Give me a good REASON WHY I should buy a K1?

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
;) hello people im thinking of taking a closer look at the K1 can you people give me or persuade me with why the k1 is better than the lcr mk1 ????????:shrug:

and yes my lcr is remapped to 265bhp[B)]

(in other words sell the LCR)

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Owned both well a Mk2 Cupra (same as a K1 but better looking ;)), still have a soft spot for the LCR it's a looker and quick, but the Mk2 is a step up in terms of performance and handling and I like the look of the car well I do with the big rims on it like mine. :)

Most important over 300hp with a stg1 chip and exhaust as a start and much much more if you go stage 2. If you think a tuned LCR is quick a tuned Mk2 will really show you what you were missing.

I've just swapped from a diesel, i'm willing to for go MPG for the cupra performance, like mark i prefer the looks of the standard car too. Cars age without you really knowing it, i'd take one for a drive and i'm sure you will like it, i guess - having never driven a LCR that it won't be as raw but trust me you will like it, build quality is ok, I traded an A3 SLine in for mine and i have absolutly no regrets in fact its the first time in 5 years that I have actually enjoyed owning a car and looking after it.

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Owned my LCR from new and after 4 years it was as modded as far as i could go. It was the best car i had owned to date. Didn,t originally like the look of the mk2 but it grew on me. When i saw the press pics of the K1 i had to have one.

As Z says, there is nothing wrong with the LCR but you would struggle to get beyond 300bhp without some serious wedge. If you can afford a mk2 you will not be disappointed. The cabin is user friendly, the chassis/suspension/brakes are years ahead of the LCR and tuning is a doddle.
I can really embarrass some serious performance cars in my little K1 - it always makes me smile :D

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Owned 2 LCR's and now an S3 (a Leon Cupra with a rear diff/propshaft).

I adored the LCR's. The look, and the mix with Audi interior feel made it such an allrounder.

For it's day it was groundbreaking, and a bit of an unknown gem. In standard spec it was a good car, but with a bit of tuning it became a fairly potent tool. There were two weak links that stopped it from being Mk2 troubling, and these were:

1) Power: Even in stage 2 spec running FMIC and full exhaust/cats I don't think it was possible to break 300bhp. You needed a BT conversion but that put the car into 350+ territory, but then you need some serious suspension mods which leads me onto....

2) Suspension: Even with a dogbone mount, coilovers, ARB's, uprated engine mounts, strut brace etc... the LCR could be a tad twitchy. Good tyres with deep tread helped, but once the going got damp you had to exercise some caution.

The new Leon Cupra has tractability that the LCR just doesn't have. The grip afforded from the new set up is quite a step forward from the LCR, and buys you the ability to use so much more of the power on tap.

And the new 2.0TFSi engine easily maps beyond the 300bhp mark without any significant mods.

I still think the LCR is better looking, but then I prefer it to my S3 from an exterior perspective.

Both are not without their faults, but the Leon Cupra Mk2 is the better starting platform for someone who enjoys modifications.

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
Yep same here, loved my well modded LCR for three yrs but the ease of easily achieving 300bhp+ sold me the 2.0 TFSI.
As Blade said it can embarrass some more expensive to buy and maintain motors on the road.
Take one for a test and see what you think but remember it will be a different car again once mapped!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
go for the mk2 as it will give the mk2 beeza boys more choice when we finally grow up :p

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
I loved my LCR and I still miss it - in terms of looks, they got it so right with that car.

But the Mk2 is something else in terms of handling and the TFSI engine, even in standard form, is a great engine - it's smooth, it delivers power right to the redline and it sounds good doing it.

And I like the Aero kit... :)

Mr Roboto

Domo Arigato
Mar 14, 2005
Sussex
;) hello people im thinking of taking a closer look at the K1 can you people give me or persuade me with why the k1 is better than the lcr mk1 ????????:shrug:

and yes my lcr is remapped to 265bhp[B)]

(in other words sell the LCR)

Have a test drive and you will want one!

Have to say I am getting more tempted every time I see one!

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Its the natural progression and im glad to say the mk2 its a step in the right direction , sure there is some penny pinching like no hydraulic bonnett lifter , or lights on warning buzzer , but its been replaced with other things , lights coming home feature , tyre pressure warning , bluetooth (optional) but a must.

The handling is a great step up , the ride is comfortable but sporty , brakes are great.

The thing is it also means that you can carry on modifying same as you did with the mk1 but you get more reward for your ££££££££'s

SO YES you should go for it , my car still gets that exculsive look where i go , because it just says CUPRA on the back people who dont know wont know what you are driving.

Afew people have said to me , i thought you drive a LEON?

lol lol that says it all.

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
wow those comments i have taken onboard,and im thinking of a white a k1 black wheels.
i have a mate with a evo running 400 hhp!! and i would love to see his face when he sees me in a k1,he says my lcr scares him when i come up behind him (think he is taking the pee) stick with him till the ton mark thens he s gone.so i think the k1 will do the job .....

only problem is funds.... if i sell my lcr for 7K my max budet is £13 k so i either find a cupra mk2 with the btcc kit .. factory fitted or dealer fitted!! or i go down the road of the new cupra new from the show room? (hp) any ideas of k1 prices think qroud 16k ?????????????????

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Well there's a really nice k1 sat on a container ship currently in the English channel.... (sorry folks I will get over it eventually). If you look on autotrader and/or approved SEAT site there are a few kicking around which you could stretch to.

As a guide, my 08 plate k1 with 7000 on the clock was valued at 17600 after a bit of arguing with the insurers.

I cannot, repeat cannot,recommend the k1 enough.I enjoyed every second of ownership of that car. It turned heads, it performed, it was beautiful. On top of that it was practical and surprisingly cheap to run. I have something completely different on order to replace mine but I keep asking myself if I made the right choice.

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
Well there's a really nice k1 sat on a container ship currently in the English channel.... (sorry folks I will get over it eventually). If you look on autotrader and/or approved SEAT site there are a few kicking around which you could stretch to.

As a guide, my 08 plate k1 with 7000 on the clock was valued at 17600 after a bit of arguing with the insurers.

I cannot, repeat cannot,recommend the k1 enough.I enjoyed every second of ownership of that car. It turned heads, it performed, it was beautiful. On top of that it was practical and surprisingly cheap to run. I have something completely different on order to replace mine but I keep asking myself if I made the right choice.

thanks that helps.... what happend to your k1 ie the channel?:D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.