Falken FK452's (Leon FR)

ChrisGTL

'Awesome' LCR225
Nov 17, 2007
Huddersfield
I can't believe Falken have stopped the 452's - they were a massive seller and had become very well known to motorists.

I hope the 912's are as good!!

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
If the 452's replaced the 912's, my only option is to buy the KU31's then. Just preferred the 452's given what people have said about them.

So... need to research KU31's or find a cheap tyre fitter and tracker in Milton Keynes now.

Stanhope

If the 452's replaced the 912's, my only option is to buy the KU31's then. Just preferred the 452's given what people have said about them.

So... need to research KU31's or find a cheap tyre fitter and tracker in Milton Keynes now.

Have you tried The Garage in Wolverton? Did me a good deal on some 452's

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
The 912's have NOT replaced the 452's and Falken have not stopped making the 452's. The 452's are still their flagship performance tyre for the road according the their website.

The 912's are an asymmetric tyre which is basically for all weather. 912's on the TDI are pretty good from what I have heard (unclefester) so I am sure you will be pleased with them Merc. Don't discount the F1s however as you know different cars, different weights, speed, weight distribution, side wall strength all effect tyre wear. Just because they burned on the Punto doesn't mean they will burn on the Leon. I had a set for 7k and they still had over 50% left on them before I changed the 17's for 18's.

My last set of 452s lasted 9-10k although the bigger turbo did kill them. I went through a similar process to you are going through and opted for Toyo t1-Rs as I wanted good grip no matter what. I only do 5k a year so they were perfect for me. I also noticed the toyo's got a much stronger side wall and take bumps much better.

If I was you I would seriously consider the Hankook Evo 12s as they got amazing reviews from the german magazines rating them as high as the asymmetric f1's with much better wear. I am get to try these but from what people have said they are every bit as good as the falkens. Dont discount the 912's either.

There must be good tyre fitters around MK!!!???

mr_merc

Oct 22, 2008
Haven't tried the garage in wolverton but will do.

@ jon: ahhhhhhh! Thank you for the advice but so much to think about now, lol! Will have a nose for the hankooks but if I can get the 452's then I will

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
Interestingly the evo 12s on black circles are as expensive as f1's!

Are you sure? I've just brought 4 Hankooks on Monday from blackcircles for £88 a corner and F1's were £113 - fully fitted prices.

I've now covered 30 miles on the Hankook's and they are already giving excellent grip (and it was damp/raining). Initial impressions are that they will be very good.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Can't really help here other than get the tyres you want fitted and not just a substitute because of some lame excuse. You want 452's, then get them ordered and fit them independently. You will find somewhere that'll do them but it will almost certainly be an independent.

I have an excellent relationship with my local independent who usually charge a bit less than Blackcircles do delivered as a fitted price. There are no monkey's there and have never had a damaged alloy. I've been going there for a good 15 years now.

They are based in Huntingdon which is now a 35-40 minute drive from MK with the Bedford bypass in, so just over a gallon of diesel and a bit of time.

Although I trust them with the prices, I always double check with Blackcircles just to be sure. The last two sets of tyres (B/Stone Sport Contact 2 - Seat - were about £9 per tyre fitted cheaper than BlackCircles could manage delivered, and the F1's for the Honda were about £3 per tyre cheaper fitted).

As they say with investments, past performance is no guide to future results, but they may be worth a call and a trip.

If you want their number them PM me.

GrahameS

Oct 4, 2003
Coventry
Visit site
Don't know if you've found somewhere to get them fitted yet, but when i was looking i went on black circles and went all the way through the buying process until it asked me to select a fitting centre. When you put your postcode in it gives a list of local fitting centre addresses (but not the names), but i then found those tyre places on yell.com and phoned them directly for fitting costs. In the end I got mine fitted at a black circles approved centre for £9 a tyre, instead of the £15 it costs with black circles..

Oct 17, 2006
northwest
not the same car or tyre size (mines 205/55/16) but I had the Flaken 452's all round and they lasted 22k on the front, I then replaced these with the 912's(which were 6 quid cheaper per tyre) which I have to say are pretty much the same except the tyre wear seems to be better.

I had KU31's the supra's and then SPT's on mine when i got the car and both were pants especially the supra's it was forever in TCS when slightly damp, the SPT's weren't much better and they both wore badly and lasted 8-10K(first year of owning the car so who knows?).

good luck
Allan

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.