Windscreen wiper paint

Jul 31, 2024
Hi,

Newbie here. I thought this might be the best place to ask for some advice. I got a Leon Cupra 300 last year, love it to bits but I've noticed some of the paint has started peeling off the Wipers on the passenger side. I didn't notice it when I bought it, though I think it must have always been there.

Its not worth the cost of a new wiper arm (Unless scrap yard maybe, not sure of cost) but I was wondering what paint I could/should use just to touch it up a bit. Whilst I know it won't look like a Pro job, it would improve it to how it looks now.

I dont know what kind of paint to use on that metal, any old black paint do? Any advice welcome and I've attached a picture of it so you can see.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_20240729_085244.jpg
    IMG_20240729_085244.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 62

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
In Sweden we don't have the same brands as you, but I would take any matt black from a brand you know in a spray can. You don't need to spray it, just spray a little on the lid, (let it dry then it will be thicker) and brush on if it feels better.

Don't buy "Dip vinyl colour" since it's more for temporary use.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
How about using a Satin Black, Hammerite sell that and just carefully brush paint it using many coats of as little paint as you can - or just buy a spray can version of any Satin Black, most of these black painted parts have a satin finish and not gloss - in my mind gloss would make it look a bit nasty.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Following - got exactly the same issue in the same place on both wipers on my 19 plate
The same issue on our 2018 ST. I've got a rattlecan of satin black in the garage; just not had a chance to do it. For a proper job the wiper arms need to come off.

Reactions: jim_bob64
Jul 31, 2024
Thank you everyone for their replies. Now I kinda know what to look out for as I didn't know if any generic black metal paint would do but I will look for a Satin black in either spray or brush.

Many thanks

Jul 31, 2024
I got the paint can, thanks but is there anything else I should before taking the arm off to paint? Like it needs to be positioned straight to get the same coverage on the windscreen etc and is it just the one bolt?

I just don't want to cause more problems for myself, thanks.

DaveS

Jan 23, 2022
There must be something about the way they paint them. My 2014 FR has exactly the same defect on the driver side arm only.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
As regards getting the arm back on in the correct point, take a picture before you remove it - with the wipers off and parked.

I've forgotten, but you might find enough of a space to paint a line across the top of the arm recess and the shaft to guide you, I tend to keep a yellow paint pencil for jobs like that - and torqueing "torque to yield" bolts.

You might even be able to improve the parking position - I had to do that on my wife's 2015 VW Polo after it was driven home, just over 9 years later, that improved/now correct position is still good/perfect.

Edit:- or stick tape to a point along the arm before you remove it, and take a vertical measurement and record it!

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I got the paint can, thanks but is there anything else I should before taking the arm off to paint? Like it needs to be positioned straight to get the same coverage on the windscreen etc and is it just the one bolt?

I just don't want to cause more problems for myself, thanks.
Probably best to get your self a small puller if you don't already have one - wiper arms can often need a bit of help pulling them off.

Something like this:
1724233064494.png

Jul 31, 2024
I didn't realise it would be so difficult to get off, why would they make it so hard? Is it that hard to get back on, having second thoughts now lol.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I didn't realise it would be so difficult to get off, why would they make it so hard? Is it that hard to get back on, having second thoughts now lol.
It's not hard - if you have one of the small cheap pullers mentioned above.
There is no where sturdy to lever using screwdrivers if it won't pull off by hand - you could take the nut off and give it a wiggle to see it it will come off? if not get the puller.
They are on a splined shaft and can be a little tight with years of corrosion.
Getting it back on is easy as the nut pulls it down - just need to make sure its aligned correctly.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise