Leon Cupra project “The Black Mamba” 800++ HP 1.8t build(engine assembly page 9)

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
ok I am back with updates and it is summer time so lots of time to work on the project since I have time off from university

I will start with the rear brakes as you can see I refurbished them and got theme powder coated black to fit the fronts
disassembling is easy only need to attach air pressure hose to the brake fluid inlet in the caliper give some pressure and the pistons pop out I do advise to install a wood block in between the pistons so they don't go flying and you don't hurt your self's. installation is easy as well just lobe everything up with brake fluid and install the dost boots into the pistons before installing them because if they get pushed in by mistake which they will you will need to attach the caliper back up to air pressure to get the piston back out
if anyone is interested I can elaborate more on the procedure of refurbishing the calipers
the install not much to say about it I just removed the old calipers and installed the new ones using 312mm discs I'm using solid front discs for now until I finish working on the floating discs and hats I am getting CNC'd

bad pictures in the install because I forgot my camera on my way to my shop so Iphone pictures for now I will get better pictures when I get around to giving the car a wash

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

install (more pictures soon!!!)

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Last edited:

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

I also did the front wishbone bushings I got whiteline polyurethane bushings because they looked better made to me than what powerflex had to over for this specific application I didn't get any hard core bearing type bushings because they are intended for the track and although this car is getting the best high quality parts bearing will need some attention and replacing due to excessive ware of day to day driving so they are not suitable for the road
you can see that in the front bushing I got an aluminum bushing milled and press inserted into the controlarm this is to lower the flex of the MK2 type controlarms in the TT that come with 45mm bushings instead of the original 30mm ones this should give the car sharper response and less understear basically I am using regular 30mm polyurethane bushings with an aluminum 45.1mm exduser ,30mm inducer and 40mm long bushing inserted into the controlarm this is a simple but effective modification

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Last edited:

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
now to the surge tank I did the initial design on Solidworks then made a cardboard box replica of it and inserted it into the front wing under the right body panel below the chassis after making sure it fit I went forward and got it fabricated I didn't do any of the welding that was done by my friend who is a master fabricator and an aviation grade welder
after we got the surge tank fabed we positioned it inside the wing in order to position the fuel hose inlets ,outlets and mounts.
the surge tank is utilizing two 044 Bosche motorsport pumps with individual check valves using 8AN pickups going into 10AN hose via y fitting
you can also see I designed the surge tank with a slope in order to assure a supply of fuel at all times,also made a flap that will stop the fuel from escaping the pickups in corners and hard accelerations.

inlet into the surge tank is from the original line return line goes from the regulator back to the surge tank and an overflow line is attached from the surge tank back to the original return line.
these lines will be attached using original fittings to connect to the original lines positioned next to the right strut .
surge tank has a 4 liter capacity, this should all assure a constant supply of fuel under all occasions and requirements.

surgetank1-1.png

surgetank2-1.png

surgetank3-1.png

IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
hmmmm not much interest in my project :blink:

maybe black Anodized surge tank and fittings will get more attention [B)]

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

and a powdercoated accessory mount

IMG_0065.jpg

dedon

Aug 31, 2011
hey hows it going?

sorry to bring up an old post again. could i ask where you got the eyebrows for your lights?

Cheers

Homar

Incredible work! The subject of spectacular brakes, I'm behind a brake adapters as you put your back, you could send me information by private or by email? Thank you very much:) [email protected]

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
thanks guys nice to get some response I just got back from the weekend at the Italian grandprix in Monza so I will have updates soon
I am waiting on valves and engine bearings to finish the motor so there will be a big Wright up on that soon also some exotic race prep engine work going on like CNC boring of the motor deck ,cylinder and line boring so look out for updates

by the way the eye brows where n the car when I got it actually I want to remove theme but never get around to doing it

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
ok head shots these are old photos of the head I got build a few years ago and is waiting for the rest of the project to catch up to
it's a Schrick solid lifter kit including all the parts: solid lifter billet camshafts, titanium retainers and seats, lifters and springs
schrick say it's good for 10k I don't know about that but I think it will give a good reliable 9K revving engine
the head has gone through some heavy modifying including clearance for the camshafts opening up around the valves and smoothening the combustion chamber
all the ports where ported out on a flow bench for optimal performance exhaust ports have bin smoothened out as well
I also have a set of Ferrea valves that will be arriving soon to be installed in the head what you see in the pictures are the standard valves and also have some special valve guides in it as well
that's it for now ;)

solidlifterhead004.jpg

solidlifterhead009s.jpg

solidlifterhead027s.jpg

solidlifterhead011.jpg

solidlifterhead010.jpg

solidlifterhead018s.jpg

solidlifterhead020s.jpg

Talx

Nov 29, 2008
NEW! set of R888 225/40/18 came in finally after a long wait,for some reason we are last to get theme over hear. I had the R1R on for the time being between set's but I am not all that pleased with theme
it's not that I have a problem with their traction it's the fact that they are soggy on the side wall and it was also a drastic switch from the R888 to the R1R I guess after you get used to a semi slick it's hard to go back
although there are the AD08 witch give the same traction as the R1R but with a bit of a harder side wall the R888 will always be a step or two above

R8882254018019.jpg

R8882254018026.jpg

EL

Forever Alive
Mar 17, 2008
Bickley, Bromley
Brilliant progress mate. R888's will make a massive difference. Few people I know swear by them and they running them on seriously tuned cars

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members