Sport feels quicker than Cupra

Jul 19, 2022
Hi there!
New owner of a 2015 Cupra 280.
I have read the other topics on Modes and how everyone else feels the difference between Sport and Cupra.

I feel it the other way around:
Sport mode feels sharper and much quicker to deliver.
Cupra mode feels sluggish, I can feel the car straining, sound and all, but it kinda fails to kick my back with the seat as the Sport mode does.

Now, the previous owner mentioned that some chip-tuning was made to the car (no paperwork to prove it and was very evasive about it), hence my question:
- could it be that the software tune-up affects just the normal modes, Comfort and Sport and not the Cupra?

Thank you!

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I have the exact same car, 2015 reg 280. Depends what tune he had done, but it shouldn’t restrict Cupra mode. My stage 1 tune increased performance of all modes, even comfort. Is your soundaktor still on? This will be making the car sound more aggressive in Cupra mode, but performance won’t match the sound fed through the speakers as it’s fake sound. Always worth a quick once over at a trusted local garage to see if everything’s working as it should be.

Reactions: ungureanul

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Cupra mode seems sluggish to me at low revs, almost as if there is more turbo lag. I don't know whether these modes actually change the engine tuning but it is something I do feel. Might be just in my head though

Once it's in the high revs I find cupra mode much better, I have got my individual setting to give me all the cupra toys with sports suspension which works for me. Cupra suspension is just too rough unless your on a lovely flat bit of tarmac (well for a middle aged man like me anyway)

Slickric21

Feb 23, 2019
Norfolk
I’ve found that flooring it from at standstill (I’ve got 4Drive) Comfort or Sport Suspension can feel more violent than Cupra as there is more vehicle movement due to softer suspension.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
I’ve found that flooring it from at standstill (I’ve got 4Drive) Comfort or Sport Suspension can feel more violent than Cupra as there is more vehicle movement due to softer suspension.
The joy of 4drive

Flooring it from standstill for me just means a world of smoke and ruined tyres

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members