trade-in Leon for an A220d (W177) or should I keep both?

Co2

May 2, 2007
Hi there seatcupra.net, I could use some input...

I currently own a 2007 Leon FR Tdi, with 255000Km/158000 miles. Manual. Bought brand new.

Lately hes been eating some oil. The turbocharger needs a rebuild which can be done by around 200 pounds, 120 in parts and 80 in labour. Where I'm at prices are this accessible. Doesn't smoke. A more thorough diagnostic would need serious disassembly which I'm not very keen on doing. All around hes doing fine-ish for its age and miles. No serious problems, just wear and tear.

I've been looking into getting an automatic and decided to get an A Class 220d (W177), 50.000Km/30.000 miles. Used, certified by Mercedes-Benz.

The initial idea was to trade in my Leon. But I'm having second thoughts. Never bought a used car and never owned an automatic. And I'm afraid things going south with the A class and being left hung dry. So, I'm thinking about getting the Mercedes but keeping my Leon the same way. Eventually selling it a couple months/year down the line after I get to know the A Class works fine/is solid.

I know cars nowadays and their realiability is pretty much russian roulette. I quite enjoy VAG cars due to their lego nature and because parts are a dime a dozen. I'm a bit wary about the Mercedes precisely because that extensive parts/support isn't anywhere near what vag has...

So, am I a massive idiot keeping both cars or should I simply part ways with my Leon and take the really nice offer the dealer made on it and get the A class and move on with life?

Last edited:
Reactions: jcbmally

380bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
Hi there seatcupra.net, I could use some input...

I currently own a 2007 Leon FR Tdi, with 255000Km/158000 miles. Manual. Bought brand new.

Lately hes been eating some oil. The turbocharger needs a rebuild which can be done by around 200 pounds, 120 in parts and 80 in labour. Where I'm at prices are this accessible. Doesn't smoke. A more thorough diagnostic would need serious disassembly which I'm not very keen on doing. All around hes doing fine-ish for its age and miles. No serious problems, just wear and tear.

I've been looking into getting an automatic and decided to get an A Class 220d (W177), 50.000Km/30.000 miles. Used, certified by Mercedes-Benz.

The initial idea was to trade in my Leon. But I'm having second thoughts. Never bought a used car and never owned an automatic. And I'm afraid things going south with the A class and being left hung dry. So, I'm thinking about getting the Mercedes but keeping my Golf the same way. Eventually selling it a couple months/year down the line after I get to know the A Class works fine/is solid.

I know cars nowadays and their realiability is pretty much russian roulette. I quite enjoy VAG cars due to their lego nature and because parts are a dime a dozen. I'm a bit wary about the Mercedes precisely because that extensive parts/support isn't anywhere near what vag has...

So, am I a massive idiot keeping both cars or should I simply part ways with my Leon and take the really nice offer the dealer made on it and get the A class and move on with life?
Take the offer the dealer gave you mate cut your losses on the Leon as it will start to turn into a money pit. Take the money will you can as if something else goes wrong after the turbo you’ll regret it when you won’t be able to sell the car for more then afew hundred pounds. I am speaking for experience I have done the same myself with my Leon.

Co2

May 2, 2007
Take the offer the dealer gave you mate cut your losses on the Leon as it will start to turn into a money pit. Take the money will you can as if something else goes wrong after the turbo you’ll regret it when you won’t be able to sell the car for more then afew hundred pounds. I am speaking for experience I have done the same myself with my Leon.
You've done the same as in part ways with it or keeping it as a second car and then it having problems and losing value? I'm so torn on what to do. Haven't even managed to get a decent sleep today.

380bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
You've done the same as in part ways with it or keeping it as a second car and then it having problems and losing value? I'm so torn on what to do. Haven't even managed to get a decent sleep today.
Sorry I mean I’ve kept a car instead of parting ways with it while I could get a decent price for it. Then the car broke and they couldn’t get as much for it. When you start driving your new car it’ll be o nice you’ll probably not want to drive the older seat anyway. But if the car means this much to you that you can’t sleep you need to keep the car mate it obviously means a lot to you and that can’t be replaced.

Co2

May 2, 2007
So, ended up turning in my Leon.

I'm trying not to think I've made a massive mistake. But the nagging feeling is there.

Doesn't help that I've only noticed on the ride home the A class has a massive rattle, apparently wind induced that shows when going over 75mph, on the front left side. When I test drove it I didn't notice it, but I also didn't go over those speeds.

The Leon did have a sagging headliner, bodywork dented, an oil leak, but it had zero rattles.... The A class goes like stink though. That's a good thing, I guess...

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I have just went from Audi A3 Auto to CLA 200d auto. Same 2.1 turbo diesel as the A220d.

One thing you will notice is the engine in the mercedes is more agricultural than the VAG 2.0 tdi. The gearbox is also sluggish in the Merc compared to the Audi. If you haven't had an auto before you might not notice.

Co2

May 2, 2007
I have just went from Audi A3 Auto to CLA 200d auto. Same 2.1 turbo diesel as the A220d.

One thing you will notice is the engine in the mercedes is more agricultural than the VAG 2.0 tdi. The gearbox is also sluggish in the Merc compared to the Audi. If you haven't had an auto before you might not notice.
Thanks for the reply.

The 220d I got is fitted on a W177 chassis. It's the 2.0 OM654. Comparing against the Leon, the A's engine is far more quieter and has less vibrations. Using your description I would call the Leon more agricultural. The 2.0Tdi diesel had indeed a somewhat "tractor-y" feeling due to its sound and t's vibrations. The A on the other hand, at least this 2.0, has a quite distinctive taxi-like rumble like the older 6 cylinder diesels. It's quite puzzling how a 4 cylinder puts out that sound.

It's has been my first full time auto. Had driven automatic cars previously but this is the first time I'm getting used to one. Only now, after almost two weeks, I'm noticing those small details. They're not as smooth as I used to think/feel on the shorter rides. One notices pretty clearly when the gearbox is doing it's thing. Got to say that Nick Murray's video about DCTs really helped me understand why the automatic gearboxes sometimes feel weird. After getting that explanation everything did a lot more sense.

Shifts from 3rd to 2nd sometimes are a bit clunky. But from what I've read on forums that's a somewhat common occurrence on these gearboxes that might or might not be minimized with software updates and relearning procedures. I'm not gonna bother. It's just sometimes noticeable when doing a rolling stop and is easily manageable with the right inputs. Car has no faults present, shifts fine. Automatics aren't perfect. I've just learnt that these last few days. Already did a relearn procedure and indeed the gearbox behavior changed a lot to suit my driving style.

Now regarding the whole car as a product. I don't want to sound like a petulant individual. The Leon was a Seat and whoever has had one knows it's interiors were rather visually poor and there was plastic all around till' the eye could see. But now, comparing the two, the Leon had a kind of honest felling. A kind of what you see was what you get. The A as a lot of eye candy indeed. But it just feels fake. Fake luxury. Mirror finish surfaces that look nice, but then you touch them aaaaaand it's plastic. And they creak. Much more than my Leon did. Even for a 15y old car the Leon had very tight interiors. The odd creak here and there on rough surfaces but it had a much more tight feeling. One thing that got me was the B pillar trim. Knocking on them, the Leon had a sturdy sound, the A just sounds hollow. Sure the A is a much newer car, riddled with technology but to be honest, I've already disable pretty much everything I could. Just kept the angle monitoring and the active keep lane assist which can't be permanently disabled - for now. If there was a way with VAG products, there has to be a way with Mercedes.

Regarding the other extras:
HUD, its nice, but it ends up being nothing more than a gimmick and rather annoying having that on your field of vision;
Interior ambient lighting, too tacky;
The massage feature on the seats is completely ridiculous. Air bladders that inflate and deflate, slowly;
Traffic signals alert, annoying and already disabled.
Parktronic, just beeps when the car is moving. Which on maneuvers in tight spaces with an auto gearboxes requires some careful throttle inputs.
And a couple more things...

Last night just noticed it doing a regen. It's not like the Leon which used to take around 11.6 miles time independent, sometimes even less. The A took around 18 miles and from what I've read it's time based independent of mileage. And it noticeably gorges more fuel, around 2.5 to 3L more in instant fuel consumption when doing the regen, the Leon also did but it wasn't as noticeable. Thing is the A easily does 70mpg while to get 51mpg with the Leon I had to drive very carefully.

All in I'm still satisfied with the choice. It's a newer car, has a lot less miles is and comfier... The Leon has a hunkier driving feel, this one just feels lighter on the road but it sure goes a lot faster also. It just made me realize even better that all-in-all the 1P Leon was a darn good product for its time, at least regarding my experience since others might disagree.

Hope he finds a nice home these next years. Sadly I'm aware these cars, on a second hand market have a higher chance of being abused.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.