• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

tdi sport 130 remaped no difference? Remap reviews please

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
Right folks can I start by saying thank you beeko85 , nickyjam and broadbandings for showing more evidence on the points I was talking about .

And Gaz 44 please look back at the original threads as I have never stated taking 3 sec of 0-60 (that was crossy r thread)
I stated maybe 3 sec off 0-100

My original thread was basically asking approximate figures of before and after remap?
Which is what im trying to get at to answer your question gaz?

I didn’t realise you can only race people if you have no passengers? Why do people have sports cars and high powered cars if they are not going to enjoy the drive , and Im not a boy racer lol

And gaz 535d and m5 to top speed race obviously m5 will win, but once again you fail to understand what im saying REAL LIFE DRIVING I don’t do top speeds on roads however mid range driving counts in everyday driving for me. My friend has 535d and its amazing.

When I said changing down in rx8 will make no difference I was exaggerating , obviously you didn’t get it?

And steve just to clarify my car isn’t remapped as it came out 145bhp on rr
And yes diesels rev to 5k but I change before the red at about 4k hence I stated rev to 4k and yes I have stated diesels have poor start twice. So we don’t need to say it again. I was referring to loaded car or going up a hill not straight drag race.

Please can I have some answers to original thread as I think we all getting carried away.

It is a interesting topic and as enthusiasts we could learn a lot from each other :)

Maybe I'm not getting what you mean.

There should be a noticable difference between a remapped 130 and a standard 130 but this will be felt more in-gear and less from a standing start.

SteveC123

Torquing TDI
Jul 5, 2009
And steve just to clarify my car isn’t remapped as it came out 145bhp on rr

Oh, right... when was this, then?

And yes diesels rev to 5k but I change before the red at about 4k hence I stated rev to 4k and yes I have stated diesels have poor start twice. So we don’t need to say it again. I was referring to loaded car or going up a hill not straight drag race.

Oh FFS, *READ WHAT YOU HAVE JUST STATED*, there's every need to pull you up on this (again), in the hope maybe it might just sink in at some point?

A diesel generally has more low down poke than a petrol equivalent.

VAG TDIs are pure manna in this respect, not least when it comes to how easy it is to extract more (reliable) power from them.

More low down poke = more torque to pull away with if a car is loaded or going up hill, *and* it also gives a car plenty of acceleration off the mark.

Ever considered that the Cupra driver in the video you seem to think is the definitive proof on the subject, might have been a bit hamfisted when it came to getting the car to launch?

Please can I have some answers to original thread as I think we all getting carried away.

Maybe if you stopped coming out with guff, such as dismissing rolling road figures in favour of you and a stopwatch being the more accurate method to measure performance, then you might get your wish.

It is a interesting topic and as enthusiasts we could learn a lot from each other :)

In light of some of your comments, I'm beginning to think there's no real hope of this in some quarters. :whistle:

jaz205gti

Jan 1, 2009
gaz maybe that remaped car i raced has something wrong with it? it must do ?

And steve sorry mate but as you’re the only one STILL talking nonsense, I have no idea what you mean anymore. A lot of people seem to understand what im saying however there’s always one?

Did you not write this in your tread?
“Which brings us nicely back to the original point people picked you up on when you determined your car was keeping up with a mapped Ibiza - your car is mapped, and I suspect your brothers Superb isn't”

You stated my car must be remapped did you not ??????

Diesels have more low down poke than petrol = so better off the mark acceleration ?

This is totally confusing me now,

Interesting of cause they have more power however what you FAIL to understand is you have to change gear in a diesel lot sooner hence it hurts the 0-60
Sorry mate id rather you keep your guff to yourself now as its getting boring

And steve not all replies have been negative on here … there’s been interesting feedback so hopefully im not talking guff as you put it…. so like I said there’s always one.

Some positive feedback please

SteveC123

Torquing TDI
Jul 5, 2009
And steve sorry mate but as you’re the only one STILL talking nonsense, I have no idea what you mean anymore.

That'll be because you're a bit... humm, no, I'll let others read the thread and work that one out for themselves. :p

A lot of people seem to understand what im saying however there’s always one?

Roughly translated: 'A lot of people are saying things that appear to align with what I'm saying, (in my head at least), ergo I must be right'.

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not the only one who has questioned some of the guff you've come out with... and backed it up with reasoning as to why what you're saying is guff.

Did you not write this in your tread?

Sorry, in my what?

“Which brings us nicely back to the original point people picked you up on when you determined your car was keeping up with a mapped Ibiza - your car is mapped, and I suspect your brothers Superb isn't”

You stated my car must be remapped did you not ??????

Yes... and then all of a sudden, out of the blue and unless I'm mistaken, you've now got a BHP figure for your car obtained from a rolling road.

When did you have that done?

More to the point, why do you presume because your brothers Superb performs in the same way, my mapped Passat would have done?

And have you worked out yet why my Passat may have had more top end than my Ibiza other than your dense assumption there must be something wrong with the Ibiza?

Part of the answer is stated further up the thread if you bother to read and actually take in what I said previously regarding the two cars...

Only part, mind.

Diesels have more low down poke than petrol = so better off the mark acceleration ?

This is totally confusing me now

I'm not exactly surprised!

Interesting of cause they have more power however what you FAIL to understand is you have to change gear in a diesel lot sooner hence it hurts the 0-60

I've not failed to understand anything bar why you're still labouring under the impression you know what you're talking about.

Your comment above is really laughable; by your logic, a hot hatch with a lower ratio box than a cooking model with the same power, will be slower purely because you're changing gear more???

How can I put this... if you have more torque, and change up earlier... you have more grunt to pull through the higher gear than in something more dependent on high revs when it comes to where the bulk of its power sits.

:clap:

Sorry mate id rather you keep your guff to yourself now as its getting boring

'It doesn't align with what I'm saying, therefore its guff'

When you can back your guff up with something of more substance than 'me and my stopwatch against the world!', maybe it'll be worth paying more than just lip service to.

Just so your fully understand exactly where I'm coming from, I had a hand in mapping both my cars - part of the benefits of helping out occasionally at a rolling road.

With that in mind and the fact I've helped run several rolling road days at said rolling road, I suspect I'm more familiar with power curves and how they interact with gearing etc, than you and your beloved stopwatch and 'real world' experience.

And I've ragged both cars to death on trackdays at a track near here, (may even do the same this Saturday now I've got a FMIC and improved map in place), and ended up with timings for both for direct comparison purposes.

Funnily enough, when you're ragging a car round a track, you can be pretty certain everyone else out there at the same time is ragging the tits off theirs as well if you really want an idea of just how good or bad your car is by comparison rather than assuming they're actually doing their worst off the lights.

HTH

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
you know day to day driving, on roads, not on drag strips.

Ah..okay. Well I disagree. Both cars are failry similar in terms of pace and okay, you might have to put a little more effort into the Clio to get to the power but that's half the fun. It's certainly not any slower day to day.

Could it be that diesel drivers are lazy?

broadbandings

Sep 17, 2009
yeah laziness plays a part for me, the seat's umph is just there, when i had the clio i needed to feel like nigel mansell the whole time to make it fast, something like a golf tdi would catch you off guard and before you knew it your trying to play catch up, often the road would run out though.

the clio had a really nice push when it came on cam at 5,500rpm. if i has a spare few grand i'd stil have a little stripped out cup racer for track days or when im in the mood. most of the time i was not. now however i can go just as fast easily :)

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
yeah laziness plays a part for me, the seat's umph is just there, when i had the clio i needed to feel like nigel mansell the whole time to make it fast, something like a golf tdi would catch you off guard and before you knew it your trying to play catch up, often the road would run out though.

the clio had a really nice push when it came on cam at 5,500rpm. if i has a spare few grand i'd stil have a little stripped out cup racer for track days or when im in the mood. most of the time i was not. now however i can go just as fast easily :)

Well, I guess this is the case if you are bothered about other diesel cars trying it on but diesels can be caught off guard just as easily.

The 5k kick - the same as the 1500rpm kick in the derv Ibiza. It's all relative!

It depends what you want. There is more skill I think in slotting the correct gear in a high revving petrol car than relying on the low down torque of a diesel but I enjoy the diesel for easy overtaking. My Clio was way more fun though! A proper hot-hatch!

antnee

why would he not count the run at inters :think: oh wait he would

i know he has been running water meth i was talking to him whilst he was getting it fitted [B)]

It's tempory timing gear which lots of people believe isnt't too accurate

and whilst im thinking about it you have quoted his 5.0 seconds dead 0-60.... and that was done on which run :think: ooooooooohhhhh yea

you cant have it both ways dude

plus he hasnt got the meth set up into his system (ie mapped in) and its mainly water he is running anyway not much meth at all:funk:

Cos thats the only 0-60 time he has and its likely to do that anyway! The water/meth is set up for cooling only atm, which means colder boost, so can fit more air into the engine so bigger bang and more power!

BKR

TorqueDefinesIntelligence
Jul 15, 2008
Grimsby
It's tempory timing gear which lots of people believe isnt't too accurate

temp timing gear or not, some were running worse than at pod ie. you and rob
so that can go either way mate

Cos thats the only 0-60 time he has and its likely to do that anyway! The water/meth is set up for cooling only atm, which means colder boost, so can fit more air into the engine so bigger bang and more power!

top end hence why he is running higher terminal speeds

jaz205gti

Jan 1, 2009
Steve if your finding faults with my typing skills ( tread instead of thread) you really must be struggling son… lol

No Steve you’re the only one still talking guff lol

I had it rr Thursday actually!

My dense assumption lol ….well unless im a mind reader ( and I wish I was) you never stated your passat was remapped in the original THREAD lol that makes just a little difference to the argument doesn’t it?. lol

So my quote is laughable hey … ( changing gear theory in diesel) lol

Well how can I put this…. ill use a example a car with similar weight and bhp

Leon 2.0 tdi 140bhp 0-60 9sec 1520kg
Leon 2.0 16v petrol 147bhp 0-60 8.5 1472kg

Now the tdi may be 50 kg heavier and slightly down on bhp however it has 80lbs torque more which is a huge difference ?????
Now by your theory why oh why is the tdi SLOWER to 60, is it to do with the tdi hits 60 in third gear and the petrol in 2nd lol
Of course it would be faster if it did hit 60 in second.

Simple logics son when you change gear you take your foot of the accelerator and change hence it takes time and slows you down. Hence why we all know diesels have good mid range as the torque kicks in. but not good low acceleration , yes of cause it has more torque but changing gear hurts 0-60 as I stated.

top gear and fifth gear said exactly the same. Lol

Maybe Steve you can set up a rolling road session and get your graphs to prove me wrong… and the rest of the motoring world… lol

So laugh all you want son facts are there.

And just to finish off
Classic example of this theory and sorry for using another example but when you’re a true enthusiast and know a little about cars and not talk guff you tend to do this.
Citroen saxo vts
Citroen claimed 7.2 sec 0-60 on launch of the car, they only archived this figure by hitting 60 in second gear….

Fact son

So Steve stop talking GUFF I use FACTS and evidence so I know what im talking about
unlike people who think my cars remapped without even seeing it maybe you should charge for that service lol

Ps im sure iv make some mistakes in my writing Steve so you can mark my work if you like. Lol

nicksxjr

Revo....whiplash!
Jul 24, 2009
Somerset, taunton
Interestingly enough my cousin has a golf 130pd remaped to 168bhp and its absolutly no match for my standard (Except silicone pipes and uprated d/v) leon cupra 1.8t wat so ever, even if he catch's me off guard il still pull ahead seconds later.

Although not in the long run as its me whos stopping for fuel all the time! :p

When the time comes for me to remap rather than max bhp figues il be looking to see which will pull hard for the longest

Last edited:

digby130?

pocket rocket
Aug 10, 2008
exeter/london
ive done gps timing and the classic passenger timing me 0-60 (130pd fr 05 plate)
standard: 9.1 secs (131bhp)
remapped: 8.1 secs (165 bhp 291lb/ft off a RR at powerstation)

at the time, just changed the air filter to green cotton and had the remap!

beeko85

Apr 27, 2009
Bangor, N.I
ive done gps timing and the classic passenger timing me 0-60 (130pd fr 05 plate)
standard: 9.1 secs (131bhp)
remapped: 8.1 secs (165 bhp 291lb/ft off a RR at powerstation)

at the time, just changed the air filter to green cotton and had the remap!

Thats about what youd expect, and a pretty good gain for the price of a remap. and i think thats excatly what jazz was wanting to find out at the start of the thread so nice one.
also, stevec, i said that a mapped 130 should keep with a type r etc to around 80, thats was my experience in a megane, i knew the vag engine would be stronger as i said, one of the reasons i went to vag after renault, and it must be, mine started to run out of steam around 110, and from 80ish + most performance based petrol cars would start to noticably out perform mine but i would expect the vag engines to hold on better, my mates gt tdi 130 was always stronger than mine top end when they were both standard, even another mates 1.6 bmw 3 series, again standard and petrol would catch mine eventually. i guess thats why the company i used to get my mapping done by uses vag tdi's for their demo cars.
maybe then you guys will get off the line much better than a renault too- if the engine is that much stronger then maybe the cluth/ gears etc are much better suited, obviously there was still a massive difference 0-60 in mine after the map, but it was still hard to get off the line fast. a mate used to get me off the line every time in his standard fiesta st, but once i got it into 2nd it was game over. 1st gear was always terrible in mine, whats it like in the vag diesel? ive driven a mates focus 2.0tdi a few times and 1st in that was pretty terrible too, im not sure how to descibe whats wrong with it, is it just really short? no power, even on the turbo really and you basically have to change up asap?
i tested the fr tdi before i got the tfsi, but didnt want to go nuts with the salesman beside me, but it was definately slower than my megane, i assume that a mapped one would be a weapon though

Last edited:

Gaz44

Aug 19, 2009
1st gear in the diesels are pretty rubbish and it's difficult to get a perfect launch due to the power delivery. It also comes down to traction, gearing and of course, the driver.

I plan on remapping my 160 sometime next year.

broadbandings

Sep 17, 2009
1st gear in the diesels are pretty rubbish and it's difficult to get a perfect launch due to the power delivery. It also comes down to traction, gearing and of course, the driver.

I plan on remapping my 160 sometime next year.

ok seeing as this thread has been high-jacked from every angle lol - i too want to get my 160 remapped, my only concern is that its now on 86k, any thoughts on this guys?

i live literally 5 minutes drive from Jabba sport :worship:

SteveC123

Torquing TDI
Jul 5, 2009
ok seeing as this thread has been high-jacked from every angle lol - i too want to get my 160 remapped, my only concern is that its now on 86k, any thoughts on this guys?

i live literally 5 minutes drive from Jabba sport :worship:

I did mine last month... the car is on 164k. ;)

And when I say I mapped it last month, I mean it's been running a generic remap for 'some time', and we've opened it out even more.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members