DGJ's Leon Cupra TDI - Staggered Rims, AP Coilovers, 312mm Brakes, Milltek Turbo-Back

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
They were Golf mk4 Recaros. I know you can get the LCR Recaros (which I love the rear bench of) but I don't want the red stitching and can't afford to get a full retrim so was going for some slightly damaged Golf ones instead but didn't get them.

I've gone for those brakes though :D cheers for the link mate ;)

They guy is going to check the disc size for me after as it just says big brakes on the ad, but they include the carriers if they're the right size so well worth a go!

Once I get paid for some work I did before Christmas I'll be ordering a front ARB, refurb the brakes and get those swapped over, and then look at what else I can afford money and time wise before Ultimate Dubs :)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I'll be going for this one off eBay, a couple of guys on here have had them and said they do the job! I won't be tracking the car or anything so don't want to spend hundreds on one that won't get used properly.

The LCR one won't fit as it is held on to the shocks on drop links where as ours are attached to the wishbones (Cupras and non-Cupras).

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Nothing been done to the car recently due to the weather but started getting a couple of bits together!

After a 5 hour round trip (should have been 4 but got messed around a bit) I picked up my 312mm brake conversion set up!

IMAG0128.jpg

As the guy had advertised the brakes incorrectly (2006 Mk2 brakes advertised as 2004 Mk1 Cupras) the guy let me have a look round the workshop and find what I needed, which turned out to be these 312mm discs with callipers, carriers and pads, as well as Seat Leon shocks/springs which are surplus to requirements ;)

IMAG0127.jpg

Not bad considering I only paid for the brakes :D

I also ordered the anti roll bar linked above, arrived the next day and is now sat in the stock room in work until I get a dry day and someone to help me fit it!

IMAG0133.jpg

IMAG0134.jpg

That's it for now, will start the carrier refurb soon and get the discs cleaned up ready to go on. I'm using my callipers for the conversion as they are in better condition and it means I don't have to worry about disconnecting brake lines or anything. Will update this when I have some more to report :)

Jul 9, 2012
Looking god bud if u n if u want I've got the cast s3 wishbones and s3 hubs wil power flex bushes if u want them give me a pm or txt

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I'm not too fussed if it doesn't to be honest, the coilovers have helped a great deal and I just want to get rid of the knocking and creaking on these pot-holed and speed-humped roads :p

Rear ARB is when the handling gets sorted ;)

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Cheers mate :D wish I had a bit more progress to report but I've tried taking the calipers/carriers/discs apart today to start refurbing the carriers and clean the discs and found that the caliper bolts are a bitch to do! But nothing compared to the carrier to hub bolts, have almost ripped my thumb off trying to get the bolts out.

Ideally I need a breaker bar and some pipe to give me enough leverage but the bolts seem pretty seized. Have tried some WD on the bolts and caliper bolts and left for around 30 mins but still nothing :cry: may just drill the bolts out if I can't get them out with a socket, will keep you updated with how I get on.

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
I haven't got screws in my discs, the heads popped off lol

How do they stay in then!? :blink:

Well I managed to get the carriers separated from the hub (yay!) and one of the discs off as well, but I've tried to drill/chisel/brute force the other screw out and the disc is still stuck fast....

Could it just be corroded on to the hub? I've drilled the head plus about 3mm off the screw and the thing still won't budge :cry: any ideas?

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
the wheel bolts hold it in now lol, pain in the ass with the spacers to get the two fronts on!! try smashing the hub off the disc? Don't smash the disc off the hub though if you want to use them lol

KarlB1

Nov 15, 2012
Aylesbury
Absolutely love your TDi mate, was after a platinum grey one before i got my ovni...but all the ones near me had near on 200k miles with no service history..I'll just have to settle for my damaged ovni paint for now :(
May be forking some money out on new turbo and camshaft soon aswell though :( should have just got a high mileage platinum one haha.

Have you had the mufflerectomy yet? Loved having mine done, think i paid £100 for a bespoke exhaust place to cut the box off and weld 2.25 inch ( i think) pipe on and had a Cupra R style tip on the end.

Can't really see it much, but here's a video for the sound..

Nice little burble at idle but you can't really hear it. No extra noise in the car really and you get the lovely wooshing of the veins in the turbo :D

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
the wheel bolts hold it in now lol, pain in the ass with the spacers to get the two fronts on!! try smashing the hub off the disc? Don't smash the disc off the hub though if you want to use them lol

Ah fair enough, wondered how the hell you managed it! I eventually got them off, I had tried tapping the discs with a hammer a couple of times and then thought better of it. In the end I used the carrier bolt and a chisel as a lever and the thing literally popped off! No pics of the separated parts though as my Mac has decided to stop working (which I stupidly haven't backed up...ever!) and photobucket on my phone keeps crashing.

Absolutely love your TDi mate, was after a platinum grey one before i got my ovni...but all the ones near me had near on 200k miles with no service history..I'll just have to settle for my damaged ovni paint for now :(
May be forking some money out on new turbo and camshaft soon aswell though :( should have just got a high mileage platinum one haha.

Have you had the mufflerectomy yet? Loved having mine done, think i paid £100 for a bespoke exhaust place to cut the box off and weld 2.25 inch ( i think) pipe on and had a Cupra R style tip on the end.

Thanks mate, appreciate the kind words :) yeah the platinum are pretty hard to come across with low mileage, got mine on 58k and paid a little extra but it's been relatively sound up to now, serviced and cambelt done so not worrying about that for a while.

No I haven't got it done yet, I'm debating whether to get the cat removed at the same time. Also been quoted £85 just for the back box being cut out and 3 feet of mild steel welded in, but I have to supply the tip!! Meaning with the tip I want I'm looking at £135 all in just for the back box....I'm going to try and find somewhere that will do both cat and back box for around that price or a little more.

However, that depends on whether I stay with the standard turbo or not as I may look in to a hybrid or slightly bigger turbo to take me over the 200bhp mark in the next few years, in which case I will have wasted money doing the cat unless I go for a downpipe de-cat now! Decisions, decisions :blink:.......

cooky25

Derv is the word!
Nov 4, 2011
Taunton, Somerset

Can't really see it much, but here's a video for the sound..

Nice little burble at idle but you can't really hear it. No extra noise in the car really and you get the lovely wooshing of the veins in the turbo :D

Definately doing this!

Love that sound :funk:

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
Your winning now then with the brakes! Your cars mapped right? What's it done to and who by? Also what was the oe clutch like with it?

Yeah they're getting there! Ordere some rust-remover bath stuff before so should get them cleaned off soon and then get the carriers and my current callipers painted before fitting. Then I'll just sell my old carriers and the callipers that I bought along with the suspension struts.

No I haven't got a remap yet! Still debating which way I want to go as this is my daily but I would like to have the power to surprise the odd BMW who gets too close to my bumper :whistle:

Definately doing this!

Love that sound :funk:

Agreed, that is the best sound to be had from a derv IMO!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.