Robbie C's Ibiza Cupra

ian_cupra

not been having much luck with this have you mate? hopefully it will all sort itself out :)

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
damn, so proper setbacks there mate.

From the pics I can definately say that the necks of the turbo don't seem to line up. Hope that the turbo place thinks the same...

these kind of problems are bound to happen though. Sounds all to familiar. lol

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Yeah I think it's somewhat inevitable with any project - just frustrating that it sets me back but c'est la vie. I'm going to send Matt these pictures this morning and hopefully arrange to send it back to them ASAP before ringing SEAT to sort the fuel pump out. Fun and games!

jamiebennett81

is it me, but have they welded this on straight...or at the correct angle? looks ok, but not quite right if you get what I mean

P1000460.jpg

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
that picture makes it look bent, which is why and where it is hitting the manifold..
TD **** up imho

jamiebennett81

that picture makes it look bent, which is why and where it is hitting the manifold..
TD **** up imho

phew.....thought I needed to go to spec savers:rolleyes::cartman:

EIT: if it is bent, that would explain why it is not clearing the manifold by a couple of mm then as per below

P1000472.jpg

glad to see a supplier providing good aftercare though, thats the main thing, all be it a PITA :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Agreed :)

This is the latest from TD after I emailed them these latest pics:

Hi Rob,

I can see the difference and it coincides with some extra material on the manifold as well. I do think you are slightly missing the point though as you comparing it to a different turbo, the MD445 is designed as a replacement for a K03S -0052 turbo which is not your original turbo. We are happy to have a look at the turbo and manifold to try and find a way around the problem however I feel I should point out that unless the angles of the MD445 are incorrect in relation to the angles of the K03-0052 turbo then it would be chargeable. Of course if the angle of the outlet pipe on the MD445 has been incorrectly positioned in relation to the K03-0052 then it will be rectified.

I think the best course of action would be to package the turbo and manifold and either send it down to us or let me know where it is and when it’s ready and I’ll send a courier in to collect (again chargeable at £13.00 + vat unless the angles are wrong as per above). Once the unit arrives here at TD we will treat it as an urgent case and try and turn it around the same day for you

Best Regards

Matt Waterman
Turbo Dynamics Ltd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Matt,

Just to give you the latest update from my side - I removed the turbo last night and compared it side-by-side to my standard K03 and as per the attached pictures the angles are quite different. The neck on the MD445 bends back quite a bit further than my K03 which is exactly where this is fouling the manifold.

As such, can you advise how best to proceed from here? As this is an urgent issue for me I'm prepared to book a day off and bring the turbo and manifold into Turbo Dynamics perhaps one day next week if there would be someone available to look at this the same day?

Many thanks,

Rob

So basically, if the fault is found to be with this angle then it will be rectified free of charge as necessary. While I know it's difficult to get an accurate perception for angle from pictures, the following side-by-side comparison of a K03 next to a K03S (0052) also makes me think that this angle simply isn't quite right:

k03s-k03.jpg

I guess we'll see next week :)

I've also been chasing SEAT this morning who now acknowledge that they have a batch of incorrectly packaged parts in their warehouse which is now being rectified. Fingers crossed I may have the correct pump for the weekend.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Well small highlight today as my bespoke Pro Alloy intercooler arrived, and it looks sexual :D

It's a fully brazed aluminium core using extruded tube and fin construction, just like their normal Cupra kits and has been custom made as a replica of the AM Motorsport FMIC that used to be available before they stopped trading a few years ago. The pictures don't even do it justice in my opinion but here it is:

P1000488.jpg

P1000489.jpg

P1000490.jpg

P1000492.jpg

P1000495.jpg

The core volume is in-between the standard Forge and Pro Alloy kits which should be very well suited for this application. Here's how they compare in size (given in mm):

Code:
Forge Ibiza MK3 FMIC:
===================

Core size: 450 x 350 x 40 = 6300000

Pro Alloy FMICs:
===============

Core size 1: 580 x 310 x 40 = 7192000 (this keeps air con)

Core size 2: 540 x 310 x 50 = 8370000 (this one requires the removal of air con)

Rob's Pro Alloy FMIC:
==================

Core Size: 560 x 195 x 63 = 6879600

Some of you may remember reading http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198327&page=4 whereby I started off with a Forge cooler but this ended up being smaller than anticipated after using some incorrect measurements so after some serious thought I decided to get another core made, this time with Pro Alloy and I have to say there's a noticeable difference in quality. Don't get me wrong, the Forge cooler was very well made but this one is simply flawless and their customer service was also impressive (how refreshing!).

In other news, Turbo Dynamics have received my turbo and manifold but that's as much as I know at the moment - I'm going to chase that up tomorrow as I need these back before I can go any further really.

SEAT have also now got the correct fuel pump in ready for me to collect on Saturday, by which time I *should* also have my HiSpec brakes as well :)

Last edited:

jamiebennett81

I think the comparison of Old Vs new speaks volumes

Old:

P1000373.jpg

New

P1000492.jpg

looks much cleaner

May 2, 2006
Well small highlight today as my bespoke Pro Alloy intercooler arrived, and it looks sexual :D

It's a fully brazed aluminium core using extruded tube and fin construction, just like their normal Cupra kits and has been custom made as a replica of the AM Motorsport FMIC that used to be available before they stopped trading a few years ago. The pictures don't even do it justice in my opinion but here it is:

P1000488.jpg

P1000489.jpg

P1000490.jpg

P1000492.jpg

P1000495.jpg

The core volume is in-between the standard Forge and Pro Alloy kits which should be very well suited for this application. Here's how they compare in size (given in mm):

Code:
Forge Ibiza MK3 FMIC:
===================

Core size: 450 x 350 x 40 = 6300000

Pro Alloy FMICs:
===============

Core size 1: 580 x 310 x 40 = 7192000 (this keeps air con)

Core size 2: 540 x 310 x 50 = 8370000 (this one requires the removal of air con)

Rob's Pro Alloy FMIC:
==================

Core Size: 560 x 195 x 63 = 6879600

Some of you may remember reading http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=198327&page=4 whereby I started off with a Forge cooler but this ended up being smaller than anticipated after using some incorrect measurements so after some serious thought I decided to get another core made, this time with Pro Alloy and I have to say there's a noticeable difference in quality. Don't get me wrong, the Forge cooler was very well made but this one is simply flawless and their customer service was also impressive (how refreshing!).

In other news, Turbo Dynamics have received my turbo and manifold but that's as much as I know at the moment - I'm going to chase that up tomorrow as I need these back before I can go any further really.

SEAT have also now got the correct fuel pump in ready for me to collect on Saturday, by which time I *should* also have my HiSpec brakes as well :)

you going to get some proper pipework to go with this nice cooler? :)
looking good

bad news on the turbo but at least (hope) they will sort it FOC

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Yeah I'm going to make up my own pipework using a mandrel bent alumimium kit from ebay, similar to Danny's and following the TT route down the wing so as to keep it as free flowing as possible :)

I got an email back from TD this morning who hope to look at the turbo today so we shall see...

jamiebennett81

Yeah I'm going to make up my own pipework using a mandrel bent alumimium kit from ebay, similar to Danny's and following the TT route down the wing so as to keep it as free flowing as possible :)

I got an email back from TD this morning who hope to look at the turbo today so we shall see...

great stuff mate

that comparison pic of the two turbo's...the angle on the standard one was definitely different and not as sharp.....which clearly equates to the clearance of the mani

I hope its good news today:)

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
OK so on Friday I had an email from TD to explain that the angle of the compressor housing had been checked and found to be correct.

When I asked as to how they verified that this angle was definitely correct Matt explained that:

We have the build specs from KKK Borg Warner themselves which include the angles the turbo should be built to, the turbo is correct to these angles. As a further check I have a K03S here which we checked it against and it is correct. As you can see from the pictures attached I then took the standard K03S and offered it up to the manifold…it is clear that even a standard K03S would not fit this manifold. The perculator fouls on the manifold in exactly the same place as the hybrid unit.

These were the pictures he was talking about which clearly shows that this manifold still fouls a standard K03S - pointing the finger at JBS:

CIMG2635-1.jpg

CIMG2634-1.jpg

CIMG2633-1.jpg

CIMG2632-1.jpg

Looping in Mike at JBS to take this further, I was then told the following - which I'll let you gather your own opinions from:

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:19 PM
To: Rob Clarke
Subject: Re: K03S Hybrid Spec - Order #: SOR003259

Hi Rob,

At the time Chris Curzons manifold was stated for use with non-silenced turbos if the information was not passed on from Chris unfortunately I cannot help.

Regards

Mike O'Brien
Service Manager

----- Original Message -----
To: JBS Auto Designs
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:07 PM

Hi Mike,

Matt at TD has advised he is able to swap the compressor cover for what he described as the JBS spec MD486 which is meant to be identical minus the silencer. My issue here is that I will be left to pick up the bill for something I do not believe I should be paying for.

Regards,

Rob

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 4:02 PM

Hi Rob,

It was stated on some of the early ones - they were then re-designed to kit K03 units with silencers. But we are no longer selling these so I do not have a replacement to offer you at the moment, which is the major problem.

Did TD come back to you with the option of removing the silencer?

Regards

Mike O'Brien
Service Manager

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 2:05 PM

Hi Mike,

Just to add to this, Leigh had no heard of any issues with this fitment in the past as per http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=214472&page=4 and states that he has mated one to a silenced K03S in the workshop without any problems.

I understand you also spoke to Matt over the phone who then told me:

"I have just spoken to Mike @ JBS and he has confirmed that the K03S resonator box (silencer) can foul on their manifold on some cars but not on all of them, because of this they order a slightly different turbo which does away with the resonator box. I am now trying to source a compressor cover from the JBS spec which would help out your particular application"

In my eyes therefore, this is a manufacturing fault?

Many thanks,

Rob

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 1:59 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I find this a little odd as Ian_Cupra was running his silenced JBS04 with the same JBS manifold, and Roly was also running one on a silenced 0052 as well, as per the attached picture. At no time has anyone ever suggested that this manifold should not fit a silenced variant as it is listed as K03x fitment.

Please see http://seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217772&page=4 and the attached picture for confirmation.

Many thanks,

Rob

Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 1:25 PM

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the email.

I think at the time the manifold was of un-silenced versions only.

But - we have having a cast manifold made that will fit both versions of the K03 turbo - but I would expect this to be over 6-8weeks.

At the moment we do not have an version that will fit the silenced K03 turbo and every hybrid turbo we had ordered to be fitted with our manifolds were to be un-silenced only - I know TD can remove the silencer as they have done it for us in the past.

Regards

Mike O'Brien
Service Manager

I'm not interested in turning this thread into a slanging match but suffice to say I am really not impressed at the moment...

I'm currently waiting on TD to come back with a price for the MD486 JBS spec compressor housing which is exactly the same specification, just unsilenced.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.