Formentor front suspension (DCC) noise or clunks over speed bumps identified

CupForm

Aug 26, 2023
Bucharest, RO
I checked the points I could check on my own - such as the engine hood hinges and locking points, but I didn't visit the dealership for that. It is a bit far from me, I need to allocate some time for that, and I'm not at all impressed with the attitude of the service team.
I'll ask them to check all the front part when I'll go for the oil change in 2 months time.

Reactions: AntoniosL
Jul 7, 2024
Hi! I am sending a small update regarding problems with the DCC suspension rumbling on the right front. As we already know, it is the fault of the valve in the shock absorber - after disconnecting the plug with the electric cable to the DCC shock absorber, all noises and rumbling disappear. So, under warranty, I have two front shock absorbers replaced in my Cupra Leon. It's much quieter, although it's not perfect. First of all, there is no rumble, only light knocks that appear sporadically. The warranty included shock absorbers (from the Audi A3) in three versions, depending on the drive and body type: 5WA 413032R - station wagon version with 4-drive drive, 5WA 413032M - hatchback with front drive, 5WA 413032E - station wagon version with front drive. At the moment, the manufacturer has announced TPI, which unfortunately does not bring anything specific except that service centers will probably not be able to replace these shock absorbers, because it is a temporary solution, and the manufacturer is working on the final one, which is not known when it will be available 😉 Judging by what is happening currently in the new Passat and Superb, which have DCC+ with two-valve shock absorbers, and there are also huge noise problems, I wouldn't expect a quick response. I also wonder what shock absorbers the facelifted Cupra models will have, but this will only be known during the summer, when the first units will appear.

Reactions: spezwend
Jul 4, 2024
Pull the fuse #47 and let us know. Do you know where they added grease?

View attachment 43147 View attachment 43146
I tried it and to be honest it was not clear for me that there was a difference. The clunking comes after I have driven for long time. And I shortly took the fuse of.

Below you see how they greased it. They used the product with part code G000405A2
334d409d-9342-45d4-ba38-5432c60789f1.JPG

Reactions: spezwend

spezwend

Jun 23, 2023
I checked the points I could check on my own - such as the engine hood hinges and locking points...
I had to turn these bonnet rubber mounts (or what they are called) counterclockwise to stop bonnet rattle. They did not touch the frame in normal position and was able to push the bonnet inward about 5-10mm.

spezwend

Jun 23, 2023
We had warmer days above 24 degrees out side and the rattle got much more worse. But in the winter when it was -20 degrees there were almost no rattle. So in the shock absorbers, the oil is thinner when it's warm and thicker when it's cold.

Apr 8, 2024
So glad that this problem has been identified and posted. I have a VZ2, 310 (June 23) with exactly this problem and it really spoils what is an excellent car and quite a Beast in Cupra mode! I bought this as a used vehicle a couple of months ago and noticed a knocking noise from the front nearside suspension after just a couple days, mainly over uneven surfaces almost like something is loose on the suspension. It doesn’t matter what suspension mode it’s in or how long it’s been driven for. I’ve taken the vehicle back to the original dealer and the technician could hear the problem after a quick test drive, they then re-greased some suspension parts (on a VW recommendation) as it was also creaking on lock to lock when stationary, but this re-grease made no difference to the knocking noise! The front offside makes no noise regardless of the road surface, speed bumps etc. The vehicle I traded in for this Formentor was over 16 years old and never made any sound like this!! I’m also not confident that the dealer really understands the issue and it really shouldn’t happen on a relatively new vehicle.

As suggested I will try removing the plug or fuse from the affected suspension unit and report back….

GringAddict

Dec 22, 2023
Manchester, UK
Exactly the same behavior on mine, however I have the non-VZ PHEV, without DCC. At low speed on bad roads, or on those covered with stone, or when going over tram rails over city crossroads, at less than 20 km/h I feel/hear the front subframe of the car is falling apart. With several different cars (not to mention cheaper and older than this one) there's no alarming noise driving on the very same roads - so I'm sure that's not normal. Too bad we have a crossover that's quiet only when driven over mint condition asphalt!
BTW, the noises I'm hearing are not coming from the shock absorbers - I know how that's supposed to sound.
Same here 3k miles and I’m starting to hate the thing. I came from X5 and thought I’d do the sensible thing, knew there would be a few trade offs with the car but wow. Ride is terrible, rattles, bangs, gearbox is shite generally does the opposite to what you’d want it to do, engine is sluggish torque is limited so much in 1st that it’s like low range. Infotainment is crap, didn’t get option for upgraded speakers was told they are stock so my sound is crap too. All that and it’s just doing my head in now. Going back to bmw soon.

GringAddict

Dec 22, 2023
Manchester, UK
Same here 3k miles and I’m starting to hate the thing. I came from X5 and thought I’d do the sensible thing, knew there would be a few trade offs with the car but wow. Ride is terrible, rattles, bangs, gearbox is shite generally does the opposite to what you’d want it to do, engine is sluggish torque is limited so much in 1st that it’s like low range. Infotainment is crap, didn’t get option for upgraded speakers was told they are stock so my sound is crap too. All that and it’s just doing my head in now. Going back to bmw soon.
Oh on top of that car came and steering wasn’t straight. Off centre slightly and all over the place on the motorway cupra wouldn’t fix it had to pay for that to be done so yeah… no chance I’m spending money on shocks, springs, speakers, sub, intake, map etc etc. Bye bye ateca.

Aug 7, 2024
We had warmer days above 24 degrees out side and the rattle got much more worse. But in the winter when it was -20 degrees there were almost no rattle. So in the shock absorbers, the oil is thinner when it's warm and thicker when it's cold.
Hello, I have the same noise of the shock absorbers, for me it is such disturbing that it has to be solved as quick as possible. I am a person who is really sensitive for unwanted noises especially in the car and this rattling simply destroys the driving experience. So I am wondering that whether is a shock absorber exists from other manufacturer (Bilstein, KW, Koni, etc,) which could be installed instead of this poor Monroe? I've tried to find replacement part in (Hungarian) car spare part websites but I only found absorber which is for Formentor without DCC.

spezwend

Jun 23, 2023
I haven't found other than Monroe. Some time ago they took them down from the e-parts catalogue. I'm thinking installing Bilstein or Koni shocks but then there is DCC error on IC.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise