• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Occassional loss of coolant .... pressure relief??

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
This was one of the "advantages" for cam belt short service life - and same for cam belt driven coolant pumps that had a hard short life being driven by the cam belt.
I've watched the G13 quickly head towards being acidic in my wife's 2015 VW Polo 1,2TSI 110PS, an engine that was deemed not to need these "top up" pouches, when in reality, it would have helped keep the coolant a bit less acidic, so that is a job I MUST DO very soon, got the G12evo and a coolant vac replenish kit which I've used already.
Agreed. Coolant for life was always a bit ambitious. I have the same disdain for the switchable water pump and early failure of that. My car is in the shop at the moment for a new cam belt & pump and I'll be getting another pump without the stupid electronic shroud. The last one has been spot on for 5 years.

Hope you have fun changing coolant!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I’ve used this Draper kit on my 2011 Audi S4 mainly as it was said to be a slightly tricky engine to get get of trapped air, and it seemed to work okay even although my compressor is very small.
The official workshop manual for the VW 1.2TSI says to use this vac refill method, so hopefully it will be easy, some people even suggest just disconnect the small pipe that discharges coolant back into the reservoir, lengthen it and place it in a bucket, start the engine and keep refilling the reservoir until you have added maybe 8litres back in, stop engine, sort out pipe - job done!
I’ll stick with the vac refill method.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.