• Welcome to our new sponsor Lecatona, a brand dedicated to enhancing performance for VAG group sports cars, including SEAT, Audi, Volkswagen and Škoda. Specializing in High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP) upgrades.

2nd gear flat spot....

Vag8

Jul 5, 2019
Hi all,
Could anyone up date me on life with the newer version of the the 1.5 150 tsi, how does it drive, what’s the low down grunt like etc...
I have a facelift Fr, one of the early 1.5 130 act engines (68 plate) and as per some of my previous posts it’s below par... and today it did that thing again...:oops:
so I’m in sport mode, with air conditioning in normal mode, I approach a roundabout and coast in in 2nd, doing about 10mph I depress the loud pedal and nothing... just me with the right foot
planted and there’s nothing, revs don’t change, engine tone stays the same nothing for a whole 2 or 3 seconds whilst traffic come towards me... if it’s turbo lag it’s the longest ever, but what it is bloody dangerous!!

I have had the updates etc.. and it hasn’t cured it, my confidence in it isn’t great and I think it’s time, to look for something else.

So could try and push my dealership for a deal for a ready built Fr black or xcellence model with the 150 engine or maybe a golf or a t roc.

or do I consider the new Leon with either the the 1.0, or the 1.5 engine...?

thoughts welcome.

thanks

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
I had this issue with my 17 plate FR too.

Had so many dead spots in the gears it was awful, especially when pulling away from roundabouts. I've just taken delivery of an FR Black Edition with the 1.5 DSG so fortunately haven't got the problem anymore, but it's definitely not just you!

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I approach a roundabout and coast in in 2nd, doing about 10mph I depress the loud pedal and nothing... just me with the right foot planted and there’s nothing, revs don’t change, engine tone stays the same nothing for a whole 2 or 3 seconds whilst traffic come towards me... if it’s turbo lag it’s the longest ever, but what it is bloody dangerous!!
10 mph sounds very low for 2nd. What kind of revs was the engine doing? Sounds like you'd dropped off the bottom of the torque curve.

seatram

Sep 8, 2017
Ilkeston
I had a 1.4TSI 125 67 plate last year, 2nd gear was always my favourite, never had any issues stamping the loud pedal in this gear!

Why do you think there's an issue with the 1.5 and not with the 1.4?

williamxb

Mar 11, 2019
Oxfordshire
I've learnt to just ride the clutch to get some revs going at those speeds. Find that nothing actually happens in second until you get to about 20-30mph! I really can't imagine 2/3 of the displacement will help with the lack of power though.

Apr 19, 2019
Exact same engine 1.5tsi EVO at 130ps. Yep I get it occasionally. Just a really poorly optimised engine I reckon.
Not sure if it's the same on the 150ps.
I've just got a racechip RS which I'm struggling to install but will let you know if it improves the torque and power curve.

Regret going for this engine... only a year and a half left. gulp.

I even complain to SEAT about 6 months into my lease about the engine issues and kangarooing I was getting. Managed to get £500 out of them.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.