LCR or FR???? Can't make me mind up!!

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Like many said, most would have the LCR anyday but if costs are an issue then the FR would also be a good drivers car and is easily tweakable!

No arguing or anything intended but I fail to see how a mapped FR or vRS with close to 300lb/ft of torque wouldn't be as quick as a standard LCR from say 30-90 through the gears... simple maths and power to weight ratios suggest that one would be.

My Missus has a GT TDi PD150 Golf mk4 which has the same engine and through the gears it is as quick as my LCR from say 30-90 no doubt about it. Okay the power delivery is different, but they are both rapid in real world terms. I'm sure if I mapped the Golf it would be quicker than my standard LCR, although the LCR would be much easier to keep 'on the boil' due to its wider power band.

As far as 'leaving Octavias or vRSs for dead' - that is something that you just can't prove unless you're both on the strip at Santa Pod both gunning it. On a public road there are so many variables and you have no idea if the Octavia was giving it 100% when you pulled away :D

Anyway, can we have some pics of the new LCR matey?!

J:)

R4MSN_86CUPRA R

Jan 31, 2008
Glasgow
Yeah good choice for the lcr like a said before. I dont think its right the way everbody went about kinda picking on VRS Goldie Jon. There top cars the vrs's

cap r 225

the need for speed!
Feb 24, 2008
nantwich
www.seatcupra.net
cap r wrote

next to my paint number in the boot it just says LC92???

If you look closely I think you'll find it's LC9Z

C9Z is the paint code for Black Magic :) You're a winner :funk:

Probably is a Z not a 2, sorry. It does look great in the Sun when it's waxed, but if i'd known the difference when i bought the car i'd have probably looked for Ebony black, it is a much deeper shine!

Its not metallic paint ... its Black Magic Pearlescent ... get it right :p

I like it a little bit more now:lol: Pearlscent sounds so much better than Mettalic:cartman:

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I prefered the look of my standard Cupra to the R to be honest. Well, I did once I'd added a badge and splitter and bigger brakes.

Having said that, with my car trashed I'm looking to get a Cupra R when I get a payout.

I'm thinking I might miss all my torque though.

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
depends on your annual mileage
unless it's near 20,000 miles get the LCR

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Once on a private road:

LCR - relative
LC150 - me
Suzui Bandit 1300 - relative

Starting at about 30mph
Bike dissappeared.
LCR and LC were pretty neck and neck until about 100 when the LCR just kept going and the LC couldn't as much.

But then like people say, it's down to cost.

If you'd like to spend £125 a year on road tax and get 50% further from a gallon of fuel, go for the diesel. I'd never had one before and it turned into my prefect car. I'd still have it for as long as I could see if it hadn't been taken away :eek:(

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
That sounds alot more like it...

In real world terms it takes a heck of a lot of extra horsepower/torque to simply 'leave someone for dead.' I could well imagine that the differences in acceleration between a stock LC and LCR would be as Dycontinued describes it.. the variable vane turbo power delivery of the LCR gives it that extra kick at 85+ mph and would give it the edge over the LC for sure, but up to that speed there would be little in it.

It would be interesting to see a similar comparison test between an FR150 and a stock LC or LCR too. I think it would be closer than many would think between 30-100mph :D

Just had my tax bill through on the LCR and its £118.25 for the next 6 months... the Missus just had hers last month and its £68.25 for the same period. That's superb considering the performance of the TDi 150!

Last edited:

Goldie Jon

Dec 7, 2009
Denbighshire, North wales
No arguing or anything intended but I fail to see how a mapped FR or vRS with close to 300lb/ft of torque wouldn't be as quick as a standard LCR from say 30-90 through the gears... simple maths and power to weight ratios suggest that one would be.

Go on youtube and type in Fabia vrs vs Golf GTTDI vs Cupra r nurburgring (i havent made 15 posts to post the URL)

That vid backs it up. In the corners as you would expect the lcr is all over him, and seems to know the track better, but on a the straights there isnt a huge amount in it, until he brakes to let him past as he judged the corner wrong.

Either way the LCR and the L150 are truly great cars.

Gotta love the TDI tax though.

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Why yes, but clearly any diesel Skoda would spank any other car...

The problem with any nurburgring video is that anyone who doesn't know the track and values their car will be pooing their pants, while a seasoned vet would spank them in a Transit.

I declare the evidence inadmissible...

I think someone sholud close this thread IMO, it's getting silly

EmDee

Omnishambolic
i think you'll find that actually I didnt watch it - I just typed in Fabia vrs vs Golf GTTDI vs Cupra r nurburgring in YouTube and it doesnt have any results

All I was saying that you posting a video won't settle the argument. Who's to say that any car in some video doesn't have a map, BT, diff etc, not to even mention driver ability, the possibility that someone has let off the accelerator or has an issue with their car etc.

I don't actually disagree with anyone, I'm just saying that your evidence is shyte.

:bleh:

Last edited:

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Not completely related but I the Golf GTTDI's are gash. Couldn't pull away from a Focus Zetec 1.8 TDCI which is 2s off the CupraTDI 0-60.

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
Guys - you might want to take it to PM, because its just off topic and we'll just end up getting the thread closed. Nothing personal to you 2, by all means carry on, its just that the LCR vs LC 150 seems to be quite a useful thread to have, for now and to point out to people when we all ask them to 'use the search button' so might be nice to have it open for others to comment on.

No offense though :)

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Okay, back on topic and for anyone wanting to compare the performance and acceleration of a petrol Cupra (180 or Leon Cupra R 210/225) to an FR150 diesel I think you need to take into account a few things: -

Firstly both are very nice drivers cars IMO and give plenty of reward for the keen driver who likes a responsive engine and decent grip and body control through the bends.

Both look the bollox too IMO :D

However, pretty much any diesel engine this side of a BMW 335d will not be lightning out of the blocks. 0-60 times just DO NOT tell the full story about how 'quick' these cars are. Too many people quote 0-60 times from 'The Knowledge' section at the back of EVO magazine and think that it is all you need to know about the performance of a car, when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes, the petrol Cupra models offer far superior acceleration from a standing start and would whoop an FR150 to 60 or so becuase the diesel engines generally bog down before the turbo kicks in or the traction control tries to rein in the large lump of torque the diesel engine dishes up quite low down - but if both were driving side by side at say 30mph and gunned it at the same time there would be very little in it, and THIS is what you notice when driving a powerful diesel like the FR150 on the country lanes.

They are QUICK - and are match for most hot hatches out there, and when you take into account the cheap tax, very good fuel economy and cheaper insurance they offer great 'bang for buck' satisfaction.

Both the LCR and FR are great cars and depending on what suits your budget there is no right or wrong choice :D

P.s Dyscontinued - I take you are just taking the p155? The Golf GT TDI 150 is basically the same car as the FR150 - If the GTTDI you are referring to was a 150 and couldn't pull away from a Focus TDCi then there was something wrong with it buddy :)

mrplebby

Can we stop the c0ck waving? "....My car IS faster than yours.....fact..." etc etc etc...........

Stay on topic or loose the thread will get binned :shrug:

Simples...

Here Here, you'll be getting your tape measures out next ha ha :lol:

mrplebby

It all comes down to how many penaulty points you have on your license after all the limited is 70mph :(, i have 7 points failing to stop and report, i clipped the bumper on a car whilst leaving a motorway service station with the rear of my 27ft caravan and never felt or herd a thing.
Someone stuck my details on the cars window i went to court also fined £600 and my insurance didnt want to no me anymore and ended up paying double somewhere else, that and losing my job 3months later is why im going for the FR+ over the cupra R.

Just my 10 pence worth.

Dave

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise