PhilW's Mk3 Ibiza Project Thread - 3071 - Now Breaking!

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Little service this week planned then a nice good clean on saturday before my first track day on this setup.

Going to be interesting to see how it performs and whether or not i make it back as well!

Ive booked a half day at Pembrey, a track im familiar with and quite local along with Dave on here.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Phil, I'm going to pull out of Oulton Park because I want to sort the house once I get the keys, so I'm going to ring them tomorrow to book a full day instead.

Mark it's the 7th this Sunday.

P.S the 16v is going to chase your 400 odd horses down :)

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Are you filling your tank or going with half?

I've 2x 20 litre jerry cans if we need more I'll send the old man out as he's towing the trailer down. Oh and you gotta take me out on a passenger ride, haven't been in it since you've done this engine work

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Cheers Joe, good luck with the mapping.

Dropped the oil, well sucked it out last night after going for a drive. For some reason i cant connect to the ECU, vag com fails to connect and also my scangauge. I managed to get it to connect after about 30 mins of driving but only when i pulled the fuse for the head unit, which i know is causing issues.

Maybe i just need to drive it more. lol.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Cheers Joe, good luck with the mapping.

Dropped the oil, well sucked it out last night after going for a drive. For some reason i cant connect to the ECU, vag com fails to connect and also my scangauge. I managed to get it to connect after about 30 mins of driving but only when i pulled the fuse for the head unit, which i know is causing issues.

Maybe i just need to drive it more. lol.

Thanks :) as for the OBD port errpr, sounds like you've tapped into a wrong wire for something along the way :confused:

When I installed my Zeitronx gauge my interior light wouldn't go off lol, really odd...:redface:

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Nah, nothing like that as i havent touched anything electrical in months.

I think its a battery/power/ground issues which i need to check out.

Ive only done 1000 miles since september. lol.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Well I made it back from my first track day on this setup in one piece. Just.

After spending more time preparing for it than i have any other day I'm really disappointed in how it went. It didn't start out well after doing some (very good logs) and checking AFR (perfect) i noticed the coolant temps rising which i couldn't get back down very quick. Which would turn out to be the story of the day.

Got to the track a little late as i had to pull over and check the coolant, which was pressurised again, to meet up with Dave with the mk2 on here attended the usual briefing etc... when it started to rain. Great. Got out on track and done two laps behind the Porsche pace car and even when going pretty slow i could see the coolant temp rising. Pulled back into the pit area and managed to cool it down before going out on my first session on track. Within two laps temps had risen and i had to come back in. And this was unfortunately the story of the day.

I had to bypass the secondary water pump as it was screaming and obviously on its last legs with the hope it would fix my coolant issues, but it didn't. Went back in the hope of trying this solution it would sort my problems but it didn't, instead i managed to kill my MAF somewhere so had to limp home keeping a beady eye on the coolant gauge (which didn't have any issues on normal driving, was showing about 95 degrees tho) and another eye on the AFR.

But, i will say, even tho it was wet, when i did get a lap or two not having to cool the car down it was amazing, but it really highlights the fact i need to do the headwork, i was way out of power band on certain corners where i should be in higher rpm in a lower gear. Time to start saving i think.

Im at a complete loss now as to what the coolant issue is and how to solve it, i really don't know what to do to fix it. Ive replaced the thermostat, the coolant bottle and cap, bypassed the afterun pump incase it was blocked and put copious amounts of heat shielding on anything even close to getting hot. The only thing i haven't checked is the water pump, which should be ok as its a metal impeller one.

Some pics to follow.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
I would put my money on the water pump mate. Something else to check is the coolant level, without sounding stupid, I had a leak and coolant after run pump was going mad because the coolant was low. Other than that I would probably get a hose on the pipes and blast it through just to check the flow.

Is the MAF OK now? Have you had any indications from VAGCOM?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I thought water pump initially but there is a flow into the tank which increases with RPM but the looks of things.

Coolant level actually rises and drops with the pressure that builds up but there is always coolant in there to the correct level.

MAF is dead confirmed via vag com, P0102. WOT AFR is bad, confirmed when i tried to go on boost then shut off as soon as i saw how lean it was. Cruised home after that.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
That's unfortunate :(. Do you have S4 tube? Depending on when you're needing one I may have one for sale soon. Still brand new - may not be worth it for you though because I have no discount for returning your old one lol.

I thought mine was topped up but noise disappeared once adding water above the top level...

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Well I made it back from my first track day on this setup in one piece. Just.

After spending more time preparing for it than i have any other day I'm really disappointed in how it went. It didn't start out well after doing some (very good logs) and checking AFR (perfect) i noticed the coolant temps rising which i couldn't get back down very quick. Which would turn out to be the story of the day.

Got to the track a little late as i had to pull over and check the coolant, which was pressurised again, to meet up with Dave with the mk2 on here attended the usual briefing etc... when it started to rain. Great. Got out on track and done two laps behind the Porsche pace car and even when going pretty slow i could see the coolant temp rising. Pulled back into the pit area and managed to cool it down before going out on my first session on track. Within two laps temps had risen and i had to come back in. And this was unfortunately the story of the day.

I had to bypass the secondary water pump as it was screaming and obviously on its last legs with the hope it would fix my coolant issues, but it didn't. Went back in the hope of trying this solution it would sort my problems but it didn't, instead i managed to kill my MAF somewhere so had to limp home keeping a beady eye on the coolant gauge (which didn't have any issues on normal driving, was showing about 95 degrees tho) and another eye on the AFR.

But, i will say, even tho it was wet, when i did get a lap or two not having to cool the car down it was amazing, but it really highlights the fact i need to do the headwork, i was way out of power band on certain corners where i should be in higher rpm in a lower gear. Time to start saving i think.

Im at a complete loss now as to what the coolant issue is and how to solve it, i really don't know what to do to fix it. Ive replaced the thermostat, the coolant bottle and cap, bypassed the afterun pump incase it was blocked and put copious amounts of heat shielding on anything even close to getting hot. The only thing i haven't checked is the water pump, which should be ok as its a metal impeller one.

Some pics to follow.

I've not seen a metal impellor one suffer a failed impellor yet but seen several including my own weep out of the shaft seals.
does your heater in the car get hot when you turn it up?
wondering if you have sufficient water flow or something blocked perhaps.. worth flushing the rad out?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Thanks for the comments guys, I think I might have an answer which I need to test out.

Yes bill the heater blows hot air, but when it got the highest coolant temp it would blow cold.

I think the problem is down to the fact the turbo, and coolant lines to it, are higher than than the header tank, so I'm effect causing an airlock at this point and boiling coolant before it as it cannot flow up higher than the tank.

Make sense?

I'm going to check this as well as flushing out the rad after checking for cold areas which might be limiting flow like you said.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I think I'm only having these issues because my feed/returns are banjo fittings pointing upwards due to space constraints.

I would/will get new feed and returns with 90degree fittings so the hoses never go past horizontal. I'm also going to raise the header tank a little to make sure it's above the centre of the turbo.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.