LCR Goodyear GSDs Vs Dunlop SP 9000 - Which Ones

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Wayne 1 said:
My biggest concern is tyre pressures. The dealer say's they should wear smooth in the centre but I think this is due to over inflation. Any comments would be appreciated.

Wayne. Norfolk

They all wear in the centre first, weak sidewalls are rumoured to be the issu and at motorway speeds the tyre distorts wearing the centre first.

Get rid of the Pirelli's and get some

Goodyear Eagle F1's
Toyo T1-R
or the Dunlops above

All similar price to the Pirelli, difference is night and day different.

Oh and I would recommend new tyres on the back of the car when you get them done, some people don't agree but then again not many on here have done as many miles in SEAT Leon's as me.

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yes, I remember seeing a test done by Mike Brewer in a Vauxhall Corsa, they put used tyres on the back and new on the front, went round a wet bend and spun off backward - did the same but with the new on the back and the car went round the corner with just a little understeer!

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
RobDon said:
Yes, I remember seeing a test done by Mike Brewer in a Vauxhall Corsa, they put used tyres on the back and new on the front, went round a wet bend and spun off backward - did the same but with the new on the back and the car went round the corner with just a little understeer!

Some people disagree with you and me as the front tyres handle power / traction and steering but that's a bit old skool IMO.

These days cars are designed to understeer, so changing the dynamics of the car and giving the front more grip means you end up with a front end that doesn't understeer then snaps to oversteer.

I have notched up 1 written off Cupra which I (partly) blame on this, spinning down the middle lane of the M5 at 70mph in the wet / dark is not recommended.

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
In the AutoExpress tests, SportMaxx was the best in the dry, but Eagle F1 was better in the wet. So given the UK's climate, it's F1s all the way.

The SP9000 is now a fairly old design, and is being withdrawn by Dunlop. In the German magazine tests it did very poorly against modern tyres.

And all the tyre manufacturers say new tyres on the back.

Simon.

quattroman

Sep 26, 2003
Devon
Visit site
Yes F1's are good very good infact so good that I just bought 5 this week -
wait for it -why 5 -well 3 days after the first 4 were fitted I woke up on sat morning to a flat nearside rear. Pumped up with compressor and had a look around the tyre -no visible signs of anything, rang up the tye supplier and took the car down to have it checked -
A dirty big screw had impaled itself into tread 5mm from inner sidewall-
Yep one scrap brand new F'1 3 days old -unreapearable..
Havnt had a puncture in 7 years and never had a brand new tyre written off in 3 days. Gutted.

quattroman.

Wayne 1

Thanks for your comments.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your comments. I will be fitting new tyres all round very soon. This has been of much use to me as i'm on my 2nd set of Pirelli's on the front. This set I have just switched to the back on the advice of the old school. But I'm please with what you have told me the handling has certainly changed and these comments have made my mind up to change the tyres sooner rather than later.

I will be fitting Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. Kwick Fit on line are giving you VAT back if you buy more than two. So for a set of four costing me £602 all in.

A lot more than Goodyears and Dunlops I know but I hope they will be worth it. My baby deserves the best LOL!!!

Anyways your comments are appreciated and I will let you know how I get on with the Michelins.

Regards,
Wayne.

Si

Southern MoFo!
Aug 21, 2003
Bournemouth
www.westover.org.uk
I have poped two F1's on my LCR, only been on 2 months and the tread is down to 4mm so they are not as hard wearing a first thought. Also IMO they are not 'all that' grip wise but maybe the car too. I always used Pirelli Neros on my BMW and i have never use another tyre so impressive grip wise.
I would love to pop a set of Nero's on the LCR but the Neros are SOOOO expensive in the 225/40/18 size! :cry:

May save up for them next time!

RobDon

Pro Detailer
I've had F1's before and I tend to agree, I wouldn't say they had awesome grip although they are good, slightly better than most in the wet but who drives hard in the wet? I'm more interested in dry grip, and the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx have the beating of the F1's in the dry - hence my choice, Toyo T1-R's have better dry grip too. I've also heard of some problems with F1's too, sidewall bubbles etc.. but that may just have been a dodgy batch.

cupraR373

Ebony Black LCR225
Dec 17, 2004
Deep Underground
Three points about GSD3's

1. Since ive changed to goodyear its a totally transformed my car! Handling, Traction have improved!

2. The rim protectors on the GSD3's are great they actually cover the edge of the alloy!

3. They look great!;)

cupracooper

Somewhere in the middle
Jan 19, 2004
Warwickshire
Visit site
cupraR373 said:
3. They look great!;)

obj1027538.jpg

Yep!

CupraR-Rog

Just Cruising...
Jul 19, 2003
West Somerset
Visit site
Si said:
I have poped two F1's on my LCR, only been on 2 months and the tread is down to 4mm so they are not as hard wearing a first thought. Also IMO they are not 'all that' grip wise but maybe the car too. I always used Pirelli Neros on my BMW and i have never use another tyre so impressive grip wise.
I would love to pop a set of Nero's on the LCR but the Neros are SOOOO expensive in the 225/40/18 size! :cry:

May save up for them next time!
Just bite the bullit and get them!

I did (the Nero's that is), and was certainly impressed!! But didn't run them on the car long enough to gauge life wear...

With the F1's tho, I found they lasted better than the Pirelli's...

Worst tyre for me was the Vredestein Ultrac - just had no feel to them, and oddly for me (who usually runs higher than handbook tyre pressures!), found they ran best at 30psi front, 27psi rear... other tyres seem to suit 36 - 38psi all around on the R's.

danielbarnett

Apr 19, 2005
STOKE-ON-TRENT
well as always it depends what your after. If you want a very good performing tyre, that sticks to the road like glue, it aint going to last many miles. Get some cut slicks on. I mean when did a copper :cop: last check what your tyres said on them? The very most they do is check the depth. But then in the same breath these tyres would be shite for someone just going work in their car and having the odd blast now and again.

I have an aprilia mille and same principle applies, although tyres are even more important (theres only 2!) What one man says is a great tyre may not suit your needs......

Just4 Perry

Word of warning. If you get stopped and the tyre pressure are found to be either grossly over or under inflated you could be in danger of prosecution.

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
Just4 Perry said:
Word of warning. If you get stopped and the tyre pressure are found to be either grossly over or under inflated you could be in danger of prosecution.
on a car? are you sure?
strange, i never met a copper who said 'that looks a bit hard sir'
maybe i just don't meet the right ones ;)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise