Stage 3 Polo 1.8T build

str8ballin

Feb 27, 2007
Hello all!

I have been away for a while but looks like alot of people been busy BTing their cars... makes for great reading!!

Well I am very nearly finished with my project now, just some niggly problems now which is making me go mad!!!

Im really hoping you guys can help :)

The car is mapped at the moment to run 1.8bar and it feels much quicker than my 3071 setup but with very safe timing still, so cant wait to see the end results which should be next monday the 2nd November!

Basically I gave my car to get mapped and the ECU was picking up crazy knock signals and once the engine is hot after a good thrashing it starts to lose vacuum somewhere, then it will settle again after a few minutes.

Knock sensors: Checked with a standalone knock sensor and the engine is fine no pinking etc but the ecu knock sensors werent happy at all.. so they set the ignition timing very safe so I can take the car back and sort these stupid issues out.
The knock issue was is a f'd up clutch setup and unbalanced flywheel - also changed the big end bearings to sputter bearings for peace of mind - after sorting sounds soo much better and I am pretty certain that was the problem..

Leak: I have no idea!! But it is after the MAF.

The A/F ratio when I have the leak just shows 3 lines on the AEM gauge which means mega lean but only on idle and on the AVCR the vacuum reads 390-400, when its normal I see 450-480mmhg

I have checked the following: all vacuum lines and intercooler pipes, plus IC

Checked all manifold gaskets etc no leaks from exhaust side.

Intake manifold and TB

Ran open breather and closed breather system - no change

Checked and changed the wastegate

Ran without D.V - no change

Its so annoying because it will only happen once I see EGT's above 700 degrees, and I dont know where else to check!

I have even got the turbo checked out incase its leaking from the compressor housing!!

The vacuum leak is there on over run also as instead of seeing 600-630mmhg vacuum it reads 570ish.

If I leave the car off for a while and get back in its fine after things are cooler and all is how its ment to be!

Another issue im having is when im 3/4 throttle and the boost is rising near about 4k the car stops making more power and its all linear, its as tho the throtle is open all the way and also the wastegate as I can here the screamer pipe screaming... its making boost 1.4-6bar and also the egt's shoot up quick... I back off straight away when this happens. On full throttle I have no issues only 1/2 - 3/4 throttle..

Done some logs and it seems the maf value shoots up and so does the tb load?!

I have changed my r32 tb for another one but thats not the problem and also changed my MAF as I had a new one sitting there.

Its hard to tell if its mechanical or software related as I asked to have it scalled so the on-off feel is less..I am going to check my wiring to makesure all is ok there as it seems to be getting worse which would prob mean mechanical probs..

Any ideas?!

Thanks a bunch!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.