Check your aftermarket panel filter

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Ok, so in the process of fitting my 034 shifter cable bushings today, I removed the airbox to gain access and noticed that the hose from the airbox to turbo inlet was quite dusty on the inside. I have Leyo silicone hose to racingline inlet. Being on the clean side of the filter this should be clean with maybe slight trace of oil. On inspecting the airbox I found usual flies, leaves etc on dirty side but traces of the same dust around clean side sealing edge of the filter element. I was running a K&N but swapped it for a Pipercross a couple of months ago after reading about K&Ns being over oiled and it being sucked out under hard power, potentially damaging sensors etc etc. Never gave it a thought at the time as it was the correct filter for the car but now I've compared the K&N to the Pipercross, there is 1mm maybe 1.5mm difference in the thickness of the rubber edge of the filter. I firmly believe engine compartment air was being sucked in past the seal, unfiltered, due to the lid not compressing the seal enough and yes the lid and all hoses were firmly secured. Needless to say I've cleaned it all up and refitted the K&N, just hope it hasn't done any damage to the turbo, time will tell. Posting so anyone running aftermarket filter in OE box is aware of the potential issue and maybe take the opportunity to have a peak at yours, Oh and I would advise not to buy a Pipercross, it doesn't seem to fit properly,!

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Each to their own. Simply posted to make others aware, hopefully this won't turn into another discussion on panel filters vs intakes or the pros/cons of either.......

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I have always been impressed with the quality of Pipercross products (since completing an attachment with Caterham Cars) and have fitted them to all 5 of the 2.0 Ltr MQB VAG cars that I’ve owned.

Just checked mine, and the clean side of the filter and hoses is as clean as a whistle after 18 months/18k miles - no dust or oil residue either.

If it’s a genuine Pipercross filter it has a lifetime warranty - Why not send them photos and ask for a replacement?

Reactions: Mo_86

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Yeah, I've had them before in the past and always thought they were ok. Unfortunately didn't take any photos at the time, but you say about it being genuine though, i thought I got through Amazon but I can't find any record so must have been from somewhere else, maybe it was just a dodgy one. Either way, still think it's 10 mins well spent to check, that if you've changed filtration from standard, make sure it's working properly a 1k or so down the road. Peace of mind if nothing else.

Reactions: black_sheep

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Performance air filters are okay on a naturally aspirated engine however on a turbo you want the best filtration possible. OEM is the only way to go.

Reactions: Butty and Walone

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Ran panel filters on my Ibiza 1.4TDI and Leon FR TDI but then realised that they actually offer no performance gains at all, no noise gains and actually filter a lot less than paper filters.

Especially in the TDI tuning world the amount of PD130/PD150/PD160 shitting turbos after sand etc go into the turbine wheels.

So since I've only ever run paper filters or proper induction kits aka Volkswagen Racing R600.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
I fitted a pipercross element last week. It's on a 1.4 ecotsi and the filter has two holes in it for the airbox lid screws to run though. I noticed that the lid squashed the filter a fair bit when I was doing the screws up. Did yours have this kind of filter or was it just a flat filter with no screws??

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Its a cupra, its just flat, no screws through it. i'll get an oe one back in soon as.

Geraint Thomas

Jun 24, 2019
I see. The FR airbox has 4 clips and then two screws. The clips only hold the lid and then the screws pull it down tight.

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
It has Piper Ross written on it and came in Pipercross box with the usual paperwork, sticker etc. No reason to think not. Oh well, I'll check again in few hundred miles, just to be sure it's not something else.

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Haha, no it defo says pipercross. Thought I corrected that predictive! Damn sausage fongers!

Mo_86

Sep 25, 2023
UK
Thread revival,
Just fitted a pipercross panel filter to my 2L tsi and its about half the thickness of a usual paper filter so the airbox is now half full.
Is this how its supposed to be and how is this emptyness of any benefit?

Mo_86

Sep 25, 2023
UK
IMG_0701.jpeg

Here is the difference, sound wise it hasn't changed much either.