• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Seat Ibiza FR TSI 1.2L - Heating Issue - Matrix/Water Pump/Head Gasket?

Oct 3, 2024
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help on here. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2012 Seat Ibiza FR TSI 1.2l that's causing me some bother. I bought it last year for £3k from someone who serviced the vehicle often and overall really looked after it. The only issue I've had with it since I bought it has been a faulty thermostat - there was no heating in the cabin. This was solved quickly and cheaply. It's been great really.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I took it for its MOT, and cost £320, mainly new rear suspension. No biggie. I use it a fair amount, sometimes doing long distance, so, fine.

After leaving the garage however, I noticed there was no heating in the cabin again. Car went back in the next day, and the mechanic called me to say something you never want to hear a mechanic say "the job is too big for me". He said it's either the heating matrix or the water pump, or both, and may cost in the region of £800. Took it to another garage and he said he wouldn't even look at it (yet) because he didn't want to waste my money. Said at this point he's not clear what it is that's broken, and that I should drive it until it breaks further so as to accurately diagnose it. Seemed v. knowledgable though, and said the same as the other mechanic. He also said that it could be the head gasket, which would be costly.

Essentially, the 'symptoms' are as follows:

Initial heat in the cabin disappears quickly, fans eventually blow out tepid/cold air. Temperature is hotter on passenger side compared to driver side, and stay hotter for longer, but after a minute or so, becomes tepid/cold.

The car overheats occasaionally. In the last 6 months this has only happened 3 or 4 times. This has only happened on the motorway, initially going 80mph, then 70mph, now 60mph. Seems to be happening more regularly. Now with the cold weather coming in though it makes it harder to diagnose as if it was summer this might be happening driving 40mph say.

2nd mechanic basically saying that he's not completely sure what the issue is, but that he did one of these jobs before, and it was the wrong thing. e.g. replaced the pump but it was actually the matrix, or head gasket. Also says he doesn't want to waste my money. Looking at £600-£900 rough estimate for pump/matrix, which is his best guess. But might end up being the head gasket. Said also I should think about maybe getting a new car, which is not what I wanted to hear..! I really like the car, and want to keep it on the road.

Additionally:

There is plenty of coolant in the reservoir. There are no leaks. Only thing I could think is that I topped up the coolant with a bog standard off the shelf brand, which was I think the same as what was used previously. Could this have caused this issue though?

There is no audible sound, no gurgling etc that might suggest trapped air.

There is also no thermostat as far as I can tell, no way to tell the temperature in the car. There is an outdoor temperature though

Hoping someone has some experience of this and might be able to help. Thanks