MK3 SEAT Leon CUPRA's owner's register

Which Leon Cupra version do you own?

• Total voters

walshy

Jan 27, 2016
North West, UK
I don’t think it’s going to have all the pops, bangs and crackles any more if the BMW 140i/240i has anything to go by. The OPF seems to have muted it and they’ve mapped out all the fun noises. Removing boxes won’t change that...

It's a massive shame, it's one of the reasons I love the car

Wonder what the implications of removing an OPF would be

Jeggers

Sep 4, 2018
OPF? What are those? I thought it was a GPF (Gasoline Particulate Filter) which was being added?

I agree, I will be annoyed if they get rid of the sounds, they're one of the things I've most been looking forward to after 2 years with a 4 cylinder diesel!

Jeggers

Sep 4, 2018
Also, removing emissions control would probably be illegal and an MOT failure. DPFs in diesel require the DPF to be hollowed out or bypassed/removed and the ECU programmed not to try and regenerate the DPF anymore.

GPFs apparently don't require active regeneration due to the heat from a petrol engine which should passively seven them, so may not require ECU modification. They will almost certainly require hollowing out or bypassing/removing. I doubt the pops and bangs would come back with the GPF removed as these would have probably been mapped out in the ECU to protect the GPF. A tuner may be able to add them back in though.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
OPF = ottopartikelfilter
Sorry, I work for a German engine manufacturer and I'm used to the German rather than worldwide 'GPF - gasoline particulate filter' version.

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
It's a massive shame, it's one of the reasons I love the car

Wonder what the implications of removing an OPF would be
I'm assuming there will be an sensor like with the cat's so removing will throw up the CEL. As above, it'll an MOT failure thing if it's removed etc

Jeggers

Sep 4, 2018
OPF = ottopartikelfilter
Sorry, I work for a German engine manufacturer and I'm used to the German rather than worldwide 'GPF - gasoline particulate filter' version.
That explains it! I googled OPF, but couldn't find it.

You work for an engineer manufacturer, do you think the GPFs will cause a lot of problems, like DPFs did when first introduced?

I'd also be interested to know if there is a sensor which could sense the particles still coming out? Surely they're too small for anything that they'd put in an exhaust to detect?

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
That explains it! I googled OPF, but couldn't find it.

You work for an engineer manufacturer, do you think the GPFs will cause a lot of problems, like DPFs did when first introduced?

I'd also be interested to know if there is a sensor which could sense the particles still coming out? Surely they're too small for anything that they'd put in an exhaust to detect?

I am a mechanical engineer and work for an engine manufacturer. I don’t think that GPF’s pose the same threat as DPF’s purely down to the higher exhaust gas temperatures in gasoline engines. It just means that GPFs will regenerate passively most of the time, which greatly simplifies the task of managing them. All the new engines need to drop the PN (particle number) by a factor of 10 to bring them in-line with diesel. An amount of that can be dealt with in-cylinder but only so much - gotta watch that knock!

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I am a mechanical engineer and work for an engine manufacturer. I don’t think that GPF’s pose the same threat as DPF’s purely down to the higher exhaust gas temperatures in gasoline engines. It just means that GPFs will regenerate passively most of the time, which greatly simplifies the task of managing them. All the new engines need to drop the PN (particle number) by a factor of 10 to bring them in-line with diesel. An amount of that can be dealt with in-cylinder but only so much - gotta watch that knock!
So what does that mean for the exhaust modifications?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
So what does that mean for the exhaust modifications?

It just means they need to find a place to fit a GPF and a cat. I honestly have no feel as to what effects it's going to have on the exhaust note other than it could potentially mute it slightly. The engineer in me hopes that Seat will have found a way to reduce back pressure in the rest of the system as the GPF adds another restriction and so will only serve to raise the cylinder temperature. I hope they have changed the mid resonator to be less restrictive (or even removed!) along with a less baffled rear silencer to reduce back pressure further down the line.
The customer in me doesn't care about the above and just wants to have it go pop pop bang crackle and NOT have copper S badges anywhere!

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
It seems the obtaining of a new Cupra actually hits SEAT employees too. Spoke to someone I know today who works for SEAT and they are in a car scheme which allows them new cars every six months. Previously they had Cupra’s but recently they have been told that the Cupra currently is not an option and an FR was supplied.

I know this doesn’t make anyone get their Cupra quicker but at least everyone is in the same boat. No priority for SEAT staff

AlexOS

It seems the obtaining of a new Cupra actually hits SEAT employees too. Spoke to someone I know today who works for SEAT and they are in a car scheme which allows them new cars every six months. Previously they had Cupra’s but recently they have been told that the Cupra currently is not an option and an FR was supplied.

I know this doesn’t make anyone get their Cupra quicker but at least everyone is in the same boat. No priority for SEAT staff
Kind of hard for them to get a Cupra when they aren't being built though... priority or not..

Reactions: CupraRobX

Smolyneux85

Jun 22, 2018
North West
Maybe it WILL be a free upgrade after all. The most annoying thing is that Seat are building my car in 4 days so of course they know exactly what the car is built with or else how is their production planning schedule going to be organised?
Maybe I should start a pole on which tyres they'll be fitted with! I'm still thinking about taking my less than a year old PS4S's off my current lease and putting the two old 5P's I've still got in the garage, then buy a couple of pre-worns from ebay and fitting them before BCA turn up.

4 more sleeps for me too :bounce: I'm being told mid to late October to arrive at the dealership. what delivery info have you been told?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Also on the ST FR sport. The 2.0 190 ps is a 7 speed box...
Is that DSG or manual??

Surely someone should check/peer review before they upload content...
3449bd02cae296bd55c9025bce301a3e.jpg

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
4 more sleeps for me too :bounce: I'm being told mid to late October to arrive at the dealership. what delivery info have you been told?

Carly at Lookers Stockport said three to four weeks after it’s build day they should have it in their compound. I’m hopefully going to arrange for my 290 to be collected by BCA toward the end of October then collect as soon after as possible! Who is supplying yours?

Smolyneux85

Jun 22, 2018
North West
Carly at Lookers Stockport said three to four weeks after it’s build day they should have it in their compound. I’m hopefully going to arrange for my 290 to be collected by BCA toward the end of October then collect as soon after as possible! Who is supplying yours?

Ordered with Seat JCT600 in Bradford via Gateway2lease. Can't wait to have a car again, been car less since 20th June!

so do you already have a 290?

Reactions: N8KOW

AlexOS

Is that DSG or manual??

Surely someone should check/peer review before they upload content...
3449bd02cae296bd55c9025bce301a3e.jpg

I think we all know it’s not a manual... since no one sells a 7 speed manual.. also it’s a DSG box..

I’m a class 1 truck driver, so have experience of 16 speed manual boxes (8 speed plus high/low splitter), but 8 have never seen a modern manual car box with more that 6 forward gears.. and I’m pretty confident Seat aren’t going to introduce one in the mk3 Leon...