Retrofit high-beam assist on a Cupra 290?

cairus

Jun 4, 2024
Yes, I mean the camera in the windshield. Retrofit it yourself? The cable set for that costs around €30 on AliExpress. Camera between €100-200. Covers for small parts etc. around €50. Of course I did everything myself, including the coding. The windshield was paid for by the insurance company after a stone chip, and the one with the camera mount was even cheaper than my original one. I didn't mean anything bad about the color code, but because the color code was there I thought I'd just say it.

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Oh i see what you mean now, all that sounds very good, but that work is probably slightly above my competence 😂
I can probably manage the mirror swap myself however !!

Do you have any links for AliExpress for the CAN cable set that I need for the HBA mirror.
I can get one from Kufatec but its like £100 with shipping to the UK which is alot for a cable :(

cairus

Jun 4, 2024
Practice makes perfect. If it was in a 2018 Octavia 3, why shouldn't it work?

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
So I have ordered all the pieces that I think I will need.
I ordered mirror 57A857511SMS (Grey bezel) as it was only £80 and great condition. I ordered a spare mirror with Black bezel 3G085511E9B9 £15 ebay, which is same as one I already have in the car, with the aim to swap with the Grey bezel if I can do that without breaking it. Otherwise i'll just paint the Gray bezel Black.

Ordered:
Can Cable 20AWG/0.5mm2
Tesa cloth tape
Pins 000979034E for the mirror.
Pins N90764701 for the BCM (Found these in these video)
Don't know if i'll need/use these pins, but im not good at soldering so i aim to release the pins needed and crimp together and then hopefully re-pin, so ordered tham anyway,

I just need to work out where I'm going to connect to the CAN.
As I have a RHD car I dont know where is best/easiest to do it !!

Last edited:

cairus

Jun 4, 2024
Why BCM? The coupling point is probably behind the hood release. Solder there. Be careful, when you install the flat mirror you have to re-pin your current connector.

przebiegly

Sep 4, 2021
Poland
So i’m going to be attempting this install 2mrw.
Hope it works out 🥴

One thing if anyone can help, ive not found it obvious what pins are which in the mirror plug.

CAN H is pin 3, currently reversing wire.
What colour is that wire so i pick correct wire to pull ?

Also which is pin 8 for CAN L ?

Are they labelled up anywhere3 & 8 can l

So i’m going to be attempting this install 2mrw.
Hope it works out 🥴

One thing if anyone can help, ive not found it obvious what pins are which in the mirror plug.

CAN H is pin 3, currently reversing wire.
What colour is that wire so i pick correct wire to pull ?

Also which is pin 8 for CAN L ?

Are they labelled up anywhere ?
Yes 3 & 8

Attachments

• kkAAAgEKh-A-1920.jpg
    kkAAAgEKh-A-1920.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: Slickric21

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
Any tips for getting these pins out without damaging the connection block ?

edit: below post worked

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpeg
    IMG_2634.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

cairus

Jun 4, 2024
Why don't they cut off the 2 wires and solder them together with the 2 new wires? First put shrink tubing over the wires. The part number is usually always on the plug.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Unfortunately I've ****** the connection block.
The pins i need to remove are the most difficult and you cant get anyting in to release the catch on the pin, as the purple release mechanism is in the way and the tabs on the pins are hidden facing into the block.
Almost any other pin i can release easy 😞

I’ll have to give up.

Only option now is to order a new White block and remove all pins and re pin it all out with a new block

Can anyone help me with the part number for this connection block ?

Check this, looks like it but not sure.

o12

Sep 13, 2024
you can also change the mirror to one with a built-in camera of the high beam assistant from Golf VII > 3G0857511AE (frameless with assistant) cover no 3G0858548A
you only make a CAN cable for it, encode and it works
Is this possible also for -13 leon 5f without MIB unit? It has though RLHS sensor w auto wipes

cairus

Jun 4, 2024
the system does not require a mib unit. Steering column switch is momentary? bcm control unit is also important

przebiegly

Sep 4, 2021
Poland
theoretically yes, you need to check if bcm has functions responsible for HBA

in the car settings which are accessible via MIB there is simply an assistant option to turn it off or on which is enabled by default after coding so without MIB it should work

another matter what does without MIB mean? :D did you change the radio unit?

o12

Sep 13, 2024
the system does not require a mib unit. Steering column switch is momentary? bcm control unit is also important
I think so? Ordinary switch with cruise control on/off switch. No separate switches. Also has auto lights.
theoretically yes, you need to check if bcm has functions responsible for HBA

in the car settings which are accessible via MIB there is simply an assistant option to turn it off or on which is enabled by default after coding so without MIB it should work

another matter what does without MIB mean? :D did you change the radio unit?
I have thought MIB unit is that separate module in the glovebox which allows separate display and a ton of other features and other possible retrofits 🤣 I have just basic 6 button radio with bluetooh and touch screen. It think basically mib is integrated to that..?

So if vcds gives me some options/codings/adaptation suggestions for hba installation etc. then it could be possible for to do this. So I guess on the radios car setups it will appear after coding. Is there any versions or number series requirements for bcm which supports hba?

przebiegly

Sep 4, 2021
Poland
Compare coding from screenshots with available coding options in your bcm. If possible to code in than this should be work

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.