MK3 Cupra front shock light misting of oil

Jul 1, 2024
Hey, so looking at maybe picking up my first VAG car specifically a MK3 Cupra 290 2020 around 32k miles. I've noticed on the last MOT history it has the advisory:
  • Nearside Front Shock absorbers has light misting of oil (5.3.2 (b))
  • Offside Front Shock absorbers has light misting of oil (5.3.2 (b))
Any advice on what I should do or expect if I did purchase the car? I believe this is fairly common, but not sure if I should stay clear or if it needs fixing what sort of price I could be looking at. Thanks

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
Shocks will need replacing soon. Depends how bad they’re leaking. Monroe sell them now. I bought my most recent pair of Autodoc very cheaply, and still same parts as OEM. These cars go through shocks. Plus, the roads here are awful! You need to be good at dodging and swerving potholes.

Jul 1, 2024
Shocks will need replacing soon. Depends how bad they’re leaking. Monroe sell them now. I bought my most recent pair of Autodoc very cheaply, and still same parts as OEM. These cars go through shocks. Plus, the roads here are awful! You need to be good at dodging and swerving potholes.
Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at those, do you know roughly how much you paid for replacements fitted (not dealer)? If I pick one up it will be the daily probably doing 10-15k miles a year, shocks every 2 years would kinda suck lol

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
£187 for both fronts fitting, and bought a pair for £218. I kept the old ones though, has the fault was only with 1. And there was no leaking, turns out the wiring loom had corroded which threw an error! So I’ll be putting those shocks back one next time when needed.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise