Limp Mode

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Afternoon All!

Am the proud new owner of a SEAT Leon MK1 1.8T, engine code AUQ. Bit of a newbie but learning quick with this one! Done about 4k miles on it since Feb and it hasn't stopped yet.

I went to Birmingham to buy a car (I live in Bath) and it was completely not as described. I was told it was standard, WAS IT HELL! In the end I drove all that way and thought i'd take a punt anyway...

So, a week in CEL appeared... bum went tight....

SAI incorrect flow, fairly common and managed to pick up a genuine second hand part off ebay for £80.00 and fitted myself. BARGAIN! Included drilling the rivets out and fitting nuts/bolts to be sure it didn't split while I was doing it.

Problem is, the car goes into Limp Mode on a cold start, not all of the time but maybe 70%, once it warms up and i turn car off and on its fine again. I presumed this may be the SAI as that was the fault code showing. Its made no difference.

After a bit of research it seems like n249 and possibly n112 have been bypassed. I want to take this back to standard. I'm a big believer that it was made that way for a reason and can find 5 vacuum hoses that don't go anywhere which is never good. None of these have been blocked up.

Combi valve is still there and nothing seems to be blanked off. I have the braided hose for the FPR still going straight into inlet manifold and new hoses going between DV and inlet manifold with a T piece for boost gauge and another T piece splits the hose so one goes into inlet manifold next to FPR and the other goes to where the n249 hose is meant to be attached at the front left of inlet manifold.

Problem is I have a couple of hoses coming out from underneath n112 and i'm not sure what to do with them. It looks like a Y hose and i presume it just needs a one way valve put in?

Would appreciate if someone had any pictures of the standard setup for n112/n249 so I could compare and make sure everything is where its meant to be.

Any ideas on what is causing the limp mode would also be appreciated. So far its had a new MAF, cone filter has been taken off and the air box put back on and new SAI pump.

Took it to my local and it stumped them! They are giving me a call if they get a car with same engine code thats standard so they can play with it but until then i'm stuck.

Really appreciate all the help in advance and looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Many thanks
Oli

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Thanks guys, that would be a huge help.

Yes, n112 and n249 still there. The only bit missing is the breather tank on top of coil 4, i've ordered one off fleabay which should be here Tuesday.

If anyone wants to see any pics i'll upload them over the weekend.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
plNmas4oj

Last edited:

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Yeh I took that small tank thing of the other night there and on full boost my car sounded wierd, was like a bird chirp when coming of the throttle, I've now stuck is back on and car great again

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
imageshack.com/a/img921/3057/6UhrwO.jpg

imageshack.com/a/img923/6037/YYyCVr.jpg

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Could anyone also tell me what is meant to go on the bracket pictured?

Many thanks

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Just the cover mate, ur missing this also in the photo, that's where your problem is lol if you haven't got that box stick I bolt in that pipe, bobs ur uncle lol

image_zps9njqrzby.jpeg

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
Hear you photo, my photo above you should have that box on this pipe, if not stick a bolt in this pipe in your photo, I took that box off but was getting a funny noise now it's back in the Noise is away.

image_zpsi3e62yoj.jpeg

Last edited:

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
imageshack.com/i/plCbYn3Qj

BigJohn, has yours had the n249 bypassed? I guess not as you still have the breather tank in place.

Could you check by the n112 underneath the hoses circled in red? One of the hoses is circled yellow, there is another one right next to it that you can't see in the picture. Both of these lead nowhere and don't look like they've been cut down.

I think these hoses just need a one way valve (circled blue) put between them, could you confirm whether you have a one way valve in the pipework on yours or whether it leads somewhere else?

Would you think that hose (breather tank) being unblocked would be causing the limp mode?

Many thanks

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
The box you circled has arrived from fleabay now, i'll be fitting it shortly once I can find the right bolts...

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
I think that will be causing you to go into limp mode mate if I had the photo the other day I could have told you. I've not got my car till tea time but I'll have alook then and let you no. Have you got the bracket for that tank to fit onto?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
imageshack.com/a/img921/843/CbYn3Q.jpg

Not sure if the above one was the right link...

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
UPDATE: P0411 Incorrect flow detected SAI, again!

Had hoped the new pump would sort this (old one was filled with water) but obviously not...

It's gotta be something to do with this bypass, picking up some cable ties and bits and bobs shortly and will try and take it back to standard over the weekend. Hopefully my vacuum hoses will arrive today.

Also ordered a new DV (710P, newer model of the 710N) that should be here Monday/Tuesday. BigJohn, did you manage to take a look at that pipework? Those two hoses are the only ones I'm unsure about.

Thanks

Bigjohn84

Intagram / johnyoung84
May 5, 2015
No sorry mate I'll grab it later today

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Oli2901

Jun 17, 2016
Have reversed the n249/n112 bypass but car still goes into limp mode (not as much though, although its early days).

Any ideas on next steps?

Liam180cupra

Jan 27, 2016
I have the n249 at the moment to rule out the solenoids being bad as ive had alot of problems with mine.
Maybe overboosting? N75?
maybe the cam position sensor?
I doubt its a boost leak as it would just lose power depending on the size of the leak.
I havent got any lights on mine and it runs like a bag of spanners.
Fingers crossed its all sorted after taking it to a decent tuners for a few runs on dyno.
Its been trial and error for me spent an absolute fortune on it up to now and got no were.
A trip to the tuners and around £450 lighter their saying all is well.
My advise would be if you dont know these engines get it to a decent place who work on fast cars as it will be much cheaper in the long run.
Unless you live near to someone with vag com

Last edited: