Alternative to Loba270,

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
I contacted turbo dynamics last week, to discuss modifying the oem turbo to overcome its weaknesses.

The loba in my opinion after running it for a while is a poor and expensive solution to the k03 turbo that we use. The standard oem unit is 1.1k and the loba is 1.7k. The only difference is an uprated bearing, larger turbine wheel and extended tips on compressor side. Although the flow charts from the turbo show around 270bhp at 1.7bar, it dosent take into account the engine its fitted to which struggles to run 1.7bar, thus your lucky to get 1.6bar limiting bhp output of the car to 250-255. Bearing in mind the car can achieve 235 from a good stage 2+ set-up on an oem turbo, 1.7k for 15-20bhp increase is ridiculous.(BTW a turbo company can create a imitation loba unit with your oem turbo for around £400......saving you £1300)

The problems that still exist are:

1. Very restrictive manifold(this and the ports in the block are responsible for the misfiring)
2. Compressor wheel which is too small to achieve good bhp figures less than 1.7 bar, which is down to the size, and also its not in the optimum efficiency range, resulting in too much heat which is a big catalyst to the misfiring.
3. The oil seal on the oem turbo is weak, and according to turbo dynamics, oil seals cannot be upgraded if the turbo remains the same(even if hybridized), obviously a concern if you want to run a decat or even a sports cat.

So after a helpful conversation with turbo dynamics, they are interested in doing some experimentation on my oem turbo to see what we can do to improve things. We were thinking along the lines of chopping the manifold off and seeing whats there, then fabricating a stainless steel manifold onto it via a v-band. then fitting a ko4 compressor housing and wheel(sticking to oem parts for cost and also availability). On the exhaust turbine side, we will see what we can do, how much we can bore out and if possible fit the ko4 turbine too. Target bhp goal at 1.6bar will be around 300bhp.

I was looking at a gtx2860r before this as it was the best solution for upgrading the turbo to a larger one, giving 320bhp potentially at around 1.6bar but it was considered to be a bit too laggy. If they released a gtx25 then that would be ideal but alas we are stuck with the old gt25 which spools at the same speed as the gtx28.

It will be getting sent in next week before I shoot off to Kenya for 6 weeks, ecu tuning is being done in that period and by the start of December, the car should be tuned and dynod and ready for battle.

Im sorry I couldn't get this down the strip this month but I will be first in the queue when the weather picks up next year. I'll update you all in December, laters............

Last edited:

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
Fredde (confide) on Briskoda has just bought a schwitzer SRX350 - limited details to go off at the mo, but something else to look at.

briskoda.net/forums/topic/186943-the-fabia-vrs-review-and-photo-thread/page-28

Interesting

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
As some of you know I'm running a hybrid for about a month now.
K04-23 wheels, 360 thrust and some other goodies. My boost numbers are now 1.7 bar hold, 1.8 bar over, 1.4 bar redline on stage 2 revo.
I haven't dynoed yet but I'm expecting no less than 20bhp gain as I've gained 3+ cars length on 50-210kph roll.
So for only 440 euros I think it was the best bang for my buck!

Good luck Lucifer!

Last edited:

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
Fredde (confide) on Briskoda has just bought a schwitzer SRX350 - limited details to go off at the mo, but something else to look at.

briskoda.net/forums/topic/186943-the-fabia-vrs-review-and-photo-thread/page-28

Interesting

Would still be concerned about spool up again with that turbo although I believe it's slightly smaller than the gtx28 so may spool better.

Sep 2, 2010
Leeds
So the loba ain't really worth it then? Would you need custom software to run this hybrid K04 or is it safe enough on the stage 2 file? Is it just a case of removing stock turbo, sending it off to get hybridised and then refitting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
You would need custom software, with the loba my car runs lean which is made worse by the pistons, but with a larger hybrid it's going to be much worse

That's why the loba is good, it works with standard map

Last edited:

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
So the loba ain't really worth it then? Would you need custom software to run this hybrid K04 or is it safe enough on the stage 2 file? Is it just a case of removing stock turbo, sending it off to get hybridised and then refitting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Loba isn't worth the money that's for sure.
Mine runs quite smoothly on stage 2 revo and moreover with an afr of 10, it's running quite rich which is safer for the engine. But we'll try to lean it up a bit so I can get more power.
The process is pretty much what you described.

Last edited:

JMWalton

Feb 25, 2014
This is a interesting thread , so I have a full catback , induction and am playing around with a intercooler. On my 150fr (1.4tsi) I'm thinking of having it mapped now as I'm not sure what else to do before the map what should I be aiming for ? Also how does the dsg box cope ? I notice there's not that much tuning / mods go on on here is there a vw/vag site with our engine for tuning?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
I think the experiences of a good few people with engine issues and the difficulties experienced by the brave few like Lucifer666 who have gone for big power has limited the number of people going for higher stages of tune. I see the same on Briskoda with most vRS' Fabia's only being tuned to Stage 1 or having TMC tuning boxes.

My Fabia is a keeper so I am looking at switching my downpipe for A race cat 100/200 cell. Pop in an uprated IC and going Stage 2. Beyond that I am really interested in Queens work with the K04 hybrid.

JMWalton

Feb 25, 2014
I see, what does stage 2 put you at? Also what's the difference between the fr 150 and cupra engines I thought they were identical (bar the ecu) but they don't seem to map as high with revo? Unless that's down the exhaust and intake both of witch I've eliminated

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
The Ibiza Cupra and Fabia vRS and Polo GTI and A1 run a twincharged version of the 1.4tsi.

They have a supercharger and turbocharger, SC runs between 2500 and 3500rpm and hands over to Turbo higher RPM

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
I would hope to go from around 210bhp (current stage 1) to 230bhp for Stage 2.

JMWalton

Feb 25, 2014
Yes mine's the twincharged version aswell , I've just called up my revo mapper they said it was mainly the exhaust and that I should be able to get about 240 from a intercooler and map along with my current mods so happy days :D

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
Ok nice, my bad, I though the 150 was turbo only, shows my lack of knowledge on the Ibiza's.

Keep me posted on the upgrades, we will hopefully be working on some improved power at the same sort of time.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
havent been on here for a while. Set myself a series of races and physical challenges this year now that im leaving the parachute regiment and have time off to do them. Not even seen the car for a month now

Timing chain got fixed and then i needed to do a further pcv mod and reverse the mod that tsr installed because it didnt work and made things slightly worse.

The good news is the turbo is now on and is not smoking, but we are struggling to tune it because we keep getting two weird errors flash up constantly, so its leaning towards the ecu being damaged, we found the bundle of wires taped together to have been damaged somehow. Possibly during the engine rebuild, possibly by removing the battery holder. This may have short circuited the ecu. If we can get rid of these codes then we are good for 300bhp

Last edited:

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
current turbo spec:

loba270 with:-

k04-64 compressor wheel from the golf R, but a better flowing turbo dynamics billet version
ported manifold
staggered gap piston rings (oil seal mod)

the intake side of the turbo needed to be sleeved in order to get this wheel in, very time consuming process.

Sparkly

Mean and Green
Sep 18, 2013
I called Turbo Dynamics today to get some prices on this Lucifer. Well the TD spec hybrid K03

Been feeling like there aren't enough high powered 1.4 twinchargers in the Uk

Last edited:

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
just be aware, the turbo dynamics hybrid is equivlent to the loba, just using their own wheels. Its NOT what I have. Mine was a one off, i managed to persuade alex to do it for me but it hasnt been mapped on yet so we wont know for sure it will work until we try it. Now by all means go for the turbo dynamics hybrid but be aware it will prob have the same problems with mapping as the loba and will more than likely smoke with a decat. I would advise if you are still keen on the hybrid to make sure they fit staggered gap piston rings, and also fit the astra vxr oil restrictor bolt.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.