Rebuilding Engine (info)

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
How hard is the Exaclty todo?

Im lookin at sourcing a 2nd hand block and Fitting all the parts my self...

Ive already got a Engine Mount to work on the engine and a digital torque gauge too...Ive never Done anything like this but id love to have ago...

ive cleared out my shed this afternoon and made some shelfs & storage to keep everything oganized
id be lookin in to Rods,valves Inlet and exhaust and a genrel Rebuild on a 20vt Maybe a 1.9 but will look in to that...

Il be goin Td-16g so what should i change for it..

I need something to Keep my Occupied and really do fancy having a go my self,Like Build the block up my self and just directly Swap the engine over ect...with all the other bits..

I can still be using the car while i do this...

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Blimey Danny, sounds like a great project. Go for it.:)

I Just fancy it...

Modding cars is my of a Obession than a Hobie for me And i truely fancy doing it.

I wanted todo this when i was 18yr when i had a 2.0 Turbo corsa i wanted to completly forge it but i never knew as much as i do now (if you get me)

I would be taking it slow and Labeling and bagging everthing In boxes ect and i know roughly How a engine comes and apart and goes back together again.

I know I would get lots of help and support of here so that would help a great deal..Sometime i would why i did joiner instead of mechanical but suppose it pays alot better...

So the hunt now is on for a 20vt block with no ancilleries ect..

Dan1.6

1.6 Power FTW!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2008
Chesterfield
good luck with this dude i can't wait to see the thread your going to do

i look forward to reading it and maybe learning from it

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
Go for it if your doing pretty much a strait forward rebuild then its not really that hard i no of loads of rs turbos who have done it...all you got internally is pretty much pistons, valves, cams, springs, tappets, seals...everything else is just bolted on outside the most time consuming bit i can see is feconecting the wireing and hoses id love to do this myself given the time and money...if your getting a new block aswell you could colour code it to your car make it look really special...

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
This is what i'm going to be doing in a few weeks but i'm getting a mate to build mine for me,

i take it your going to upgrade the valves, springs, rods etc?

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
This is what i'm going to be doing in a few weeks but i'm getting a mate to build mine for me,

i take it your going to upgrade the valves, springs, rods etc?

Yup

Uprated Rods,valves & springs

ive got a full Bottom end for £40 Goin to go and collect it...

Would a large port be a good idea while im at it?
Im thinking of a 1.9 20vt

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
If you can get a large port head then yeah might be worth it but then you'd need a large port inlet mani aswell, large port isn't essential though as hooch was on small port with his monster ibiza!

What rods etc are you going for?

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
Erm im not too sure its a Bottom 20vt of a Golf anni engine code AUM

If your going 1.9 then you'll need new piston anyway unless it's already a 1.9?

If your getting new pistons then the pins come with them but normal 1.8t's i believe run 19mm pins except the s3 they've got 20mm

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
If your going 1.9 then you'll need new piston anyway unless it's already a 1.9?

If your getting new pistons then the pins come with them but normal 1.8t's i believe run 19mm pins except the s3 they've got 20mm

I haven't desided weather i should go 1.9 is it actually worth it..

I knw the current pistons are fine with the 350 power level i want but the rods are defo on the cars so is the valves..

So in a bottom end there is:
Cranks
Rods
Pistons
Cams

And In the cylinder head i
Inlet valves
Exhaust valves

Anything else

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
I haven't desided weather i should go 1.9 is it actually worth it..

I knw the current pistons are fine with the 350 power level i want but the rods are defo on the cars so is the valves..

So in a bottom end there is:
Cranks
Rods
Pistons
Cams

And In the cylinder head i
Inlet valves
Exhaust valves

Anything else

Bottom end is:-
crank, rods, pistons

Head is:-
Valves inlet/exhaust
Cams

If your leaving the pistons then make sure you get rods to suit,
I've just got most of my parts ready for a rebuild and i've pistons, valves and springs, valve guides, stem seals, rods, timing belt, oil pump chain, gaskets, seals, bearings etc

DaNnY_LaD

Big Turbo Leon Cupra R
Jun 2, 2007
Manchester,Walkden
www.myspace.com
Bottom end is:-
crank, rods, pistons

Head is:-
Valves inlet/exhaust
Cams

If your leaving the pistons then make sure you get rods to suit,
I've just got most of my parts ready for a rebuild and i've pistons, valves and springs, valve guides, stem seals, rods, timing belt, oil pump chain, gaskets, seals, bearings etc

Sorted :D

yeah once ive got it all stripped down and all labeled up i can the Deside what route im going down..
Is £95 Inc vat to get my bottom end bored out for a 1.9....But id need new piston which are 400ish aint they?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.