Warning for diabetics

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I'm 53 a diabetic on insulin.
I started suddenly with blurred vision in my left eye.
Diagnosed with a severe cataract, no previous symptoms.
I can't fault the NHS here in Stoke, sorted in less than 2 weeks.
Treatment done at a private clinic, vision is clear.
Downside is 2 weeks off work (got 2 jobs). Can't ride the motorbike or play rugby. I am supposed to avoid even bending forward, risk of detached retina.
Picture of new Ktm 1390 which I can't ride for 2 weeks!
Kinda proves don't take sight for granted.

Attachments

• 20240328_141407.jpg
    20240328_141407.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: Bernie Andrews

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Downside is 2 weeks off work (got 2 jobs). Can't ride the motorbike or play rugby. I am supposed to avoid even bending forward, risk of detached retina.
Hope you recover soon, and get out on that bike it looks and sounds quick.

Sep 17, 2024
As a diabetic myself I can sympathise with your condition take care of your eyes as we diabetics are vulnerable to so many eye conditions here’s hoping you resolve yours soon kind regards

Reactions: Fester999

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
As a diabetic myself I can sympathise with your condition take care of your eyes as we diabetics are vulnerable to so many eye conditions here’s hoping you resolve yours soon kind regards
Not sure if this is true across the country but in Lincolnshire they do a yearly NHS Diabetic Eye test to try and pick up these sort of issues before they get bad

Sep 17, 2024
Not sure if this is true across the country but in Lincolnshire they do a yearly NHS Diabetic Eye test to try and pick up these sort of issues before they get bad
Had one early year in Wales plus I booked A private test with Specsavers who gave me much more info than I got from NHS whilst fitting me with glssses

Fester999

May 17, 2020
Same here in Staffordshire. It checks for retinopathy back of the eye.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I don't know why you cannot drive (ride) if if it was just a Cataract op ! I have had both my eyes done and was driving the day after and yes Diabetic and in my sixties

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I don't know why you cannot drive (ride) if if it was just a Cataract op ! I have had both my eyes done and was driving the day after and yes Diabetic and in my sixties
I could drive the car next day.
Couldn't ride the motorbike due to leaning forward and if in a crash impact might detach retina.

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire
I could drive the car next day.
Couldn't ride the motorbike due to leaning forward and if in a crash impact might detach retina.
well they did not say any thing to me about riding, and they were aware I rode a bike, as a joke when I came out of the procedure, I said can I ride my motorbike home, and I got right dirty look from the nurse, but she said that I had to wait till the next day.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.