More proof Diesel is the way ahead

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Those French will then say that they was the first....

Fish

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
It never seemed fair to me that diesel cars are allow bigger engines at Le Mans than petrol ones. Shouldn't they both use the same size engines. Or is that the only way a diesel can beat a petrol car ;)

alock

May 3, 2004
It never seemed fair to me that diesel cars are allow bigger engines at Le Mans than petrol ones. Shouldn't they both use the same size engines. Or is that the only way a diesel can beat a petrol car ;)

...and more importantly, they are allowed a larger air intake diameter. There is always an ideal fuel-air ratio which develops the most power. Restricting the amount of air in the engine restricts power.

I think now the proof of concept has occured they should bring engine size, air intake and boost pressure in line with the petrol engines. If you think this is unfair, we should actually be going further by restricting the raw energy going into the engine (don't forget diesel fuel has more potential engine per litre than petrol). The octain rating of fuel is limited but in a very diesel friendly way.

devonutopia

fabia-lous
Mar 30, 2004
Exmouth / Exeter
Isn't this just copying Audi and its development of the R7? I think it won Leman 24hr recently too. Just boils down to economy. The R7 wasn't the all out fastest car on the track (i think) but it could do more laps on a tank of fuel, so needed less stops - which is where it made up serious time. :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.