falken 452's, GSD3's or the new asymetricals?

LCR64

I m just the cook.
Mar 24, 2006
GSD3s

After having the Pzeros on from new and just changing to the GSD3s you would think the Pzeros were the bargain basement tyre. Levels of grip of the F1s are in a different league, wet and dry.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
Been running GSD3s for the last few years, been really impressed with the wet and dry performance from day one. Just waiting for these to wear out then I'll give the asymmetrics a shot.

Tried the FK452s as a front pair and couldn't fault them, plenty of grip and good wet performance too..... Guess its just down to what you fancy on the day! I've heard really good things about the asymmetrical F1s, hope they live up to the hype. :)

[RSms]RS

RS Motorsport Team
Tyres, tyres, tyres.....

I need to get some tyres for the front of my LCR and what with a new baby on the way just can't afford the Pirelli's anymore (Also I don't want another tyre that wears out just by looking at it :( like the Pirelli's seem too) so I need some help with what tyres are good and bad.....

I will start it off with the cheapest I have found locally.

Sumo 225/40 R 18 92 W - £68.50 inc vat fitted.....

Are these any good at all, I don't need them to be fantastic but I also don't want to kill my wife and child when it rains.

I don't mind paying a bit more but I don't want to pay £125 a tyre....

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Had P6000s from new, hated them. Changed for a set of F1 Asymmetric, hell turns to heaven. My opinion here:

Eagle F1's GSD 3's

Note I've said I bought Asymmetrics, although the topic was on GSD3

There was a discount on them, for there was just one set of four left at the shop. The sidewall reads "Made in Germany". Discount price was slightly below 100 EUR/tyre, plus labor

~Nautilus

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I'm planning on buying new 18" rims next month and i have the option to upgrade to Falkens for £50 extra. Am i right in thinking that these tyres dont have a rim protector on them? Dont want the missus to kill my new rims straight away :(

[RSms]RS

RS Motorsport Team
I have looked into the Flaken 452's and I have found them locally for £89 inc vat fitted and only 3 miles from my house.

I think that is a pretty good price, they are cheaper on Camskill but by the time I have had them delivered and got them fitted the price is going to be much the same....

Thanks for all your help :thumbup:

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
I am going for 2 new back tyres in the next few weeks and I am going for the Goodyear Eagle F1A. I have heard good reviews about these and want to try them. Also for £100 a pop each incl fitting at my local garage I think this is a good price and not much more than the Falkens.

On a tangent - why is it when I post up a thread about tyres for the LCR this gets moved to the general section when no-one replies??? Having read this thread, this is what I wanted to know!

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent
Just ordered four Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta for my new rims. I had the normal Ultrac's on my old Cupra R and was very impressed with their wet and dry performance and they were ok on the track too.

I know they are not a commonly well known make, and they are certainly no cheaper, they are probably almost as expensive as Goodyears. But they look very good as well as good performers, so I decided to get these new higher performance Sessanta's they have introduced for my new wheels.

Got them from Camskills £128 a corner for 225/35/19's

FK 452's I considered too based on the overall good feedback they have got and their vfm, but call me shallow I just liked the look of this Vredestein tyre and my prior good experience with the brand.

Zee - I think I'm as vain as you, cos them's some sexy looking tyres.

12403-12643-full--758.jpg

I'm at the tail end of the life of my GSD3's, and altho they've been excellent, I've lost a little faith in them during the inclement weather of recent.

They dont like the cold too much, once they've warmed up they're not so bad, but i've been suffering a fair bit of understeer, which is not the most pleasant feeling :blink:

Did conside the 452's, but having read all I can about the Sessanta's they seem to be mustard!

vandyer

Best Tyres?

Hi All,

I've done the usual and searched the forum, but cant find any previous thread...

I'm about to change my tyres, should i replace for the Pirelli P Zero Nero or should i consider somthing else?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tony

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
Nah not P zeros mate..

Get Goodyear Asimetrics. I just got some there very grippy.. Loverly.. I paid £112 Per Corner

yeh Dmmsta they are sexy :)

Deleted member 7729

I'm trying the Falken's this time round after using the Michelin PS2s on my 17" LC rims. Just got some LCR rims with P-Zeros on them.

[RSms]RS

RS Motorsport Team
I finally went for the Falken 452's and I must say that I agree with Kez they are WAAAAY better than the P Zeros in every way especially in the wet. They are a bit noisier but you have to turn the stereo off to hear them ;)

I would also add that they have a very gradual drop off in grip which gives great confidence when pushing the car hard.

Thanks guys for all your help :thumbup:

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
nice thread to read through.
having to get x2 new for the rear as low on tread and leaking valves to boot...

Just so many to choose from makes it difficult.
The Falken 452 seem to be a fair balance of grip in wet & dry and price.
How long are they generally good for? noticed that gavinchappell mentioned he can 15k from them. Is this good? average? or bad?
Which others will last as long? or longer?

Thanks

Skorchio

600 Miles to a tank :)
Jan 23, 2007
Nr Milton Keynes
lol 15k is amazing.. i got 8k from my last set of tryes.. these asemetrics i recon will be 6k ish.. there very soft :) Love it :) If you like to drive fast get grippy tyres.. all the money spent on suspentiopn and ARBs is nothing without good grip on the tyres :)