Robbie C's Ibiza Cupra

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Day 3

Another minor update tonight - was hoping to get the turbo fitted in place but turns out I don't have the right size jubilee to hand for where my new TIP will join the turbo so need to get that on order tomorrow morning. Just feel it will be much easier fitting this bottom part before getting it back on the car.

As I'm using a custom TIP with a 63-51mm 90 degree reducer on the bottom this looks to be a little slack on the compressor housing (looks like ~48mm) but a good quality jubilee ought to sort that - otherwise I'll have to rethink what I'm doing with the TIP.

In an attempt to make some use of our time we ended up just doing a couple of quick and easy jobs instead, starting of with getting a coolant hose back on the turbo after having to gently modify the alignment bracket with some mole grips:

P1000448.jpg

P1000449.jpg

I've not heard of anyone else mentioning having to do this before - is this a common thing when switching the lines over?

After that was in place we then got the BAM injectors and 4 bar FPR fitted:

P1000450.jpg

P1000451.jpg

P1000452.jpg

P1000454.jpg

I've also decided to take the TB off to clean it up and perhaps spray it black as well as the metal cover that surrounds the dipstick. Does anywhere sell these in carbon fibre or something similar or perhaps people tend to just leave them off?

After that, the oil was left to drain out ready for a change, which will also allow us to get the temp sender fitted into the tapped plug when getting the gauges set up.

I'll be ordering a few little bits tomorrow which should then allow us to get the turbo fitted with the manifold next week :)

Last edited:

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
very nice indeed.

just not sure why you had to modify the bracket on the coolant line? If you're running a k03s then it should be the same as the oem k03.

anyway, nice update. The small jobs need to be done as well ;)

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Yeah I was a bit surprised to find I had to modify that bracket but it's lined up nicely now. Ordered some more jubilees today that hopefully ought to cover everything else that's left, we'll see.

I'm thinking about running a CAI to my filter as well but undecided on the best route to use. I'm wondering if it's possible to adapt the SMIC V-shaped duct and route that into some ducting pipe that goes up behind the battery if I can find room. Will have to have a proper look down there and give it some thought.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I thought it was a K03S compressor housing with the K04 internals but the spec is a bit ambiguous with that. My K03 TIP fits over the inlet so I don't think it is.

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
QUOTE=Robbie C;2416400]I thought it was a K03S compressor housing with the K04 internals but the spec is a bit ambiguous with that. My K03 TIP fits over the inlet so I don't think it is.[/QUOTE]

Is the Outlet 50mm? As it should be!!!!

O and Stop sending me them txts...She's gonna think summits going on lol :stick:[

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Why Danny, darling, whatever do you mean? :whistle:

Day 4

OK so decided to attack the car again tonight and try and get the turbo and JBS manifold fitted, but things didn't quite go to plan...

Starting with the turbo, we decided to fit the lower part of my custom TIP (63-51mm 90 degree reducer) to the compressor housing while off the car to make things a little easier. Here you can see the difference against the Forge K03 TIP - which doesn't look too massive but I can fit it inside the new one with ease so hopefully it will flow much better, especially with a 3" top half:

P1000459.jpg

P1000460.jpg

The 51mm end was quite sloppy over the inlet and we could squeeze the standard Forge TIP over it without much trouble. Comparing this diameter to the standard K03 we found that there was a 3-4mm difference, with the standard turbo measuring ~39mm and the hybrid 43mm:

Standard K03:
P1000456.jpg

MD445 Hybrid:
P1000458.jpg

Given that we also had to modify the coolant line bracket slightly as well I'm not 100% sure what compressor housing this has been modified from...

With the reducer on we then got the turbo loosely fitted in place and found that the hard coolant line was crushing the TIP. After a bit of fiddling we decided to remove the bolt from the bottom bracket (to the lower right of the EGR blanking plate) allowing us to move the pipe over enough to stop it getting in the way:

P1000462.jpg

Now clear of obstruction for uninhibited flow:
P1000461.jpg

I'm going to get hold of a longer bolt to put back in it's place so as not to leave it too loose.

Next, the fun really began when we ran into issues fitting the JBS tubular manifold...

New JBS high-temp manifold studs:
P1000465.jpg

P1000468.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
After getting things lined up we found that it doesn't clear the silencer on the turbo! :censored: :(

P1000471.jpg

P1000472.jpg

Here is it in place with the standard manifold, and then comparing them for clearance on top of one another you can appreciate the difference:

P1000470.jpg

P1000469.jpg

This really puts a spanner in the works. As a K03 manifold I had always thought that it shouldn't have any issues clearing a silencer, but I've not from memory come across anyone else running the same setup as here.

Not too sure where I go from this point forward - I'm going to see what JBS make of it and if push comes to shove will need to get a quote for Turbo Dynamics/Mark at CR to re-weld an unsilenced outlet on instead. Until this is sorted it really stalls me making any further significant progress.

Depending on how soon I can get answers out of people I may move on and get the fuel pump fitted tomorrow to try and get as many other jobs done as I can, so, watch this space

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
I was running a silenced k03s on my jbs mani no probs (on the old set-up) i think somewhere in the jbs section or maybe even my build thread there's a pic of turbo and mani off the car showing clearances, may be of help to you

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Thanks Roly I'll try and find this now, or if you dig it out in the mean time please give me a shout.

I've just posted these pics in the JBS section to see what the score is. Did you not have any issues fitting yours?

jamiebennett81

if I was you....I would move away from that manifold and go Kinetic or similar.....

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Page 8 of my thread ;) not that it shows the angle you want but does show it fits, think Ian is also running silenced on his which used to have the same mani on it.
As you've already said it makes me wonder what parts the turbo is made up of if it's touching the mani??

As for fitting the mani it was a pita, i took the engine out in the end as i thought it would be easier (it didn't make much difference)
After speaking to JBS when i was doing mine, i was advised they bolt turbo to mani first then drop it in as a unit, i ended up bolting the mani on first then turbo to it in the end.
Make sure you've got a selection of 12mm spanners that you can heat up/bend into different positions, without these i doubt you'll get it bolted up tightly

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Thanks for the input - as you say Roly I suddenly remembered last night that Ian is also running a silenced hybrid so this should be entirely possible. I guess the next step now is to remove the turbo and see if there's any way at all the manifold will mate up to the turbo off the car.

As for using a Kinetic/THS manifold these also seem a gamble to me as they always seem to crack. With the new high-temp manifold -> turbo studs and nordlock washers/locking k-nuts I'm hoping it might hold. Caney's is lockwired in place and so far so good - I believe it is possible and I'm willing to give it a go at least. With regards to spanners my mate has a full set of ratchet spanners which seem be up to the job.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Just grind away the silencer a little, doesnt look like its needs that much off and there should be plenty of meat on that part of the turbo to remove.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I've just been emailing Matt at Turbo Dynamics and as per the mails below you can see this is in fact a standard K03S compressor housing that's been CNC machined and the neck is removed and rewelded to help get it on the lathe.

Hi Rob,

I’m afraid we don’t have an “unsilenced” necks to weld on in place, all we can really do is check the alignment is bang on standard. If it isn’t then obviously it will be adjusted. As mentioned though the turbo fits the standard manifold as per a standard turbo (because externally that’s what it is), to blame the turbo because it doesn’t fit an aftermarket manifold seems a little backwards (obviously this is assuming the outlet is positioned correctly)…

If you require the unit collecting for the angles checking let me know and I can arrange that.

Best Regards

Matt Waterman
Turbo Dynamics Ltd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Matt,

Thanks for such a swift reply. I take your point but as this manifold fits a standard silenced K03S unit as an OE-fitment upgrade without any issues then the problem would seem to be specifically with the turbo here. As this unit is designed as an OE fitment upgrade then it should bolt to the manifold without issue.

I'm going to remove the turbo from the car tonight so I can see exactly how the manifold sits against this unit and go from there. If necessary, could you re-weld an un-silenced neck on this unit?

Many thanks,

Rob

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Rob,

The unit is designed to be a bolt on replacement and, as far as I’m aware, we’ve never run into any fitment issues previously. The cover is a standard K03S compressor cover, the reason for the weld is simply so we can swing the cover in our CNC Lathe. We cut the outlet in a precise location and then when the cover has been profiled we reweld it in the original position using a specially designed jig.

From your pictures it is clear the turbo fits the standard manifold (as it was designed to do), we obviously cannot guarantee fitment to aftermarket parts. All I can really suggest from our end is if you sent the unit back to us we can check the angles and make sure the outlet pipe on the compressor cover is correctly positioned.

Best Regards

Matt Waterman
Turbo Dynamics Ltd

Hi Matt,

Thanks again for your detailed response. I'm now in the process of fitting this turbo to my MK3 Ibiza Cupra but appear to have hit a stumbling block. When trying to fit my JBS tubular collected manifold it is fouling on the silencer of the turbo (see attached pics)

As you can see, the standard manifold only just fits in place. Speaking to other people running both standard silenced K03S units and the JBS04 (silenced) confirms that this manifold has been designed and manufactured to fit a silenced unit - however I notice that the elbow appears to have been welded on this MD445 - leading me to question what housing has been used and why it doesn't fit?

As this unit is designed to be a standard bolt-on replacement can you please advise what can now be done to address this as this is currently preventing me doing any further work?

Many thanks,

Rob

In all honesty I don't completely agree with Matt's latest reply. If the JBS manifold fits a standard K03S without issue and this hybrid unit is designed to be an OE upgrade then the manifold should fit. The fact that the standard manifold fits however does provide a counter-argument which I acknowledge - not sure where to go from here.

If I take the turbo off tonight and find that there's just no way to fit this manifold then I may have to speak to Mark at CR to get an unsilenced neck welded in it's place I guess. Merde.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Just reading back over the spec sheet for this turbo I also notice:

Please Note: This application needs exact engine management settings, free flow exhaust system and front mount intercooler to achieve these horsepower figures, however, the exhaust manifold is the limiting factor in achieving any real worthwhile gains and would need to be changed to get maximum benefit from the turbocharger.

So in all honesty it really should accomodate an aftermarket manifold. I guess first things first I need to get TD to check the turbo to ensure that this angle is correct, just stalls everything else in the mean time.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Day 5

This evening we concentrated on removing the turbo ready to send back to Turbo Dynamics to get the angle of the compressor housing neck checked and also aimed to fit my LCR fuel pump, yet it seems I've run into another issue, courtesy of SEAT.

First off, after removing the turbo we verified that there was no way the JBS mani was ever going to clear the silencer and comparing it side by side with my standard K03 it looks as if the angle of the neck is almost definitely not quite right.

You can see here that the silenced neck is bent further back than the standard K03 which is where it's fouling the manifold:

P1000473.jpg

It's quite hard to see from the picture but the neck on the hybrid is bent too far compared to the K03 in the background. These are sat on the floor at the exact same angle:

P1000474.jpg

Mating the manifold up to both turbos:

P1000475.jpg

P1000476.jpg

Speaking with Matt at Turbo Dynamics earlier today he has already agreed for me to send this back in with the manifold so he can check this for himself and make any necessary adjustments. While a massive inconvenience, to be fair to Turbo Dynamics they have been very helpful and supportive with this issue so I hope we can get this sorted soon.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Just to add to the fun, we then decided to move on and fit my fuel pump:

P1000478.jpg

P1000479.jpg

Old pump out:

P1000483.jpg

Taking the new pump out of the box it soon became clear something wasn't right:

P1000484.jpg

Yeap, you guessed it - they've packaged a Quattro twin-feed S3/TT BAM pump into an LCR box - marked with part # 8L0 919 051 H

Here's the two compared from a top-down view where you can clearly see the twin feeds and Quattro stamped on the top, not to mention a different part number:

P1000485.jpg

P1000486.jpg

So, back to SEAT that goes on the weekend while I wait for them to get the correct LCR one in for me.

While I know it's possible to modify this pump to work correctly I feel I may as well return it for the proper one as I think HoocH had some issues with his on his K04 and while I'm waiting for the turbo there's not much else I can do anyway.

I contacted Pro Alloy today who seem to think my custom intercooler should be ready by this time next week and my HiSpec brakes should also be here by then too. Let's hope I have better luck with those! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members