Tarraco removed from sale?

Tell

Staff member
I watched a review of the face lifted Skoda Kodiak which must have "mib4" dual a/c fan control buttons with an image on... suspect mib3 doesn't support such flashy peripherals. On the Autog... YouTube channel. So that would be the relaunched Tarraco if it had come, that which t_v's family is having (believe they are made on the Allspace production line in Germany, Tarraco was). Probably what we'll see, the ICE models shed if there is an equivalent in the Vag brand and sales are not great to use other Vag factories to make Seat / Cupra badged ones. Not high end enough for Cupra they don't get made. Still it must be of concern for some Cupra owners since the brand split whether their current car is doomed on succession 🙄. Watch out for those other Vag facelifts.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
As we now know the Cupra Terramar will fulfil this position in the model line up, info here.

They positioned Cupra as an upmarket brand right from the start, so I'm not sure how many of existing SEAT customers would switch to Cupra. I for one always considered Ateca and Tarraco but Cupra's equivalent models still feels distant to me as it is a name without some heritage, and a brand tries too hard styling-wise.

Sent from my 23113RKC6G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tell

t_v

Feb 19, 2021
As we now know the Cupra Terramar will fulfil this position in the model line up, info here.

Not even close to a like for like replacement, the Terramar is closer in size to the Ateca than the Tarraco so I don't understand how they can position it as its replacement.

• Love
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
It is a bit weird what they are doing to the Seat brand. Whether they will relent we'll see. The Terramar has the moving back seats like the Tarraco so that flexibility is in there. They have embedded the rear door into the rear arch like the Ateca unlike the Tarraco, which means you get space in the rear for less car length. Probably how they get away with less length to call it a replacement for the Tarraco in the line up, not that the Cupra brand had the Tarraco in it.

You'd have to slide the front seat as far back with the rear bench seats back to test for legroom. That was my main complaint coming from the Altea which was a "people carrier" to the Ateca SUV. SUVs are more rigid with space use, possibly safety. The Ateca is really an SUV Leon as explained by a dealer to get the same space in legroom as an Altea to get your legs out as a front seat passenger you have to have the Tarraco. I got use to not having my legs out now as a passenger. Handy for long drives.

Afraid you have to find the £££s, $$$s and €€€s for Cupra although quite a few early adopters of the separate brand on here got miffed when the lower spec engines were fitted to Cupras as time passed. You can see the possibility of introducing lower spec engines to keep the price down. Cupra bling might not be for everyone, that might get toned down, you never know. Copper and carbon might only go so far. We'll see. Their version of Maybachs. A Maybach Audi 😉. Skoda are ugly cars so I can't see many Seat people swapping to them. VW too regular, Audi too pricy. Lack of a big Cupra dealership may lead to Seat folk swapping outside the VAG brand. Whilst Seat only dealers can maintain Cupras they can't as such sell them. Interesting times.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

t_v

Feb 19, 2021
It is a bit weird what they are doing to the Seat brand. Whether they will relent we'll see. The Terramar has the moving back seats like the Tarraco so that flexibility is in there. They have embedded the rear door into the rear arch like the Ateca unlike the Tarraco, which means you get space in the rear for less car length. Probably how they get away with less length to call it a replacement for the Tarraco in the line up, not that the Cupra brand had the Tarraco in it.

You'd have to slide the front seat as far back with the rear bench seats back to test for legroom. That was my main complaint coming from the Altea which was a "people carrier" to the Ateca SUV. SUVs are more rigid with space use, possibly safety. The Ateca is really an SUV Leon as explained by a dealer to get the same space in legroom as an Altea to get your legs out as a front seat passenger you have to have the Tarraco. I got use to not having my legs out now as a passenger. Handy for long drives.

Afraid you have to find the £££s, $$$s and €€€s for Cupra although quite a few early adopters of the separate brand on here got miffed when the lower spec engines were fitted to Cupras as time passed. You can see the possibility of introducing lower spec engines to keep the price down. Cupra bling might not be for everyone, that might get toned down, you never know. Copper and carbon might only go so far. We'll see. Their version of Maybachs. A Maybach Audi 😉. Skoda are ugly cars so I can't see many Seat people swapping to them. VW too regular, Audi too pricy. Lack of a big Cupra dealership may lead to Seat folk swapping outside the VAG brand. Whilst Seat only dealers can maintain Cupras they can't as such sell them. Interesting times.
This is a regression as far as I am concerned. We are a family of 5 with two teenage boys both over 6f3in. I chose the Tarraco because I don't have to make compromises in rear foot space to accommodate boot space and vice versa. The Tarraco with the rear seats all the way back and tons of rear space still measures almost 800 litres of boot space. We have just returned from a 6 week Europe road trip (5000 miles, 7 countries) where we managed without a roof box, fully laden with 5 people on board.

Compare that to the Terramar: 540-630 litres (400-490 PHEV) boot space, the larger number only achieved with the rear seats fully forward which means that with that configuration only really suitable for (young) children.

The point of the Tarraco was its practicality, a surprisingly spacious medium size SUV that actually looks good and drives like a champ.

My next car is probably going to be the XC90 as there is currently no direct replacement for the Tarraco in either the SEAT or Cupra lineup. They have lost another potential customer (one of many I assume) with their shenanigans. Look at the new Kodiaq to see what the new Tarraco might have been. I would buy a SEAT designed version of that in a hearbeat.

Tell

Staff member
Perhaps there will be an XL version of it :unsure:. The problem I have with Seat and Cupra branding is the useful new technology is saved for Cupra being the premier brand, but you have to have the bling as well. Like your use of space, use to 360 parking and the other extras I bought at the time you can't get on regular Seat's... mind you, you might not be able to buy regular Seats soon. I can accept the bling to get the technology.

I'll be jumping to EV but not yet. Plenty of life left in the Ateca and by that stage EVs may have settled down a bit... probably not.

t_v

Feb 19, 2021
Perhaps there will be an XL version of it :unsure:. The problem I have with Seat and Cupra branding is the useful new technology is saved for Cupra being the premier brand, but you have to have the bling as well. Like your use of space, use to 360 parking and the other extras I bought at the time you can't get on regular Seat's... mind you, you might not be able to buy regular Seats soon. I can accept the bling to get the technology.

I'll be jumping to EV but not yet. Plenty of life left in the Ateca and by that stage EVs may have settled down a bit... probably not.
We can go on for a very long time discussing EVs but for me the fact of the matter is simple: they are expensive and inconvenient.

As such, I am not going to be purchasing one any time soon and also look as politicians and EV poster boys/girls start rowing back on electrification deadlines as the general public votes with its feet (as they have done already).

You can't shove a new (expensive and inconvenient) way of doing automotive down the public's throats with nothing but trinkets. Those that could buy an EV have already done so and many are going back to ICE.

As far as I am concerned there is a place for EV but as a complement of ICE not INSTEAD of ICE as has been the propaganda up until now. We have neirher the technology or the infrastructure for full EV and from the looks of it won't have it until 2050 at the earliest.

Reactions: Wyld Stallyn

Tell

Staff member
Outbreak of EVs round here. Just the expensive ones that aren't being bought. Why I'm leaving it 5 years for things to settle down although I could use one now. 2035 is the date for phase out. 11 years hence quite sometime. Certainly townies without drives may struggle to get fast charging. Holidays longer coffee stops. Obviously aren't as convenient as ICE but saves the planet.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.