Opening boot - switch off audible warning?

Jun 7, 2024
Hi Milomoo thanks for your reply. I don't know anyone that could sort this for me, so I guess I'll have to put up with it... 😬

Tell

Staff member
My cat has triggered the virtual peddle tailgate to close a few times. He's a clever boy, waits for you to stand behind that tailgate and dashes under the bumper and out the other side. Beep, beep, beep. Ateca it would hit you. I jump back thinking what happened. Yeah.

That is really there so it doesn't clip you if you accidentally trigger it. People living in gated communities etc don't like it and the one with the bongs when the door is open. Can't please everyone.

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
I need to borrow your cat to find my pedal. I've only ever set it off using an air line on the tryes, and for a moment I was like WTF??

Every time I've wafted a foot under it I've given up and pressed the button.

Reactions: Seastormer

Tell

Staff member
It's foot underneath and step back if it works like the Ateca. It uses the step back after foot underneath as the safety measure. Cat charging right to left under the bumper and me stepping back without the foot did the operation. A foot underneath and not clearing the area doesn't work. Where the beeps come in handy if you have rogue pets. The beeps also stop him from jumping in the boot as it closes... we hope. The boot carpet represents a mobile scratching post as all outdoor cat owners with cars know.

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
It's foot underneath and step back if it works like the Ateca. It uses the step back after foot underneath as the safety measure. Cat charging right to left under the bumper and me stepping back without the foot did the operation. A foot underneath and not clearing the area doesn't work. Where the beeps come in handy if you have rogue pets. The beeps also stop him from jumping in the boot as it closes... we hope. The boot carpet represents a mobile scratching post as all outdoor cat owners with cars know.
Ah it works, tried it today. maybe I could read the manual but 100 plus pages is a bit much even for a car enthusiast. Many thanks to you and your cat.

Reactions: Tell

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
it's the stepping backwards which is important 🤫.
That's only if you have a cat to go under the back of the car before you step back :giggle:
I don't know how this foot waggle (left-right) idea spread among the users, but the Manual clearly states one has to move the foot in-and-out under the detection area quite quickly (which means your cat payed attention to the instructions :)).

Screenshot 2024-07-18 at 09.48.43.png

Reactions: Cupra306Form

Tell

Staff member
It's a kick underneath and step back although you can head side wise rather than step back. Hanging about behind the car after getting your foot in and out does prevent it from opening. They allude to picking up the rest of the foot after the procedure. May be it's that, that is variable. Why the "step back" comes in.

I did have one incident when dumping AV equipment at the tip once. A boot full of metal equipment seemed to change the sensitivity and behaviour. It started to close down on my head without the leg kick. It had become super sensitive... why it's not a good idea to turn off the audio warning. The Ateca closer motor is not known for it's sensitive not to push hard against resistance. One of those review tests they do. Pass on how much resistance is required to stop the Formentor action once started.

The step back procedure can be tricky if reverse parked with a kerb... been there, done that.

Last edited:

Milomoo

Jul 4, 2024
My cat has triggered the virtual peddle tailgate to close a few times. He's a clever boy, waits for you to stand behind that tailgate and dashes under the bumper and out the other side. Beep, beep, beep. Ateca it would hit you. I jump back thinking what happened. Yeah.

That is really there so it doesn't clip you if you accidentally trigger it. People living in gated communities etc don't like it and the one with the bongs when the door is open. Can't please everyone.
Hehe, I usually opened ours by mistake when I washed the car, with my keys in my pocket. Ended up washing the interior too 🤦🏼‍♂️😂

• Love

Cupra306Form

Sep 24, 2023
I found this useful yesterday, I had a bucket of tools in one hand and a folding ladder in the other when unloading the boot. I used it to close it - just for info if anyone tries this there is a slight delay and the beep starts before the tailgate shuts, but it worked well with the swipe and step back technique. Good feature.

Tell

Staff member
I found this useful yesterday, I had a bucket of tools in one hand and a folding ladder in the other when unloading the boot. I used it to close it - just for info if anyone tries this there is a slight delay and the beep starts before the tailgate shuts, but it worked well with the swipe and step back technique. Good feature.
It is handy if you got your hands full. No putting the shopping or luggage down on the ground to close or open the boot. Can reduce your trips to load and unload the boot. The virtual pedal bit isn't put on all VAG cars. The electric tailgate but for cheapness they don't install the pedal bit on all models. For the elderly or fully loaded with carrying stuff reaching up for the button can be tricky and ofcourse you got tailgate grub on the outside button. It's a nice feature.

Reactions: Cupra306Form