper filter.

If it's a question of air fuel, an accurately reading MAF ensures that's right (along with MAP etc)

I'm not knocking any products, just not sure why you think it makes a blind bit of difference at this level of tuning

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
No, an RR is about as accurate as the torque reading on a std car. The torque reading on remapped car is about as accurate as my mate jack telling me my 0-60 is 3 secs cuz he timed on his Timex while I sped past his bedroom window.

dont understand that?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
yeh just spoke to pete the now, he says won't make any difference at all wether i put it in before or after...only bi*ch is though, that beacause i've had an apr trial he reckons something might be wrong with the ecu n that it would require him to solder the ecu???... im a bit annoyed if that the case... should i contact APR???

Can Sarah shed any light on this please?

I wouldn't let anyone open my ECU unless they will pay for a new one when / if it fails.

Some tuners don't have the tools to flash to stock (if some trial codes have been loaded) - so I would go back to APR & ask them to flash to stock (this may cost) but it will be better than having your ECU openned.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
maybe he's confused about the spring in the wastegate.

spring in a DV needs no change (though the one that's in it will most likely be fine)

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
I'm nosey

What facts do you base it on?

People have repeated back to back tests with std, panel filter, induction kit, enclosed induction kit, relocated induction kit - with otherwise standardised components & have shown either no gain, or minimal loses or minimal gains from a any modified components when compared to a paper filter.

If it's a question of air fuel, an accurately reading MAF ensures that's right (along with MAP etc)

I'm not knocking any products, just not sure why you think it makes a blind bit of difference at this level of tuning

As i said im no expert mate.

Ive just PM'd himasking about changing spring in my DV and he thinks that he would have to tweak my map ifi changed it.

So if it needs tweaking cos of different spring in a DV then i would of though putting a differen CAI on would also make a difference?

Im probably wrong though.

Going of what i have been told thats my opinion wrote there.

Unless of course i havemis understood???

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've always been of the opinion that the map comes last. The map will be based on many variables, many of which can be affected by changing engine parts, even if they are only minor bolt-on parts. Now I appreciate that they may only make a tiny difference, but it's a difference none the less.

I'm no mechanic so I'm not for one second going to argue with somebody obviously more clued up than me. But I personally would prefer to know the map I'm getting - assuming we're talking custom here - is based around the exact setup of my engine and related items. Even minor changes can have an affect so I'd personally want it to be as accurate as possible.

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
Thanks ruddmeister.

This is again what confuses me though, Forge specifically say on there website what spring should be used at what PSI, why would they do that if it makes no difference?

Imnot being funny, just asking a question :)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
You're presuming that:

1) there's something wrong with the OE kit you're removing
2) that the resolution / tools used to taylor the map effectively
3) old sk00l tech that didn't have adaptive & clever ECU's

Dodson

Extreme Blue
Feb 9, 2005
Redcar
I've always been of the opinion that the map comes last. The map will be based on many variables, many of which can be affected by changing engine parts, even if they are only minor bolt-on parts. Now I appreciate that they may only make a tiny difference, but it's a difference none the less.

I'm no mechanic so I'm not for one second going to argue with somebody obviously more clued up than me. But I personally would prefer to know the map I'm getting - assuming we're talking custom here - is based around the exact setup of my engine and related items. Even minor changes can have an affect so I'd personally want it to be as accurate as possible.

This is the way i always thought aswell mate :shrug:

Im not arguing with people that are more clued up than me, im purely just going of what different people are telling me.:blink:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
You're presuming that:

1) there's something wrong with the OE kit you're removing
2) that the resolution / tools used to taylor the map effectively
3) old sk00l tech that didn't have adaptive & clever ECU's

No, not really to be honest. I'm presuming that the new filter will flow differently at different speeds to the OE kit and the tuner knows exactly how to extract the very best performance out of the engine in any state of tune.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members