Picking up my Leon on Saturday!

Jimlad86

Mar 30, 2010
Gloucestershire
Hi Guys!

Thought I would share my excitement with you all! I have finally found a used Leon mk3 that meets my requirements and I bought it on sunday! Picking it up on saturday.

IMG_1922-1024x577.png

14 Reg with 6k on the clock. Its an SE 1.6 TDI with Tech pack. Apparently it was part of a Seat Employee car short term loan thing hence the 1 year old trade in.

Got a bargain on the price too.

Its going to be a sad day when I trade in my 07 Mk4 Ibiza FR though...its gonna take some getting used to the lower power but now we are a one car house we needed extra space.

Anyone any idea what happens with insurance on handover day? I will need to drive my car to the garage...but drive the new one away.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Anyone any idea what happens with insurance on handover day? I will need to drive my car to the garage...but drive the new one away.

Give the insurance company the new car details.

tell them swap over day

Usually they will allow you to be insured on both cars for the day

Some are funny about it and insist on a time
eg you are insured on the Ibiza up to 12 lunch - the leon insurance starts at 12.01

And don't forget to TAX it. There is no such thing as selling a car with the remaining tax on it any more - you need to tax a car the day you buy it.

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Give the insurance company a heads up on the new car details so they have them loaded on the system. Once you sign for the car, give the insurance company a quick call before you drive off. It will take a few minutes max.

Circumvents any silly clauses about what time either car is covered. You never know what delays will happen on the day.

thedigitalage

Mar 21, 2013
I wondered the same with my insurance as i've usually had someones "7 day free policy" to help me by. I gave new details and she said I had all day to switch so I could be driving either. I thought this was quite a long time, was expecting a 30 minute gap

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I'd always be weary of those '7 days drive away insurance' polices. The way they were explained to me was they're good enough to make it legal for you to drive off the forecourt and that's it.

They'll be the cheapest policy the dealer/manufacturer can get so no doubt will have a high excess and numerous restrictions and exclusions.

Jimlad86

Mar 30, 2010
Gloucestershire
I'd always be weary of those '7 days drive away insurance' polices. The way they were explained to me was they're good enough to make it legal for you to drive off the forecourt and that's it.

They'll be the cheapest policy the dealer/manufacturer can get so no doubt will have a high excess and numerous restrictions and exclusions.

I will definately avoid that then! Would be just my luck to prang my new car on the way home from picking it up!

thedigitalage

Mar 21, 2013
Yes, i've never actuallt relied on that policy, they don't really give you any idea of what it involves with excesses. If someone wants to think they've got an extra week of policy that's great, but to me it was switched asap. Considering they charge people insurance for a courtesy car, bu then offer this for free, something doesn't add up :)

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
The main use of the SEAT 7 day insurance is that the dealer can use it to tax the car without you having to post or take a new cert of insurance to him, very handy for that.

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
The main use of the SEAT 7 day insurance is that the dealer can use it to tax the car without you having to post or take a new cert of insurance to him, very handy for that.

Yes that's exactly what I use it for. Saves a lot of hassle if you don't live near your dealer.

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
Cars don't need to be insured to be taxed anymore.. My new car was taxed before I set up my own or the drive away insurance.. The seat drive away policy was poor and would only cover me...

Be aware if you use the drive away insurance and then put the car on your own policy make sure you cancel the drive away policy... You can't gave the same car insured with two policies.. Not sure if that's law or just insurance company policy though....

farrar

Mar 18, 2005
Be aware if you use the drive away insurance and then put the car on your own policy make sure you cancel the drive away policy... You can't gave the same car insured with two policies.. Not sure if that's law or just insurance company policy though....

You can have as many insurance policies on a car as you like no law against it. Kids these days buy the halfords etc. learner policies so can drive a car without using parents insurance.

Last edited:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
You can have as many insurance policies on a car as you like no law against it. Kids these days buy the halfords etc. learner policies so can drive a car without using parents insurance.

This is true, and if you have a claim, only one will only pay out, or share it between them, you can't get the value twice.

cjp2k

Nov 14, 2006
Durham/Teesside
This is true, and if you have a claim, only one will only pay out, or share it between them, you can't get the value twice.

Well you learn something new everyday. My wife worked for Churchill before going back to university, and she told me that... Will have words when I get in.... :whistle:

Jimlad86

Mar 30, 2010
Gloucestershire
Well at it was free and apparently its fine to have both, i have registered for the free insurance!

Ordered some floor mats today... its getting closer!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.