WHY oh why - just when i thought it was sorted - wheel wobble and pulling to the left

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I was just thinking - make sure they make a good square contact with the hub - but do jack the car up & wrestle the wheel to see if it moves at all (might be worth axle stands if you're feeling too strong!)

could be something as weird as a loose ball joint or something (but as you're proving, very hard to find)

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
yes mate - JKM will be checking it next I expect.

I'm just trying to get my head round the 2 problems - the pulling to the left and the wobble both occur - they must be related because when one is cured, the other one is too...

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ok - cheers guys.

I'm just going to have to give the car to JKM and ask them to investigate. I'll also ask them to be gentle to my wallet.... lol

bentaw

Revo'd LCR
Oct 1, 2004
Hampshire
havnt got a bent wheel have u which is highlighted more with newer tyres as they wear etc the tyre hides it may sound silly but happened to my mate,

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
well it's possible - but why would it happen on both old standard SEAT wheels AND on the new ones........

Don't forget that i've changed suspension twice, ARB's, wheels, tyres, and all the tracking/alignment malarky......

Alpha

Mine does something very similar around 70-80 under acceleration and braking. I was thinking of getting my wheels aligned & balanced as well. I'm very interested in finding out how you get on with this.

cupra@180

Hi I had this problem when i changed my standard alloys to the rs6 replicas. It was down to a balance problem! The monkeys @ my local tyre place used the cone method to balance the wheels, which apparently will cause the problem with wheel wobble. Once i had mine balanced where they use a hub, problem gone! Hope you get it sorted.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
the wheels on my ibiza had started to feel like they were wobbling and there was play in my steering etc and it turned out that my ball joints, steering arms and wishbone were all worn....any decent garage should be able to find out whats wrong tbh

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
TruCido - thanks for the reply mate - I have other sources now telling me they had the same problem - and it was ball joints to blame...

Suprisingly at my last MOT they picked up on steering rack having a little play in it... so i wonder if this is related...?

Anyone know what kind of a job (£££ wise) it is for ball joint replacement - and TruCido - what about your job - how much was that lot to sort?

Cheers

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
TruCido - thanks for the reply mate - I have other sources now telling me they had the same problem - and it was ball joints to blame...

Suprisingly at my last MOT they picked up on steering rack having a little play in it... so i wonder if this is related...?

Anyone know what kind of a job (£££ wise) it is for ball joint replacement - and TruCido - what about your job - how much was that lot to sort?

Cheers

Steering rack is a different job tbh :s

However for all of mine it costs me £400, however I think the ball joints were about £20 for the pair, so about £100 / £150 including labour I think

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
ah ok.. about what i was expecting then. I hope it's just one thing, and not lots of things combined :( I can't afford to repair it at the moment, and I feel **** for not sorting it out sooner.

Alpha

Let us know if that sorts it out. I'll get mine booked in if it does.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
both mate - I work in Reading, live in Southampton.
I've just bought a house in Camberley though, so not far from work soon :)

Dec 19, 2006
Hi ya, i had exactly the same problem, found out then when i got my car serviced the inside of my front tyres were bald, got two new tyres and it went it away and hopefully it don't come back, and i think most leons pull to the left hand side mine does and i've heard quiet a few people say that theirs do too.

FrankSpencer

What are the other tyres fitted on the car? You say you have just had the GSD3's fitted, but what is the other brand/pattern currently on the car?

The cone balance is added to the balancer when they spin the wheels up to check it. The cone is added in the centre (where the Seat badge is). There is another method of balancing, which is called a finger plate. This method connects the plater inside each of the stud holes (it is generally more accurate, but not every garage will have this).

I can put you in touch will a proffesional outfit in the Southampton area, or I know of a good company in Fareham. Please get back to me on the first question and we will go from there.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
all 4 tyres are gsd3's. i always try to stick to same tyres all round to stop issues occuring. I've used GSD3's since i purchased the car - it had GSD3's on then too :)

Last edited:

FrankSpencer

OK.

Just check the wheel nuts on the wheels they have changed. As common practice is that wheels are checked after 30-50 miles after a change of tyre has occured (You are in theory breaking a seal when you take wheel nuts off to change tyres).

The wheel would have to be sitting correctly on the hub in order for the wheel nuts to go back on the vehicle, so this will not be an issue.

I personally would say it could be the balance (if it wasn't happeneing before you took the tyres to be changed), but as you have pointed out, it could also be a number of other things mentioned.

Let me know if I can be of more help.