DCC Suspension retrofit (except not really)

Sep 27, 2024
Hi folks, previous member from many years ago back again.

I have a 2016 Leon SC FR 2.0 TDI DSG and it could do with some new front shocks. A friend of mine has just replaced his entire suspension set up with aftermarket stuff on his Cupra.

He's offering me the OEM lot (front shocks, rear shocks, front springs, rear springs, ARB drop links) for a VERY good price. Came off a car with less than 10k miles on it so it's a bargain.

However, despite furious Googling and searching the forum high and low I can't find any real answers to my question, which is - if I fit DCC shocks, to a non-DCC car (I'm well aware DCC wont work due to no controller, cables, sensors etc) how will the 'adaptive' shocks function in a non adaptive state? Do they have a default state, are they stiff, are they soft? Is there any manual mechanical adjustment possible if so? My understanding is the electrical component attached to the shocks sends voltage to restrict or improve fluid flow, so that would imply they aren't electronic/have any sort of microprocessor/smart.

Thanks in advance!

ViperSlider

Mar 26, 2024
Cardiff, S.Wales
From the DCC training manual:

"In “Fail Safe” mode, the shock absorbers are not powered and the vehicle behaves as if fitted with conventional shock absorbers. The armature moves together with the push rod and pressure head to the right until it rests against the valve housing. The control piston also moves and closes the direct access to the ring gap. The oil now opens the fail-safe valve and flows via the control channel to the shock absorber."

So it will just act like a normal shock but won't be weighted specifically for your axle load so you might have negative driving experiences.

Reactions: cairus
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.