falken 452's, GSD3's or the new asymetricals?

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
i drive a mix, but mainly a 60mile commute to work every day and due to rip-off derv prices a reasonable 60 on a and 80 on dual carriage way with 46mpg.
like to thrash once in a while, but since i nearly killed myself once before not so stupid to try again..................

had yoko on last car and yes grip was bloody good as soft, but spend fortune replacing too often and can't afford that now.

Jan 22, 2007
thank you sir, that is the advice i like from this place.
people who know and shout it out.

will look for good prices now and get a pair ordered in the next week or so and see what happens.

Jan 22, 2007
seen that kez, but i can also get done cheap through work and fitted by mobile mine all in one swoop. just need to get a price on monday.
a quick google and other sites and seem to be on average about tenner cheaper.

Deleted member 7729

I'm trying to time getting these with the 4 wheel refirb i'm planning

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
I'm planning on buying new 18" rims next month and i have the option to upgrade to Falkens for £50 extra. Am i right in thinking that these tyres dont have a rim protector on them? Dont want the missus to kill my new rims straight away :(

Well the Falkens on Mytyres.co.uk do have rim protection:
FK-452 225/45 ZR17 94Y RFD with rim protection
Camskill are cheaper but don't state whether they have rim protection:
FK 452 - 225/45R17 94Y XL

nice thread to read through.
having to get x2 new for the rear as low on tread and leaking valves to boot...

Just so many to choose from makes it difficult.
The Falken 452 seem to be a fair balance of grip in wet & dry and price.
How long are they generally good for? noticed that gavinchappell mentioned he can 15k from them. Is this good? average? or bad?
Which others will last as long? or longer?

Thanks

Reckon I'll get 10k out of my fronts (did 4k in 8 months on the rear then switched them Aug 07) I'll be looking for a new pair in a couple of months, my daily commute is (moderately) fast, twisty lanes so I'm pretty pleased with that, as you said they have a good balance of wet/dry performance, wear and vfm.

Last edited:

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Just ordered four Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta for my new rims. I had the normal Ultrac's on my old Cupra R and was very impressed with their wet and dry performance and they were ok on the track too.

I know they are not a commonly well known make, and they are certainly no cheaper, they are probably almost as expensive as Goodyears. But they look very good as well as good performers, so I decided to get these new higher performance Sessanta's they have introduced for my new wheels.

Got them from Camskills £128 a corner for 225/35/19's

FK 452's I considered too based on the overall good feedback they have got and their vfm, but call me shallow I just liked the look of this Vredestein tyre and my prior good experience with the brand.

blimey, try asking for them when your drunk....(not literally off course..:doh:)

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff

Nick

Did you find out if these were the same tyre?

there is a massive price difference.
anyone else care to comment?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007

Reckon I'll get 10k out of my fronts (did 4k in 8 months on the rear then switched them Aug 07) I'll be looking for a new pair in a couple of months, my daily commute is (moderately) fast, twisty lanes so I'm pretty pleased with that, as you said they have a good balance of wet/dry performance, wear and vfm.

Cheers for the info mate. I'm going to ring camskill monday to find out.

I'll keep you posted.

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
Nick

Did you find out if these were the same tyre?

there is a massive price difference.
anyone else care to comment?

Haven't actually got my finger out to ring Camskill as yet, looks like Sheffboy's gonna save me the trouble so I'll wait and see what he turns up!

On further research it looks like the RFD suffix on the Mytyres description stands for Reinforced which are also referred to as XL so there's a chance they both have rim protection.

Jan 22, 2007
Well i've ordered mine and am now awaiting delivery with baited breath and then off to get them fitted during a lunchbreak, should i be privileged enough to get one this week..........

Did anybody discover if they have rim protection or not?

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
here we go:

-------------------------------

Yes they have

Kindest regards
Brian

----------------------

Dear Camskill

Could you please confirm if these tyres have rim protection

----------------------

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2007
here we go:

-------------------------------

Yes they have

Kindest regards
Brian

Sent: 07 April 2008 15:00
Subject: Re: FK 452 - 225/45R17 94Y XL

Dear Camskill

There are quite a few people on a forum wanting to know this, and maybe going to Mytyres.co.uk to buy these.
Forum post:
"The Falkens on Mytyres.co.uk do have rim protection:

Camskill are a little cheaper but don't state whether they have rim protection:
FK 452 - 225/45R17 94Y XL"

not sure exactly what that clarifies, but i'm guessing that those from camskill do not have rim protection.

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
I've edited my response to make it clear, but he said they do come with rim protection

however, i've noticed from what i pasted i've asked about the 17" wheels, and not the 18" ones for my R

doh!
i'll send another email

NickT

Mar 29, 2004
LB, Beds
I think you'll find they do, it's kind of in the format of an email chain but you need to read it in reverse, I think it should read like this:

Dear Camskill

There are quite a few people on a forum wanting to know this, and maybe going to Mytyres.co.uk to buy these.
Forum post:
"The Falkens on Mytyres.co.uk do have rim protection:

Camskill are a little cheaper but don't state whether they have rim protection:
FK 452 - 225/45R17 94Y XL"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 07 April 2008 15:00
Subject: Re: FK 452 - 225/45R17 94Y XL

Yes they have

Kindest regards
Brian

Last edited:

m.r.davies

God's Property
Jun 13, 2006
Cardiff
yeah sorry, should have done that!

anyway, i've emailed them about the 18/225/40 ones for the LCR, and they DO have rim protection

I also asked for a forum discount but they said NO, ah well, cheapest on the net anyway!

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2007
Cheers
NickT for the english in this &
m.rdavies for actually asking them.

no offence but i have 17" and am pleased you asked. just need them to arrive as am running low on air and tread now no doubt.

Mine have arrived at home, so hopefully fitted tomorrow before weather gets to bad.
will right what i think, if i notice any difference!!

Last edited: