help converting 1.4 sxe into a 2.0 8V!

R3 NDD

Apr 1, 2008
redcar
i bought a 2L 8v cupra intending to fit the engine into my 1.4 8v mk 2. i have removed the engine, gearbox, driveshafts, exhaust, and brakes. just wondering what is best to be done with the wiring? im guessing its not all just plug and play as it seems theres a lot more sensors on the 2.0L engine? anybody else converted a 1.4 or got any advice?

cheers:D

Last edited:

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
It is all plug and play mate. I think that if you have the loom from the fusebox to the ecu/engine then you will be alright. Im guessing you have taken the clocks from the gti??

Have you just taken the front brakes from the gti or have you taken the rear beam aswell?? Maybe worth trying to fit abs (if possible) because if you just fit the rear beam with the gti discs you will more than likely have the rears locking up under medium/hard braking.

R3 NDD

Apr 1, 2008
redcar
i took the dash out and all the wiring seemed to be all in one! came through the bulkhead and it dosent seem to split!! thats why im confused

and i sold the clocks!:( wish i hadnt now! i was fitting the rear beam off the cupra but was going to try and get away without fitting abs. got told it was a nightmare?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
i took the dash out and all the wiring seemed to be all in one! came through the bulkhead and it dosent seem to split!! thats why im confused

and i sold the clocks!:( wish i hadnt now! i was fitting the rear beam off the cupra but was going to try and get away without fitting abs. got told it was a nightmare?

If you have the wiring from the engine side it should plug straight into the fusebox.

You may get away with abs, I aint sure. But I wouldnt fancy hitting the brakes and the rears locking up.

R3 NDD

Apr 1, 2008
redcar
starting to make sense now (i think) theres was two wires comeing though the bulkhead, one goes to the back of the car for the brake lights the door sensors etc but the other one runs behind the dash heading towards the fusebox. so in theory i should just take it from the fusebox and swap it with the one from my car?

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
starting to make sense now (i think) theres was two wires comeing though the bulkhead, one goes to the back of the car for the brake lights the door sensors etc but the other one runs behind the dash heading towards the fusebox. so in theory i should just take it from the fusebox and swap it with the one from my car?

Yep you should just need the stuff from the fusebox into the engine (dont quote me on that though!! :confused:) because the loom that goes to the rear of the car for brake lights etc will already be there so it wont need replaced.

R3 NDD

Apr 1, 2008
redcar
all looked like it was joined together! i thought it was one big wirey mess!!!! ill go home now and give it a bash !:D

R3 NDD

Apr 1, 2008
redcar
Where abouts are the immobiliser chips? In the keys? And i saw those clocks think il put a cheeky bid in:)

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
You may get away with abs, I aint sure. But I wouldnt fancy hitting the brakes and the rears locking up.

You can get away without ABS!

2.0 8v GTi Cupra Sports only got ABS in 1998 mines a 1997 build regged in 98 so no ABS, 9/10 times you don't need it. You certainly don't get lock up in normal conditions although in bad weather its about the same as the 1.4 brakes. Takes a lot of effort to get the rear disks to lock - even the handbrake doesn't do it!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
You can get away without ABS!

2.0 8v's only got ABS in 1998 mines a 1997 build regged in 98 so no ABS, 9/10 times you don't need it. You certainly don't get lock up in normal conditions although in bad weather its about the same as the 1.4 brakes. Takes a lot of effort to get the rear disks to lock - even the handbrake doesn't do it!

2.0 8v's had ABS in 96 ;)

R3 NDD

Apr 1, 2008
redcar
The friend i sold the locks too has the key but he only has the two door locks. He is using his original key for the ignition and the bootlock. So will he need the chip to unlock his car?

R3 NDD

Apr 1, 2008
redcar
just taken my key appart to find the bit i need off my friend and i dont know wich part it is? if i use the whole green board then my car wont open with the central locking will it ??

R3 NDD

Apr 1, 2008
redcar
theres a little bit of loose plastic under a piece of metal that presses against the battery? everything else looks like its been attatched with solder ?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.