HELP Gearbox Troubles!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Hi Jock

wow your bits are dear!

Dizzy leads for a 1.6 should be cheap as anything (certainly sub A$100) - they're just standard length leads (universal fit) - window regs are dear in the UK too - but not quite that bad.... Alternators are normally supplied as exchange units (but was one of the more expensive units to fail on any of mine)

if you can locate a source of VW parts for the Mk3 golf - you'll have access to cheaper service items

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I think you've had a bad run just lately, window regulators are common failure and mine has had one go but they are much cheaper here than they are in Australia it seems. 50k is nothing on a VAG engine providing its been properly maintained, although it will need the cambelt replacing at 60k. I had a 1.4 which i ran to 80k and i'm on a 2.0 which is just about to cross 111k, i haven't had any serious problems on either car, the most expense i have had is a starter motor for the 1.4 at £150 fitted. The main mechanicals are virtually the same as the mk3 golf and mk4 polo, so if you can find the corresponding part numbers maybe they would be easier to source

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.