• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Rear breaks ??

DKershaw

1.4 Sport
Apr 6, 2009
West Yorkshire
Hello

When my car has been left stood overnight the rear breaks grind when i break untill the wheels have warmed up then the grinding stops,is this normal they are drums on the back by the way...Just priced some rear shoes up and they are cheap as chips so my next question is are they easy to change and is there a guide :confused:
thanks in advance

adaytorememb3r

Got the same problem (1.2 SX)

Rear brakes are ceased on overnight, and make an awful noise most of the time. Passed its MOT in November and had no advisories on brakes so not needing replaced.

Any advice on cleaning and adjusting would be of great help!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Got the same problem (1.2 SX)

Rear brakes are ceased on overnight, and make an awful noise most of the time. Passed its MOT in November and had no advisories on brakes so not needing replaced.

Any advice on cleaning and adjusting would be of great help!

Right, seeing as you are a fellow Northerner, the term is "seizing" - "ceasing" is a bit of a pun when you are talking about brakes! Right now, what to do, why not buy a Polo Haynes workshop manual for support - most things are the same as this Ibiza - Halfords at Straiton had them this morning - its the 2002 > 2005 manual you need. I'd reckon that the ammount of salt that was laid down over the past six weeks - until it ran out, will be to blame - your rear brakes will need a good clean out and maybe the handbrake actuating arm freed up a bit. On reflection, I'd think that most of your problems will be a partially seized handbrake actuating arm - its part of the brake shoes.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members