Worrying noise on partial throttle

jay-bob 25

Jun 18, 2004
ive got similar problem on my fr tdi and after checking in the engine compartment for rattles i now think its some pipes or heat shield rattling on the plastic cover underneath the passenger side , if you tap the cover around this area it sounds like some pipes are catching the cover,mine due for service soon so i will ask the dealer to investigate

Milan_1

I have took off the oil pan to check the oil pump and balance shafts, and everything is fine there...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I spoke to the garage when my car was in for a service the other day (VW dealer seeing how the local SEAT seem to feel its right to charge over £200 or twice the amount as VW for the same simple oil change service).

They had said they have seen similar noises coming from other FSI cars, and it was something to do with a chain inside the engine, but with them having no turbo, this puts a stop to it being an issue on spool......

Milan_1

I have heard that also, but for the chain driven engines. I took the oil pan off mainly to inspect the oil pump chain, but everything was normal...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Something else I have noticed. If you drive the car to the red line only touching the throttle, there is no noise. It matters not if the car is hot or cold, and it is intermittent, although a lot less so now as the noise is there approx 90% of the time now. Mine does it on full throttle too by the way.

dkaric

Mar 19, 2008
Croatia
I posted a thread a while back about a 'tingling' noise on very light throttle.
Seeing as a few others were getting the noise, I thought it must be normal.

Since the remap, it's got louder...

It's now changed to only 'tingling' when at boost threshold- on partial throttle & at any RPM.

If I open the throttle further, the noise seems to dissapear.

I cannot tell if the noise changes into the whine of the turbo, or if I cannot hear it over the turbo.

Any ideas?
My car is going back to SEAT over other issuse & wondered if they would be able to diagnose the issue.

I get the same noise on my 1.9 tdi.
Sounds like a faint unbalanced tin can rattle from the passenger side of the engine (Left hand drive)
I can provoke it by slightly touching the gas pedal, lifting the idle rpms by 10-20 rpm, then the noise gets more balanced.

Are you having a similar noise?

Might be one of the pulleys.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I attempted to record this noise last night once again, but every time I try, other noises drown it out on the clip.

JettiGLI

So what finally happened with noise, any solutions found? I have the same symptons on a Ed30, any help would be very appreciated!

JettiGLI

Seems to be the solution, Hurdy at gti forum posted it might work out, have mine ordered and shipping tomorrow, almost 100 USD for a bloody valve! Cross fingers!!!!

JettiGLI

Thats great news! Thanks RobH for the supportive updates! in USA and Australian forums this issue does not exist! Seems whe are more perfectionist!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Yep, my noise disappeared after the valve was fitted :)

JettiGLI

Thanks for the great info, I saw your other post at gtis forum. Great to find out the valve solves this noise, it has been a 2 month headache hunting probable parts involved.
My RS4 valve is at customs waiting to be released. Do you recommend getting out the complete intake manifold or it could be done with proper tools? I don´t wan´t to bend the fuel lines stupidly!

Best Regards to all!

Al

Aug 29, 2005
It can be done without taking off the inlet manifold as far as I remember, but there is quite a bit of work involved in doing it time wise, and its very awkward.

JettiGLI

Final question! Anyone knows the mechanical cause of the noise? Does anyone have a technical explanation why the valve makes this issue? Is it the valve causing the noise or another part caused by the valve lack of effiency to retain the correct fuel pressure in the lines?

Thankyou, just being courious!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise