WHY oh why - just when i thought it was sorted - wheel wobble and pulling to the left

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
thanks for the advice.

I swear i had the exact same problem last time i changed tyres/wheels - and somewhere along the line the problem disappeared (i think it was in sync with the subframe being dropped, i can't really remember now) so I don't know what the cure was.

I would quite happily point the finger at the balancing if it hadn't happened before now, a couple of times. I just think there must be an underlying problem thats been missed somewhere that is causing me grief.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
The only time I have ever heard of anything as bad as you are having it is from a bent tracking rod! I'd suggest taking it to SEAT and getting that checked...

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thinking about it - at accl. or decel. there is MORE or LESS weight on the front suspension (rather than a general average weight that would be at a constant speed.)
When going uphill/downhill, this will accentuate the weight change... so perhaps pushing the bushes or some other component to it's max or min......

When the car goes in for its 90k service (in a month or so) I'll be getting it checked again, get wheels swapped around again etc, but I've done all this before and it didn't help - I'm just expecting the same results again :( :cry:
I think your on the right wave length there pabs, get all your bushes checked out and if you havent done so already possible get uprated powerflex ones....of course this is another additional cost you done need if your saving for a house.

gtimassive

Just wanted to ask you if you have resolved this issue yet, as I am having exactly the same problem with my 54 plate Cupra.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Hi mate,
Sorry for the late reply - I've been in Spain for the last 2 weeks :)

Not sorted yet - car goes in on Saturday for service and hopefully a look at this issue. It's driving me BONKERS - and I think after driving it again I'm getting a constant "droning" noise at certain speeds - which confuses me more, but perhaps a wheel bearing is on the way out????

I have no idea - bl**dy cars. lol

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Right peeps - problem IMPROVED.. (but not 100% solved)......

It appears that the place that fitted my tires have a miss-calibrated/faulty wheel-balancer, as both front wheels were so badly balanced a blind-man could have done better.

Now usually I'd think that they were t*ssers that didn't know what they were doing - but I watched them balance them and saw what they did - and they did it right (according to the machine they were using)

So now the wheel wobble is resolved, and the pulling to the left is much better than it was - I don't have to fight the car to go in a straight line now.

However.....

During my 90k service, JKM noticed that my rear passenger-side tyre was very unevenly worn, and very close to the legal limit in areas. The other rear tyre has 4-5mm left on it.

You may remember a thread of mine regarding my 4-wheel alignment results about a year ago - and it was apparent that my rear passenger-side wheel was out of alignment (although on the limit of "acceptible") giving me an alignment looking something like this (from above) :

|-----|
XX
XX
\-----|

So it appears that the rear NS tyre is dragging itself, obviously causing more wear, and possibly adding/causing the pulling to the left too.

So, for me now, the next step is to get another new tyre for the rear. When I'm getting that done, I will also enquire as to my 4-wheel alignment results, and see if they can shed some light on which component(s) that could be causing this, or to see if there is anything they can do.

Failing that, I think I'm going to need to get it booked in, and perhaps a new stub-axle is required if that is what is damaged.

Does anyone have any ideas how to go about finding out what it is that is damaged? I'm assuming that the damage is going to be impossible to "see" with the naked eye, so a professional would have to find it???

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
blimey...well it seems your well on your way to getting it resolved. On your last point sorry not sure how you would find it. I am sure there must be some sort of method.....

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Well, the problem has been going on (on and off) for well over 2 years now... it's about TIME i get to the bottom of it! But there seems to be less and less to change now - everything else has been modified/swapped/replaced! lol

RickC

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
Dec 23, 2004
Lincoln
jesus man you have alot of problems, if i were you id sell it and buy a nice new trusty ford lol, and make sure you go for the extended warranty.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i was gonna suggest flattened wheel/s but looks like you had tried that anyway

i have 2 on mine that at 30ph makes the car feel like its hunting

balance em up the look spot on - but if you put up a level guide you can see them judder in 2 spots where the damnpotholes have ever so slightly flattened em

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Lol at Rick - Not selling this car for a while now (house move has fallen through) although I have sold a lot of bits of it already. :(

Interesting thoughts there Fl@pper - TBH never really thought of that! It'd be good for me to get rid of the droning noise that the worn tyre at the rear is producing now, but I don't just want to slap a new tyre on and let the same thing happen - I've GOT to find out why it's happening.

Just don't know how :(

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just looked at last 2 wheel sets that have been on mine before i slap the new wheel/tyre combo on and noticed that the NSF outer edge is worn a bit feathered

now normally as you take right handers faster than left i'd dismiss it but as i have noticed my stg wheel is offline and reversed today and heard a slight suspension knock as i braked mines going in this weekend for a susp check when i do the new brakes

than i guess a full realignment again ! ! !

god i hate potholes :(:(

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
i think that's exactly what I have mate - NSR outer edge is feathered, but also wearing a lot quicker than the OSR.

Grrrr

1981whips

Aug 11, 2007
ARGH!!!!!!! A*se!!!!!!! B*lls......

I thought it was cured. I really did. But alas that is not the case.

I had 2 brand spanking new GSD3's fitted to my front wheels yesterday. All balanced and fitted.

Driving today has shown the d*mn problem again - I have some severe pulling to the left, AND a really nasty wheel wobble.

For those of you that immediately say re-balance the wheels - please read the following:

1. This happened to me before - and has been a problem for me for ages. It was cured (not sure how) but changing to brand new tyres has bought the problem straight back.

2. The wheel wobble occurs only between 60-80mph. But it isn't constant. It is VERY bad when accelerating or slowing down. At a constant speed, or cruising, it is not noticable.

3. I have had new suspension (Koni FSD's) and this problem occured on both the new and old suspension.

Now I can only think of possible bent driveshaft, or perhaps worn bushes (but which ones???) However, why only with new tyres does this problem re-appear?????

Anyone with any ideas whatsoever, please PLEASE help. I'm absolutely gutted it has come back - just as my car was performing and behaving sooo well. :cry:

mine does this aswel and seemed to do it worse after new tyres had new wishbones bushes subframe tracking alignment and balancing and seat have done a health check and tick everything in the green and they say it must be your balancing but could it be the rasteering rack

but mine doesnt seem to be all the time

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
go to a different garage and get them to check the balancing on their equipment - I did this and it would appear that the original tyre-fitter's equipment was faulty, and that one of the tyres was VERY badly balanced.

fozzybear

middle aged speed freak
Feb 4, 2006
halifax,west yorks
Not Wanting To Be The Bearer Of Bad Tidings But Did You Buy Car Second Hand Or New.as There Are A Lot Of Cars Out There That Have Been In Accidents And Repaired Poorly Then Sold On,most Not Recorded So The Good Old Vehicle Checks Don,t Show Any Accidents.if This Being The Case You May Have A Bent Back Axle,this Would Also Explain Your 4 Wheel Allignment Problem.........i Do Hope I,m Wrong But It Sounds Like This Could Have Been Your Problem All Along

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.