• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

Limp mode, glow plug light flashing and black smoke.

Jun 27, 2024
Hi all, i've had my MK3 Leon for a year. Been absolutely brilliant until last week.

Driving down M1, the car goes into limp mode, glow plug light flashing and pouring out black smoke

Plugged it in. Came up with 2 faults (Turbo overboost) & (Turbo underboost)

Anyone have an idea what it is? I thought it could be the turbo actuator but just seeing what others think. Thanks

Sham

Sep 15, 2023
Hi all, i've had my MK3 Leon for a year. Been absolutely brilliant until last week.

Driving down M1, the car goes into limp mode, glow plug light flashing and pouring out black smoke

Plugged it in. Came up with 2 faults (Turbo overboost) & (Turbo underboost)

Anyone have an idea what it is? I thought it could be the turbo actuator but just seeing what others think. Thanks
Hi I had the exact same issue on my 1.6tdi 2015 on the m1 aswell lol! Was doing over 80 and even went upto 110 no problems but on way back the glow plug light started flashing and lost a bit of power. Made it back home and the next day when I started it it was fine no issues or lights and when I plugged in an OBD2 I got these screen grabs I’m posting

Attachments

• IMG_0240.png
    IMG_0240.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1470.png
    IMG_1470.png
    85.7 KB · Views: 56
Jun 27, 2024
Hi I had the exact same issue on my 1.6tdi 2015 on the m1 aswell lol! Was doing over 80 and even went upto 110 no problems but on way back the glow plug light started flashing and lost a bit of power. Made it back home and the next day when I started it it was fine no issues or lights and when I plugged in an OBD2 I got these screen grabs I’m posting
Yeah mine is the same. Changed the turbo actuator myself. Turns out it's not that. Took it to mechanic he's taken the turbo out and sent it off for inspection to see what it is...if it needs servicing or replaced

Sham

Sep 15, 2023
Yeah mine is the same. Changed the turbo actuator myself. Turns out it's not that. Took it to mechanic he's taken the turbo out and sent it off for inspection to see what it is...if it needs servicing or replaced
Mine has been gone into limp mode since last night I know because it don’t go over 2000rpm and has loss of power also plume of black smoke was coming out at one point but no warning or EML light has come on the dash. Coolant temp is constant but engine oil goes over 90 and upto 105 after 10/15 mins driving.

Sham

Sep 15, 2023
Mine has been gone into limp mode since last night I know because it don’t go over 2000rpm and has loss of power also plume of black smoke was coming out at one point but no warning or EML light has come on the dash. Coolant temp is constant but engine oil goes over 90 and upto 105 after 10/15 mins driving.
Did have a a flashing glow
Plug light other day briefly stopped and restarted went away. I know that not the solution but I did have plugs 2 and 4 changed during my service as they was throwing up codes previously

Jun 27, 2024
Did have a a flashing glow
Plug light other day briefly stopped and restarted went away. I know that not the solution but I did have plugs 2 and 4 changed during my service as they was throwing up codes previously
Yeah it was flashing, the mechanic cleared the code and it's been fine since apart black smoke