Air intake mod

ray

Jan 7, 2016
Hot air being sucked in makes very little difference on a turbo car.
It's only going to get made hotter by the turbo.

You only need to worry about IAT after the intercooler.

Are you kidding?

Hot air is less dense, meaning the turbo works harder to produce the same levels of boost, so yeah hotter air will make a difference. Which is why people put so much effort into making cold air intakes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front

Sorry but you are wrong.

Higher intake temp as others have said, means turbo runs harder and therefore hotter.
Combined with the already hot air the turbo heats the air even more.

This means the air going into the intercooler is even hotter still. (Not to mention the rest of the engine and engine bay etc).

The intercooler will bring the temperature down, but the higher the temperature into the intercooler, the higher the temperature out of the intercooler.

So you want colder denser air before the turbo. If it has to go passed the engine, radiator etc that ain’t going to happen.

ChrisM75

May 10, 2019
I have to ask, whats the point of the grate in the first place? Just support for the filter?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand

The cooler the air going into the turbo and then the intercooler, the cooler the air going into the intake manifold. A turbo doesn't have a thermostat.

As for the snow grate removal, I haven't noticed any difference on the butt dyno.
I'll believe it makes a difference on a stock car when I see dyno runs.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
I have to ask, whats the point of the grate in the first place? Just support for the filter?

I suppose:

- Function as a silencer
- Spread out debris evenly over the filter
- Prevent snow to hit the filter
- Prevent rain to hit the filter

/Peter

mindthecap

Nov 27, 2018
I have done the "dremel mod" but when I looked at the air intake path when I had the plastic box off the car, I saw that it doesn't have a clear intake path because front grill has blocked upper part.
Has anyone tried to remove blocked holes from the grill? I imagine that it's blocked because otherwise rain and snow would have direct access to intake. I don't know how sensible it is to remove the blocked holes from daily driven car..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I have done the "dremel mod" but when I looked at the air intake path when I had the plastic box off the car, I saw that it doesn't have a clear intake path because front grill has blocked upper part.
Has anyone tried to remove blocked holes from the grill? I imagine that it's blocked because otherwise rain and snow would have direct access to intake. I don't know how sensible it is to remove the blocked holes from daily driven car..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
I had very similar thoughts to you, but not sure how much extra rubbish would flow through into the intake at that point if it was opened up. You'd probably want to have another foam/mesh type of barrier to ensure only air came through.
It's weird as I'm sure the Golf R has that part of the grill open for the intake.

MatTheMerciless

Feb 16, 2019
I had very similar thoughts to you, but not sure how much extra rubbish would flow through into the intake at that point if it was opened up. You'd probably want to have another foam/mesh type of barrier to ensure only air came through.
It's weird as I'm sure the Golf R has that part of the grill open for the intake.

I’ve removed that part also. It’s a separate piece attached at the back of the badge and runs across the entire front of the intake. A pheasant went through the front grille and tore it up. Had no issues with it so far. There’s water in the air any way. Any time you drive in the rain it gets sucked into the intake. A meth injection kit pumps water and methanol directly into the intake for example.
Fairly sure the golf r intake is completely open all the way across.

Reactions: mealexme
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise