Time for some new tyres... but which ones?

Aug 6, 2013
Thatcham, Berkshire
Not sure but about to get myself a pair of A3's to replace the A2's in the next week or so. From whats ive read on tyrereviews, they get a good write up.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
I have always used Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 but have noticed that the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 are out now, are these too new for anyone to have a decent idea if these are an improvement or otherwise?

The reviews seem good so far on the Asy 3's, but they come in at an "F" fuel rating; the Asy 2's are a "B" rating.
To many the fuel rating won't matter, but I value the extra fuel efficiency.

I'd like something that lasts even longer than the Asy 2's, but still has great wet and dry grip. It's a big trade-off really because the better grip you get the softer the tyre, so they're bound to wear quicker!

All said, I'll probably go for Asy 2's again because I can't find anything that outstrips them for what I really want.

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
A point I always bear in mind is how you want the car to perform, u want grip and safety go soft but get less miles or go hard and have less grip. Safety 1st cost 2nd. See if u can find an old fifth gear tyres test the hard tyres had shocking bad grip.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
A point I always bear in mind is how you want the car to perform, u want grip and safety go soft but get less miles or go hard and have less grip. Safety 1st cost 2nd. See if u can find an old fifth gear tyres test the hard tyres had shocking bad grip.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

That's what I've been thinking. I've been trying to find something that will perform like the asy's, but get more miles. It's not going to happen!

The only other tyre I think may do the job is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue, but I once had P-Zero's on the back (I think the car had them from the factory), and they didn't sit right on the Leon rims - they wore really weirdly and because of that made a horrific bumping noise constantly. Now I'm not sure I'd ever put Pirelli's on the Leon again.

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I am seeing widely differing fuel efficiency ratings for the Goodyear F1 depending it seems to me on the speed rating.

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
I am seeing widely differing fuel efficiency ratings for the Goodyear F1 depending it seems to me on the speed rating.

That's also true of the F1's.

The 94Y/91Y are a "C" fuel rating, and the 91V come in at "B".

The only trade-off, so to speak, is that the 94Y/91Y have an "A" wet grip rating, and the 91V have "B", so you win some, lose some.

How noticeable all of this is when actually out on the road I don't know!

What do you find better?

Last edited:

vwtrev

Flying Banana
Oct 29, 2015
Essex, united kingdom
Also worth considering when costing tyres is the tyre speed and load rating, do you need a tyre that will do a constant 170 mph, when your car will never be driven over 130mph? also if your whole car is less than 1400 kg, do you need to pay extra for tyres that can be used if your car weighed 2800 kgs.

e.g 91V = 160+ mph / 615 kg per tyre.
94Y = 180+ mph / 670 kg per tyre

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyrspeed.html
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreload.html

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Also worth considering when costing tyres is the tyre speed and load rating, do you need a tyre that will do a constant 170 mph, when your car will never be driven over 130mph? also if your whole car is less than 1400 kg, do you need to pay extra for tyres that can be used if your car weighed 2800 kgs.

e.g 91V = 160+ mph / 615 kg per tyre.
94Y = 180+ mph / 670 kg per tyre

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyrspeed.html
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyreload.html

A point well put, vwtrev!

My car left the production line with 91W tyres on it.

I'm looking at a set of Asy 2's on a 91V. I don't see there will be an issue with the slight drop in speed rating (168mph to 149mph) as I'm in the UK and will never see either of those speeds!

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
A point well put, vwtrev!

My car left the production line with 91W tyres on it.

I'm looking at a set of Asy 2's on a 91V. I don't see there will be an issue with the slight drop in speed rating (168mph to 149mph) as I'm in the UK and will never see either of those speeds!

Just be aware that if you fit tyres that are below the speed/load rating recommended by the manufacturer you could invalidate your insurance. And hence any protection you may have in an accident.
The following is from the
The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001

16. Tyres
6. Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

7. The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.

Last edited:

sfmk2.

Apr 5, 2012
Just be aware that if you fit tyres that are below the speed/load rating recommended by the manufacturer you could invalidate your insurance. And hence any protection you may have in an accident.
The following is from the
The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001

16. Tyres
6. Each wheel on each axle shall be equipped with a tyre which has a load capacity such that when the axle is loaded to its maximum permitted axle weight, the weight transmitted to the road surface by that tyre does not exceed that load capacity.

7. The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.

Certainly an interesting read, that!!

I've gone for Asy 3's this time as I noticed the 94Y's are "C" on fuel and "A" on grip, just like the Asy 2's... And they're cheaper slightly.

Time will tell!!

I hope I'm not rekindling this thread in 12 months again like this time!

Rainsport 3 = money pit!

Jaruba

Jun 18, 2014
Finland
I have now 225/40/18 Bridgestone Adrenalin RE002 in Leon Cupra R -10 (388bhp), dont buy these to car which is in daily use. Noise level is extremely loud and tyres wont roll good, fuel efficiency is bad.
I drove +10000km with these and it is enough

They dont give mercy to you but for trackday they are great choice. I drove +160km (~100 miles) in track and no problems with tyres. :D

Next tyre set will be 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4, GY asy 3 or continental sc 5

The_Saint

Apr 6, 2014
Cardiff
I just checked my car - of the four Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s, 3 are 91V and 1 is 91Y, never crossed my mind to check before, as the quoted max speed of the FR170 is 133 mph it is pretty academic though

CupraTOC

Apr 1, 2015
Vredestein ULTRAC SATIN XL.

Fantastic tyre in both wet and dry conditions and is or was last year, their latest rubber. Up there with Eagle F1 Assy 2s IMO, if not better!

Ordered from camskill and got them to price match jungletyres.